Re: Sound card suggestions, please.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom Scales, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, I guess I am qualified to comment since I own both the Audigy 2 and
    the Extigy.

    The difference in sound is immeasurable. They are truly both outstanding.
    The Audigy 2 is internal and includes a Firewire port. The Extigy 2 is
    external, connects through USB and includes both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT, which
    the Audigy 2 does not. The Extigy also comes with a remote control, which I
    love. The Extigy has Optical in and out, which the Audigy 2 does not. They
    both have Digital in.

    One VERY nice thing if you use your sound card as your stereo. When
    external devices, such as your DVD player are connected to your Extigy, the
    system works fine EVEN IF THE COMPUTER IS TURNED OFF. Try that with an
    Audigy 2.

    Contrary to the previous poster's opinion, unless your machine is so
    underpowered that the game would be affected in other ways, the Extigy will
    easily keep up with just about anything. It's not like the audio stream is
    more than USB1.1 can handle.

    Bottom line, figure out the feature set you need and make the choice. Oh,
    one more thing. The Extigy frees up a PCI slot.

    Either one would be an excellent choice.

    Tom
    "JMI" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I think my sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer) has failed and it's well
    > past the warranty time. So I'm looking for a new Sound Card. I'd like to
    > find one for $125 or less. I've seen the SounBlasterd Extigy and the
    > Audigy 2 in that price range. Is one better than the other? I don't

    think
    > I really need the external sound device and all it's connections. I just
    > need an out, an in, and a mic. But which one delivers better sound. My
    > stereo is my computer and my computer is my stereo! I listen to music A

    LOT
    > (since I've got about 70 hours of music on my hard drive! Some downloaded
    > and many from my CD collection!)
    >
    > I use Windows XP and I also play games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal
    > 2, Porsche Unleashed, and just recently purchased Enter the Matrix. So I
    > guess game sound quality is also a requirement but I value music over

    games.

    Tom Scales, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Well here is my recommendation. Please go ahead uninstall your drivers, take
    the sound card out and pull all your other add on cards leaving only the
    video card in place and place your sound card on the opposite end of the
    MOBO that the video card is on. Grab your SB Installation cd or if time
    permits download new drivers from the Creative Site

    If you want to get a good range on sound card price visit my online mall @
    http://www.acnmall.com/sirduron

    any more questions contact me directly through e mail

    --
    Thanks
    Kenneth E. Spress

    RUID # 0462790

    Interested in a user friendly ISP that costs less Try ACN Internet
    http://www.acninc.net/dialuplocations.asp?details=us
    http://www.acninc.net/innerwindow.asp?theurl=signupinfo.asp

    Kenneth E. Spress, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Tom Scales

    Roger Guest

    "Kenneth E. Spress" <> wrote in message
    > Well here is my recommendation. Please go ahead uninstall your drivers,

    take
    > the sound card out and pull all your other add on cards leaving only the
    > video card in place and place your sound card on the opposite end of the
    > MOBO that the video card is on. Grab your SB Installation cd or if time
    > permits download new drivers from the Creative Site
    >
    > If you want to get a good range on sound card price visit my online mall @
    > http://www.acnmall.com/sirduron
    >
    > any more questions contact me directly through e mail

    Depends on what mb you own. On some older mb's the last PCI slot is not a
    bus mastering slot. You need a bus mastering slot for a soundcard.

    Roger, Jul 10, 2003