Re: Sony's Oly investment

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Me, Oct 1, 2012.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    On 30/09/2012 7:16 a.m., Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>, Alan Browne
    > says...
    >> The original posting was to clear up the fact that the Sony investment
    >> in Oly would have no effect on photographers in the near term. Or even
    >> ever.

    > The availability of a good image sensor has a very big effect for
    > photographers. Olympus has always been struggling here.

    There was probably no real reason why they couldn't have used Sony
    sensors earlier (than the OMD E5), presumably Olympus was using Sony
    sensor for P&S cameras, so they would have already had a relationship.
    With larger format (4/3 - 35mm) it seems that Sony have worked their way
    into a very strong position.
    CMOSIS (supplying the new Leica M) seem to use similar technology to
    Sony Exmor (on-chip 14 bit column AD conversion). It will be
    interesting to see how it performs against the (same pixel pitch) Nikon
    D600 sensor. I don't think it will win - it will be a generation
    behind, perhaps similar to the D3x.
    Claimed 76dB linear dynamic range is less (about 12.6 vs 13.4 stops),
    FWC is also just over 1/2 that of the D600.

    Me, Oct 1, 2012