Re: Spell checker.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by S/B 954RR, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. S/B 954RR

    S/B 954RR Guest

    > S/B 954RR wrote:
    >
    >> Anyways, I found something odd with OE. There is no spell checker,

    > OE does not have a spell checker. Never ever did.
    >
    >> when I go to tolls spelling... is there but I can't use it.

    > "tolls spelling?"

    I can't figure that one out...

    >> I don't know if this is the result of the clean install or what.

    > No. You can install a third-party spell checker, or you can buy and add
    > Microsoft Word. OE will then use Word's spell checker.

    That is probably the issue. I haven't installed office yet.

    > Or, you can switch to a modern email program, such as Thunderbird, which
    > already has a spell checker. And a spam filter. And doesn't corrupt
    > itself. And ...
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird

    I've used TBird in the past and found that it didn't work as well (easily?)
    as OE as a newsreader. I don't remember if it was filtering or sorting but
    something turned me off. New PC though so maybe it is time to try it again.
    Thanks for the reply.
    S/B 954RR, Feb 4, 2009

  2. S/B 954RR

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing S/B 954RR <> bada bang:
    > I've used TBird in the past and found that it didn't work as well (easily?)
    > as OE as a newsreader. I don't remember if it was filtering or sorting but
    > something turned me off. New PC though so maybe it is time to try it again.

    This is rather amusing. Neither OE nor Thunderbird are
    newsreaders which leaves them both wanting in that area.

    Mike "have you tried reading with WinAmp yet?" Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
    - William of Ockhamc
    Mike Yetto, Feb 4, 2009

  3. S/B 954RR wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> S/B 954RR wrote:
    >>> Anyways, I found something odd with OE. There is no spell checker,

    >> OE does not have a spell checker. Never ever did.
    >>
    >>> when I go to tolls spelling... is there but I can't use it.

    >> "tolls spelling?"

    > I can't figure that one out...

    I didn't see it last night, but did you mean the "Tools menu"? Paying
    tolls on the Turnpike was stuck in my mind.

    >>> I don't know if this is the result of the clean install or what.

    >> No. You can install a third-party spell checker, or you can buy and
    >> add Microsoft Word. OE will then use Word's spell checker.

    > That is probably the issue. I haven't installed office yet.

    If you already own it, well ok, but if not, look into OpenOffice which
    does the same thing, and is free.

    >> Or, you can switch to a modern email program, such as Thunderbird,
    >> which already has a spell checker. And a spam filter. And doesn't
    >> corrupt itself. And ...
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird

    > I've used TBird in the past and found that it didn't work as well
    > (easily?) as OE as a newsreader. I don't remember if it was
    > filtering or sorting but something turned me off. New PC though so
    > maybe it is time to try it again. Thanks for the reply.

    I have never found anything bad about Thunderbird for email, and I have
    been using it since version 0.2. It's user-set filtering capabilities
    are about the same as OE (which is to say poor), other than the
    auto-Junk mail filtering, which is pretty good.

    I'd suggest that - if Usenet is more than a casual thing for you - that
    you use a separate news reader, something specifically designed for the
    purpose. I like 40tude Dialog, which is very powerful and has great
    filtering (killfiling) capabilities.

    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

    --
    -bts