Re: Special Mandate - Worldwide Photowalk

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Sep 2, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Sep 1, 3:24 pm, SI Committee <>
    wrote:
    >          Thanks to Robert Coe, this special mandate is raised.
    >
    >                 Sign up for the photowalk nearest you.
    >                      http://worldwidephotowalk.com/
    >
    >            Then select your best three photos for the SI.
    >
    >               PHOTOS DUE:  Sunday, 2012.10.14::23:59 [1]

    > [1] If there is no photowalk convenient to where you are and live or
    >      if there is no room available, you may take photos on Sat. 14 Oct
    >      2012.  All three (3) of your photos must be taken within a single
    >      2 (two) hour period on that day.

    Now I'm really confused. I try to obey the rules, but what if there
    isn't any Sat. 14 Oct 2012??? And we are supposed to turn in the
    photos on Sunday of the same date? How can this be?

    Also, if we provide geotags, will the map feature in pbase work?

    otter, Sep 2, 2012

  2. otter

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 22:29:50 -0700 (PDT), otter <>
    wrote:
    : On Sep 1, 3:24 pm, SI Committee <>
    : wrote:
    : >          Thanks to Robert Coe, this special mandate is raised.
    : >
    :
    : > [1] If there is no photowalk convenient to where you are and live or
    : >      if there is no room available, you may take photos on Sat. 14 Oct
    : >      2012.  All three (3) of your photos must be taken within a single
    : >      2 (two) hour period on that day.
    :
    :
    :
    : Now I'm really confused. I try to obey the rules, but what if there
    : isn't any Sat. 14 Oct 2012??? And we are supposed to turn in the
    : photos on Sunday of the same date? How can this be?
    :
    : Also, if we provide geotags, will the map feature in pbase work?

    Yeah, and what if the walk takes more than two hours? Don't we get to use the
    entire time? What about afterwards at the Boston Beer Works? Do pictures taken
    there count? Enquiring minds want to know!

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 2, 2012

  3. otter

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 20:32:50 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:
    : On 2012.09.02 20:23 , wrote:
    : >
    : > There's one [Kelby walk] coming up in Hudson... that could be quite
    : > scenic...
    :
    : I noticed that after I signed up for the Montreal walk. If you come to
    : the Montreal walk however I'll let you buy me a beer. I know, I know,
    : but I'm just feeling generous.
    :
    : One of the core principles (for lack of a better word) of the photowalk
    : is it's supposed to be in a "hip" part of town. There's not much of
    : Hudson to begin with - as to hip? (rich and owning horses doesn't
    : count, I don't think).

    What "Hudson" are you guys talking about? It sure as Hell can't be our
    immediate neighbor, Hudson, Massachusetts. There's not a Hudson, P.Q.; is
    there?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 3, 2012
  4. otter

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 02 Sep 2012 in rec.photo.equipment.35mm, Robert Coe wrote:

    > What "Hudson" are you guys talking about? It sure as Hell can't be
    > our immediate neighbor, Hudson, Massachusetts. There's not a Hudson,
    > P.Q.; is there?

    If he's talking about Hudson, New York, it's an interesting place. It
    was a whaling port in the 19th century; became decrepit in the 20th; and
    is slowly making a comeback. Part of that is that it's a not-overly-
    difficult 2-hour commute from New York City by train or car, and people
    have started moving up, gentrifying the place, driving up home prices and
    driving out the locals.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, Sep 3, 2012
  5. otter

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:23:09 -0400, Bowser <> wrote:
    : On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:23:33 -0400, Alan Browne
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : >On 2012.09.02 01:29 , otter wrote:
    : >> On Sep 1, 3:24 pm, SI Committee <>
    : >> wrote:
    : >>> Thanks to Robert Coe, this special mandate is raised.
    : >>>
    : >>> Sign up for the photowalk nearest you.
    : >>> http://worldwidephotowalk.com/
    : >>>
    : >>> Then select your best three photos for the SI.
    : >>>
    : >>> PHOTOS DUE: Sunday, 2012.10.14::23:59 [1]
    : >>
    : >>> [1] If there is no photowalk convenient to where you are and live or
    : >>> if there is no room available, you may take photos on Sat. 14 Oct
    : >>> 2012. All three (3) of your photos must be taken within a single
    : >>> 2 (two) hour period on that day.
    : >>
    : >>
    : >>
    : >> Now I'm really confused. I try to obey the rules, but what if there
    : >> isn't any Sat. 14 Oct 2012??? And we are supposed to turn in the
    : >> photos on Sunday of the same date? How can this be?
    : >
    : >I screwed up, didn't I? I'm sure you can figure out what to do.
    :
    : Simple, we move back in time to a point where the dates and times will
    : line up, and hope that there's a photlwalk taking place on that day
    : during the times specified by the Shoot-In Dictator. God, this is so
    : simple I'm surprised I even had to mention it.
    :
    : I'm signed up for the Marblehead, MA walk, if indeed it does take
    : place after I've warped back in time.

    Anybody else sign up for the walk that leaves from near North Station? The
    first one on the Boston list, at Copley Square, was already fully subscribed.
    The North Station walk should have as many interesting sites, but my take is
    that one is more likely to need a wide-angle lens.

    : If I DO go back in time, my GX1 won't disappear, will it?

    You'll never see it again in this reference frame.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 3, 2012
  6. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:30:27 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2012.09.03 11:23 , Bowser wrote:
    >
    >>> I screwed up, didn't I? I'm sure you can figure out what to do.

    >> Simple, we move back in time to a point where the dates and times will
    >> line up, and hope that there's a photlwalk taking place on that day
    >> during the times specified by the Shoot-In Dictator. God, this is so

    >It's so funny that in a prior administration there was the committee and
    >now there is the Dictator.

    I don't see it as an unfriendly thing. You've been more active in
    promoting SI than we've seen of late, so you have a higher profile.

    Personally, I see you as the Photo Czar and SavageDuck as leading the
    "War on apathy".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 3, 2012
  7. otter

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 12:28:35 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    : On 2012-09-05 10:51:28 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    :
    : > On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:30:27 -0400, Alan Browne
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
    : >> On 2012.09.03 11:23 , Bowser wrote:
    : >>
    : >>>> I screwed up, didn't I? I'm sure you can figure out what to do.
    : >>>
    : >>> Simple, we move back in time to a point where the dates and times will
    : >>> line up, and hope that there's a photlwalk taking place on that day
    : >>> during the times specified by the Shoot-In Dictator. God, this is so
    : >>
    : >> It's so funny that in a prior administration there was the committee and
    : >> now there is the Dictator.
    : >
    : > I thought the title "Warlord" might be insulting. I guess you should
    : > ask the committee about titles. I did, and it lead to some very
    : > interesting conversations.
    :
    : When all else fails refer to "3rd Rock from the Sun" and the William
    : Shatner (we had to have a Canadian) role of the "Big Giant Head".
    :
    : Certainly not Lithgow's "The High Commander" he is subordinate to the
    : "Big Giant Head", and since he was born in Rochester, only "almost
    : Canadian".
    :
    : So I submit to the Committee, the title "Big Giant Head" for consideration.

    Robert Coe, Sep 8, 2012
  8. otter

    wrote:
    : On 2012-09-05 10:51:28 -0700, Bowser <> said:
    :
    : > On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:30:27 -0400, Alan Browne
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
[...]

    There is, of course, the familiar Orwellian euphemism "Big Brother", although
    I think I like "Big Giant Head" a little better. We'd have to consider how he
    should be referred to ("His Capitance"?) and addressed ("Gigantic Sir"?)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 8, 2012
  9. otter

    Bruce Guest

    Re: [SI] Special Mandate - Worldwide Photowalk

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >There is, of course, the familiar Orwellian euphemism "Big Brother", although
    >I think I like "Big Giant Head" a little better. We'd have to consider how he
    >should be referred to ("His Capitance"?) and addressed ("Gigantic Sir"?)

    I note that, as usual, follow up posts seem to be missing the
    essential [SI] in the subject line that should enable all posts
    related to this festival of mind-numbing mediocrity to be filtered.

    As for the titles, I suggest "Big Dick Head" addressed as "Your
    Self-Appointed Asshole of a Nonentity".

    Please ensure that follow-ups include [SI] so those with a desire for
    sanity to return to the photo newsgroups can avoid seeing them. ;-)

    Bruce, Sep 8, 2012
  10. otter

    Huuter Guest

    Fautography!

    On 2012.09.08 11:40 , Bruce wrote:

    > I note that, as usual, follow up posts seem to be missing the
    > essential [SI] in the subject line that should enable all posts
    > related to this festival of mind-numbing mediocrity to be filtered.

    I guess you'll just have to suck it up asshole.

    > As for the titles, I suggest "Big Dick Head" addressed as "Your
    > Self-Appointed Asshole of a Nonentity".

    Says the fauxtographer with the most usenet hours per crappy photo on
    the planet.[1]

    > Please ensure that follow-ups include [SI] so those with a desire for
    > sanity to return to the photo newsgroups can avoid seeing them. ;-)

    Noted. Everyone will so their utmost to please you - and when that
    doesn't happen, just STFU and endure like a good little
    stiff-upper-lipped Brit with a limp dick.

    [1] The Tony "Bruce" Polson gallery:

    http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?september98/09-24-98/d9000a.jpg
    http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?september98/09-24-98/d9000b.jpg
    http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?september98/09-24-98/d9000c.jpg
    http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?september98/09-24-98/d9000d.jpg

    Professional Tony "Bruce" Polson Product shots from his studio:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/all6e7aqk8zs8vt/TP TEAC.jpg

    Huuter, Sep 8, 2012
  11. otter

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: Fautography!

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 11:52:43 -0400, Huuter <> wrote:
[...]

    What I'm about to say doesn't suggest the slightest sympathy for Bruce's
    opinions of the SI or for the boorish manner in which he presents them.

    But constantly trotting out those railroad pictures as indicative of his
    photographic skills is absurd. Those pictures were taken in 1998!! I daresay
    most of us had never even seen a digital camera in 1998. I had (though I never
    actually used it myself), and the pictures it took were, by today's standards,
    godawful. In that context, Bruce's pictures are actually pretty good. Why
    don't you show us some of the pictures *you* took in 1998?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 8, 2012
  12. otter

    PeterN Guest

    Re: Fautography!

    On 9/8/2012 1:08 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012.09.08 12:21 , Robert Coe wrote:
    >
    >> What I'm about to say doesn't suggest the slightest sympathy for Bruce's
    >> opinions of the SI or for the boorish manner in which he presents them.
    >>
    >> But constantly trotting out those railroad pictures as indicative of his
    >> photographic skills is absurd. Those pictures were taken in 1998!! I
    >> daresay

    > The "product shot", that you snipped, he put up in about 2008 when he
    > was a member of photo.net.
    >
    > So much for skill development in the digital era!
    >
    > Why hasn't he "trotted out" any other photos to show at least a passing
    > capability? His answers to that question have been absurdly silly.
    >
    > Further, of course there is his assertion that one of his photos was the
    > cover of Paris Match sometime in the 70's. He's never shown that photo,
    > nor indicated the issue date/number - and yes, he's been asked many
    > times by many people - no reply to that one. One would expect that a
    > Paris Match cover shooter in the 70's had better skills than what the
    > choo-choo shots suggest.
    >
    >> most of us had never even seen a digital camera in 1998. I had (though
    >> I never
    >> actually used it myself), and the pictures it took were, by today's
    >> standards,
    >> godawful. In that context, Bruce's pictures are actually pretty good. Why
    >> don't you show us some of the pictures *you* took in 1998?

    > I can't reply for Huuter of course, but here are some of my own since
    > Tony "Bruce" Polson seems to go out of his way to attack me constantly.
    >
    > I'd have to dig some out and scan them to beyond what's below. (Don't
    > hold your breath).
    >
    > (1986) Kodachrome 25
    > https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fzu111bnz63w0a/PeggysCoveLight_86 copy.jpg
    >
    > (1997)
    > http://gallery.photo.net/photo/822720-lg.jpg
    >
    > (1997 - excuse the poor dust cleaning - one of my earlier scan efforts).
    > https://www.dropbox.com/s/046s6orkz19ciun/CF-TCC - Mirabel - 97-2 copy.JPG
    >

    > http://gallery.photo.net/photo/682275-lg.jpg (2000)
    > http://gallery.photo.net/photo/801179-lg.jpg (2000) same day and
    > location as prior.
    >
    > I'm not saying that any of the above are great - but they are properly
    > exposed, focused and reasonably well framed. Magnificent when compared
    > to anything Polson has put up. Actually that was the phrase that got
    > Polson so obsessed with me: "Put up or shut up."
    >
    > There are many others of a personal nature so I won't put them up here
    > and many, many, many more that I would have to dig through and scan -
    > and I'm not doing that for this purpose.

    Sounds familiar. I still don't believe that he really plonked anybody.
    He's too supercilious not to want to know what people are saying about him.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 8, 2012
  13. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/8/2012 11:40 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >> There is, of course, the familiar Orwellian euphemism "Big Brother", although
    >> I think I like "Big Giant Head" a little better. We'd have to consider how he
    >> should be referred to ("His Capitance"?) and addressed ("Gigantic Sir"?)

    > I note that, as usual, follow up posts seem to be missing the
    > essential [SI] in the subject line that should enable all posts
    > related to this festival of mind-numbing mediocrity to be filtered.
    >
    > As for the titles, I suggest "Big Dick Head" addressed as "Your
    > Self-Appointed Asshole of a Nonentity".
    >
    > Please ensure that follow-ups include [SI] so those with a desire for
    > sanity to return to the photo newsgroups can avoid seeing them. ;-)

    Pomposity reigns, supreme.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 8, 2012