Re: Spammed ebay Photographs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve Young, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    "Woodchuck Bill" <> wrote

    > "Tony" <> wrote

    >> Ebay abuse
    >>
    >> Ebay contact, including SPAM complaints:

    > Actually, it is not considered enforceable Usenet spam unless it was
    > posted at least 20 times, to different groups. And..Ebay only considers
    > Usenet pointers a violation if there is a charter ban in place. This
    > post by the OP is totally legal here.

    Of course you're right Bill, but I'm real disappointed that you and your
    cronies had a chance to take a stand on the charter issue and you snubbed
    your noses at us. Now here you are, rubbing our noses in it:

    > The four new digital photography groups, OTOH, have explicit bans on
    > auction pointers in their charters. This post by the OP would be an
    > enforceable violation in any of those groups..as would any signature
    > with more than four lines, like yours, Tony.

    You shouldn't be so smug about your 'stuffed box' win Bill

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Oct 25, 2004

  2. "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in news:4K6dnS41LMaJw-HcRVn-
    :

    >> Actually, it is not considered enforceable Usenet spam unless it was
    >> posted at least 20 times, to different groups. And..Ebay only considers
    >> Usenet pointers a violation if there is a charter ban in place. This
    >> post by the OP is totally legal here.

    > Of course you're right Bill, but I'm real disappointed that you and your
    > cronies had a chance to take a stand on the charter issue and you snubbed
    > your noses at us. Now here you are, rubbing our noses in it:

    You heard Russ and Todd. They will not accept proposals to change charters
    of existing groups. There is no mechanism for such a change.

    You were, OTOH, told that you would have the full backing and support of
    NAN if you would like to volunteer your time and money to create and run
    such a system. That was your chance. You blew it. You want things to
    happen, but you don't want to put in the time and money to do it on your
    own..yet, you expect others to volunteer their resources to do what *you*
    want done. Stop whining about everyone else's refusal to advance your
    agenda. Get off your lazy butt and do something about it.

    --
    Bill

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    "Woodchuck Bill" <> wrote

    > "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote

    (Author missing):
    >>> Actually, it is not considered enforceable Usenet spam unless it was
    >>> posted at least 20 times, to different groups. And..Ebay only
    >>> considers Usenet pointers a violation if there is a charter
    >>> ban in place. This post by the OP is totally legal here.

    >> Of course you're right Bill, but I'm real disappointed that you and
    >> your cronies had a chance to take a stand on the charter issue
    >> and you snubbed your noses at us. Now here you are, rubbing
    >> our noses in it:

    > You heard Russ and Todd. They will not accept proposals to change
    > charters of existing groups. There is no mechanism for such a change.

    So why didn't you at least echo your support? All you want to do is
    finger point and take what you've been able to get. Where does
    Woodchuck Bill stand on the issue?

    > You were, OTOH, told that you would have the full backing and support of
    > NAN if you would like to volunteer your time and money to create and run
    > such a system. That was your chance. You blew it.

    Bill, I didn't blow anything. NOTHING IS A ONE MAN BAND!
    Everything on Usenet needs to grow a consensus of support. Why won't you
    help that consensus?

    reread your shameful text:
    > You want things to
    > happen, but you don't want to put in the time and money to do it on your
    > own..yet, you expect others to volunteer their resources to do what
    > *you* want done. Stop whining about everyone else's refusal to advance
    > your agenda. Get off your lazy butt and do something about it.

    Dude, I've been way ahead of the pack with the hard work on this.
    Don't you now see others talking about the need and desire? It is growing

    You are missing the key to all of this Bill. No *one* individual can do
    something and ram it down everyone else's throats. You are DAMN *lucky*
    there are people who want to clean up the new group voting process. Do
    you have any guesses as to why they want to do that? How clued are you?

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Oct 25, 2004
  4. "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in news:x_6dndshN72Y8-HcRVn-
    :

    >> You heard Russ and Todd. They will not accept proposals to change
    >> charters of existing groups. There is no mechanism for such a change.

    > Where does Woodchuck Bill stand on the issue?

    I would support something like that if someone comes forward to create and
    maintain such a system. Quite a few of the news groupies have also
    expressed support.

    Russ Allbery and Todd McComb both have full time careers, and on the side
    they run NAN. There are only two active votetakers left on the UVV, David E
    Smith and Bill Aten. Those four individuals dedicate almost all of their
    free time to Usenet community service. Their hands are full, and you can't
    blame them for not being able to add another workload to the fire when they
    have other things on backlog like Moderator Vacancy Investigions, RFDs,
    CFVs, maintaining their servers, etc... How much of a workload do you
    expect four volunteers with day jobs to take on, when they are already
    *very* far behind?

    What is preventing you from voluteering your services?

    Have you ever considered that fact that you are pretty much the only person
    to ever bring this charter-changing business up? If you feel it is so
    important, why aren't you *doing* something about it?

    --
    Bill

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004
  5. "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in news:x_6dndshN72Y8-HcRVn-
    :

    > Don't you now see others talking about the need and desire?

    No.

    --
    Bill

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    "Woodchuck Bill" <> wrote

    > "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote

    >> Don't you now see others talking about the need and desire?

    > No.

    You are not following things close enough then to be running your mouth
    with the things you've been saying about me. I can count a dozen news
    groupies that have suggested agreement/support. Try Guy Macon for one.
    The process is one by one.

    This ring a bell?

    Steve Young, Oct 25, 2004
  7. "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in news:__mdnTk3_tCN6uHcRVn-
    :

    >> No.

    > You are not following things close enough then to be running your mouth
    > with the things you've been saying about me. I can count a dozen news
    > groupies that have suggested agreement/support. Try Guy Macon for one.
    > The process is one by one.

    You are twisting my words. I said in the other thread that there are a good
    number of news groupies in favor. The problem is that we need a volunteer
    to do the word. Are you willing to do it?

    --
    Bill

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    "Woodchuck Bill" <> wrote

    (A missing author) said:
    >>> No.

    >> You are not following things close enough then to be running your mouth
    >> with the things you've been saying about me. I can count a dozen news
    >> groupies that have suggested agreement/support. Try Guy Macon for one.
    >> The process is one by one.

    > You are twisting my words.

    Wot!? >> Don't you now see others talking about the need and desire?
    > No.

    > I said in the other thread that there are a good
    > number of news groupies in favor.

    cite please

    > The problem is that we need a volunteer
    > to do the word.

    No, it needs a voting system that works first
    and then possibly a few new user groups. (*possibly*)

    You are *very* *very* lucky on your timing Bill

    > Are you willing to do it?

    Bill, Bill, Bill, I've been working on this for 4 or 5 years.
    Back then, only Helge Nareid and a few foresighted denizens agreed.

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Oct 25, 2004
  9. "Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote in news:eek:8SdnQjeO_lxG-HcRVn-
    :

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004
  10. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    "Woodchuck Bill" <> wrote

    (mysterious author) wrote:
    >>> I said in the other thread that there are a good
    >>> number of news groupies in favor.

    >> cite please

    Message id or article number Xns958CEE1F68055bswr607h4@130.133.1.4 not
    found. No pages were found containing "xns958cee1f68055bswr607h4"
    (Prolly too early?)

    > "I would support something like that if someone comes forward to create
    > and maintain such a system.

    Well, just pay attention to the discussions and walk it forward, with any
    constructive thoughts you have. No sense trying to hang burden on one.

    > Quite a few of the news groupies have also
    > expressed support."

    yes they have nice to hear some harmony cookin

    :)x

    Steve Young, Oct 25, 2004