Re: Sony tells DSLR shooters they're idiots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Doug McDonald, Dec 6, 2012.

  1. On 12/4/2012 8:02 PM, wrote:> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 23:45:42 +0100, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >> In article <>, David Dyer-Bennet says...
    >>> Yeah, right. Ask anybody these days. Nikon is making the best DSLRs in
    >>> the market.

    >> If they are the best, why is there is 3/4 stop exposure mistake?

    > Exposure mistakes are in the eye of the beholder... the camera thinks it did
    > fine, but it doesn't have an incident light meter, which is the only way to get
    > perfection.
    >
    > And ALL cameras have that problem, as if you didn't know.

    Huh? In my experience an incident light meter almost NEVER ever
    gets exposure right. In principle it simply can't, since it
    has no way to tell how light or dark the subject is. And even worse ...
    what if the incident light is different in different parts of the image.

    The only way to get exposure exactly right, with metering, is
    a spot meter and lots and lots of knowledge about the exact
    correspondence between its reading and the actuality of your camera.
    That works.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Dec 6, 2012

  2. On 12/6/2012 8:10 PM, wrote:> On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 13:05:23 -0600, Doug McDonald
    <> wrote:

    >> And even worse ...
    >> what if the incident light is different in different parts of the image.

    > That is illogical... does not compute... error... error...! :)
    >
    > You use incident meters for the location of the objective... E.G. a group
    > portrait is perfect. Some shots of course you can't use one, too many different
    > locations in view.

    Well, yes, in a posed studio situation, with key and fill lights,
    yes, incident woks like a charm.

    >> The only way to get exposure exactly right, with metering, is
    >> a spot meter and lots and lots of knowledge about the exact
    >> correspondence between its reading and the actuality of your camera.

    > A spot meter does a good job... of the spot it's on... but a small spot means
    > only a small part of your exposure will be good.

    Again, this is not rec.photo.film.velvia.

    With digital you meter for zone8 or zone 9, period. That's
    unless you use jpeg only of course, in which case you look at the
    image on the screen or a histogram.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Dec 7, 2012

  3. Doug McDonald

    Trevor Guest

    "Doug McDonald" <> wrote in message
    > In my experience an incident light meter almost NEVER ever
    > gets exposure right. In principle it simply can't, since it
    > has no way to tell how light or dark the subject is.

    That's the whole point of an incident reading, you get the "right" exposure
    for a black cat in a coal mine, and for a white cat in a snow storm.
    For digital RAW, that may not be what is the best use of your sensor range &
    noise performance however, so the traditional "correct exposure" no longer
    applies IMO.

    >And even worse ...
    > what if the incident light is different in different parts of the image.

    Then you have a problem that requires multiple measurements and a knowledge
    of what you are trying to achieve.
    The lattter always helps IMO.

    Trevor.

    Trevor, Dec 8, 2012