Re: Sound card suggestions, please.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by paul s, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. paul s

    paul s Guest

    JMI wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I think my sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer) has failed and it's well
    > past the warranty time. So I'm looking for a new Sound Card. I'd like to
    > find one for $125 or less. I've seen the SounBlasterd Extigy and the
    > Audigy 2 in that price range. Is one better than the other? I don't
    > think
    > I really need the external sound device and all it's connections. I just
    > need an out, an in, and a mic. But which one delivers better sound. My
    > stereo is my computer and my computer is my stereo! I listen to music A
    > LOT
    > (since I've got about 70 hours of music on my hard drive! Some downloaded
    > and many from my CD collection!)
    >
    > I use Windows XP and I also play games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal
    > 2, Porsche Unleashed, and just recently purchased Enter the Matrix. So I
    > guess game sound quality is also a requirement but I value music over
    > games.
    >
    > So which card do you think is better for my purposes? Or are there any
    > other suggested sound cards?

    If your playing processor intensive 3D games, I would stay away from the
    Extigy. The Extigy been a USB device, relies on a lot more software
    processing for the same results than an Audigy or Audigy 2.

    I would go with the Audigy 2. There are other makes of soundcard available
    but I've mostly stuck with Creative. I did buy a Logitech soundcard once,
    and what a POS that was.
    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jul 9, 2003