Re: "Sounds" has been posted!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Vance, Sep 21, 2010.

  1. Vance

    Vance Guest

    On Sep 20, 10:20 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > The latest Shootin gallery has been posted, and is available for
    > viewing
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/seasonal_sounds
    >
    > For newcomers: the shootin is a monthly (sort of) excercise where a
    > mandate is published, and willing participants will shoot pictures to
    > suit the mandate. There is no prize since this is not a competition.
    > It's just for fun. More info here:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    >
    > Watch for posts with "[SI]" in the subject. If you don't want to see
    > posts related to the shootin, simply filter any posts with [SI].
    >
    > New mandate(s) will follow this week, after the Tuesday meeting of the
    > Shootin Advisory Team Board Comittee Group Assembly.

    Nice stuff all around, but three stand out for me. Not in any order
    of preference:

    Tim Conway: Nice colors, composition and it evokes a clear feeling.

    Bowser 3 - Nice composition with the body positions and activity
    mirroring each other. I would prefer a tighter crop, but why quibble.

    Tony Cooper: Atwater Kent - Texture, graphics, nice complimentary
    color contrast between the diaphram and grill and a pickup of
    analogous color in the background all work nicely. The line of the
    rotting grill cloth following the rim and echoed in the curves of the
    grill itself is tasty and the material poking through the grill is a
    nice accent. It has a nice dynamic and gritty feel to it.

    As always, the 'Shoot In' is worth viewing.

    Vance
    Vance, Sep 21, 2010

  2. Vance

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:04:11 -0700 (PDT), Vance <>
    wrote:

    >Tony Cooper: Atwater Kent - Texture, graphics, nice complimentary
    >color contrast between the diaphram and grill and a pickup of
    >analogous color in the background all work nicely. The line of the
    >rotting grill cloth following the rim and echoed in the curves of the
    >grill itself is tasty and the material poking through the grill is a
    >nice accent. It has a nice dynamic and gritty feel to it.

    Thank you but I need to "come clean". This is the original photo:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/118/523641520_e93eF-XL.jpg

    And this is the Photoshopped version I did for the Shoot-In:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/Sounds-Atwater-Kent-Cooper/1016249218_DAnpw-XL.jpg

    The black speaker paper was torn out of quite a bit of the back, so I
    made a selection of the good section and put it behind the original on
    three different layers and did some layer mask work to fill in the
    voids. I had to tweak each section a bit in contrast and brightness
    so it wouldn't be too apparent that the same section was used. Then I
    did some cloning touch-up.

    I didn't like the original background so I dropped it out completely
    in another layer masking effort. (I love my graphics tablet!) I keep
    a file of different backgrounds (brick, blocks, stone, stucco, and
    various wood grains), and used this one because I thought it looked
    realistic for the image. That's a section of white painted plywood
    with some mildew spots that has been color changed a bit and blurred a
    little.

    Whenever I'm out with my camera I keep an eye out for interesting
    textures for this purpose. The other day I was out and saw a old barn
    with weathered wood plank siding and took some shots landscape and
    portrait for the file. I also got a brick wall with some good ivy
    growth. There are stock textures backgrounds on the web, but they
    don't look realistic to me.

    Now go ahead...you can tell me you could tell it had been
    Photoshopped.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 21, 2010

  3. Vance

    Vance Guest

    On Sep 20, 10:03 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:04:11 -0700 (PDT), Vance <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Tony Cooper:  Atwater Kent - Texture, graphics, nice complimentary
    > >color contrast between the diaphram and grill and a pickup of
    > >analogous color in the background all work nicely.  The line of the
    > >rotting grill cloth following the rim and echoed in the curves of the
    > >grill itself is tasty and the material poking through the grill is a
    > >nice accent.  It has a nice dynamic and gritty feel to it.

    > Thank you but I need to "come clean".  This is the original photo:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/118/523641520_e93eF-...
    >
    > And this is the Photoshopped version I did for the Shoot-In:
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Salvage-Yard/Sounds-Atwater-Kent-...
    >
    > The black speaker paper was torn out of quite a bit of the back, so I
    > made a selection of the good section and put it behind the original on
    > three different layers and did some layer mask work to fill in the
    > voids.  I had to tweak each section a bit in contrast and brightness
    > so it wouldn't be too apparent that the same section was used.  Then I
    > did some cloning touch-up.
    >
    > I didn't like the original background so I dropped it out completely
    > in another layer masking effort.  (I love my graphics tablet!)  I keep
    > a file of different backgrounds (brick, blocks, stone, stucco, and
    > various wood grains), and used this one because I thought it looked
    > realistic for the image.  That's a section of white painted plywood
    > with some mildew spots that has been color changed a bit and blurred a
    > little.
    >
    > Whenever I'm out with my camera I keep an eye out for interesting
    > textures for this purpose.  The other day I was out and saw a old barn
    > with weathered wood plank siding and took some shots landscape and
    > portrait for the file.  I also got a brick wall with some good ivy
    > growth.  There are stock textures backgrounds on the web, but they
    > don't look realistic to me.
    >
    > Now go ahead...you can tell me you could tell it had been
    > Photoshopped.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Tony, I was commenting on the aethestics of the shot and what I
    appreciated about it. You recognized something that had a latent
    potential interest, which is where I think good photography starts and
    made it interesting. You used Photoshop. So? You used it to realize
    a personal interpretation and did a good job of it. I'm not a purist
    and Photoshop and I are the best of friends and I think the inventor
    of the graphics pen tablet should get a Noble Prize and be Canonized
    by the Roman Catholic Church.

    As far as I am concerned, it's all about the final image and I told
    you what I appreciated about it. Using photoshop doesn't take
    anything away from the image, or you as a photographer for creating
    it. It's a quality shot - 'nuff said.

    Vance
    Vance, Sep 21, 2010
  4. Vance

    John Turco Guest

    Vance wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > I'm not a purist and Photoshop and I are the best of friends and
    > I think the inventor of the graphics pen tablet should get a Noble
    > Prize and be Canonized by the Roman Catholic Church.

    <edited>

    Actually, you'd probably meant "Nikonized" -- did you not?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Sep 25, 2010
  5. Vance

    Peter Guest

    "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > Vance wrote:
    >
    > <heavily edited for brevity>
    >
    >> I'm not a purist and Photoshop and I are the best of friends and
    >> I think the inventor of the graphics pen tablet should get a Noble
    >> Prize and be Canonized by the Roman Catholic Church.

    > <edited>
    >
    > Actually, you'd probably meant "Nikonized" -- did you not?

    Either is better than "Siskerized"

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 25, 2010
  6. Vance

    John Turco Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > > Vance wrote:
    > >
    > > <heavily edited for brevity>
    > >
    > >> I'm not a purist and Photoshop and I are the best of friends and
    > >> I think the inventor of the graphics pen tablet should get a Noble
    > >> Prize and be Canonized by the Roman Catholic Church.

    > > <edited>
    > >
    > > Actually, you'd probably meant "Nikonized" -- did you not?
    > >

    > Either is better than "Siskerized"

    "Pentax" could be interpreted as a tariff on writing instruments,
    no?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 31, 2010
  7. Vance

    peter Guest

    On 10/31/2010 3:52 AM, John Turco wrote:
    > Peter wrote:

    > "Pentax" could be interpreted as a tariff on writing instruments,
    > no?

    If you had no thumbs, you would not pay a thumb tacks

    --
    Peter
    peter, Oct 31, 2010
  8. Vance

    John Turco Guest

    peter wrote:

    > On 10/31/2010 3:52 AM, John Turco wrote:
    > > Peter wrote:

    > > "Pentax" could be interpreted as a tariff on writing
    > > instruments, no?
    > >

    > If you had no thumbs, you would not pay a thumb tacks

    Samsung the praises of the NX10...good singing voice, eh?

    On the other hand, the New York Giants played like dogs
    and were Vicktimized, recently.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 28, 2010
  9. Vance

    peter Guest

    On 11/27/2010 8:53 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > peter wrote:
    >>
    >> On 10/31/2010 3:52 AM, John Turco wrote:
    >>> Peter wrote:

    >>> "Pentax" could be interpreted as a tariff on writing
    >>> instruments, no?
    >>>

    >> If you had no thumbs, you would not pay a thumb tacks

    > Samsung the praises of the NX10...good singing voice, eh?
    >
    > On the other hand, the New York Giants played like dogs
    > and were Vicktimized, recently.

    They did it to themselves.
    Go Jets!

    --
    Peter
    peter, Nov 28, 2010
  10. Vance

    John Turco Guest

    peter wrote:

    > On 11/27/2010 8:53 PM, John Turco wrote:
    > > peter wrote:

    > >> If you had no thumbs, you would not pay a thumb tacks

    > > Samsung the praises of the NX10...good singing voice, eh?
    > >
    > > On the other hand, the New York Giants played like dogs
    > > and were Vicktimized, recently.
    > >

    > They did it to themselves.
    > Go Jets!

    The Pack made the key pick on Vick, and thereby grounded
    the big, bad Eagle -- all nice and legal!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jan 12, 2011