Re: Spell checker.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PeeCee, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "S/B 954RR" <> wrote in message
    > So I got a Vista laptop and have had lots of problems, mainly unrelated to
    > Vista but the crashes and other problems combined have managed to appeal
    > to my irrational side. When I decided to replace my family desktop I went
    > to Ebay for an XP unit and found what I think is a great bargain. It's a
    > Dell XP Pro, P4, 2.79 GHz, 4GB RAM and a 250G hard drive for $358 shipped.
    > Anyways, I found something odd with OE. There is no spell checker, when I
    > go to tolls spelling... is there but I can't use it. I don't know if this
    > is the result of the clean install or what. I rarely use the option but
    > when spelling doesn't seem right I like to have it as a backup. How can I
    > correct this?

    OE does not include a spell checker in a default XP install.
    The 'official' way is to remedy this is to install Microsoft Office.
    The unoffical (and perfectly legitimate) way is to use something like this:

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Feb 4, 2009

  2. PeeCee

    tom Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "S/B 954RR" <> wrote in message
    >> So I got a Vista laptop and have had lots of problems, mainly unrelated
    >> to Vista but the crashes and other problems combined have managed to
    >> appeal to my irrational side. When I decided to replace my family
    >> desktop I went to Ebay for an XP unit and found what I think is a great
    >> bargain. It's a Dell XP Pro, P4, 2.79 GHz, 4GB RAM and a 250G hard drive
    >> for $358 shipped. Anyways, I found something odd with OE. There is no
    >> spell checker, when I go to tolls spelling... is there but I can't use
    >> it. I don't know if this is the result of the clean install or what. I
    >> rarely use the option but when spelling doesn't seem right I like to have
    >> it as a backup. How can I correct this?
    >>

    > OE does not include a spell checker in a default XP install.
    > The 'official' way is to remedy this is to install Microsoft Office.
    > The unoffical (and perfectly legitimate) way is to use something like
    > this:
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.