Re: Sony tells DSLR shooters they're idiots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nick c, Dec 5, 2012.

  1. nick c

    nick c Guest

    On 12/4/2012 10:44 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 23:45:42 +0100, Alfred Molon <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, David Dyer-Bennet says...
    >>>
    >>> If they are the best, why is there is 3/4 stop exposure mistake?

    >> Exposure mistakes are in the eye of the beholder... the camera thinks it
    >> did
    >> fine, but it doesn't have an incident light meter, which is the only way
    >> to get
    >> perfection.
    >>
    >> And ALL cameras have that problem, as if you didn't know.

    > I often wondered why cameras couldn't have both incident and reflected
    > meters, and then average the two for the perfect exposure.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Why couldn't the old method of using a Styrofoam coffee cup over the
    front of the lens be used as an incident light meter? I haven't found a
    need to try it but some other old timer might have thought of using that
    old trick.
    nick c, Dec 5, 2012

  2. nick c

    nick c Guest

    On 12/5/2012 2:55 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012.12.05 17:28 , nick c wrote:
    >
    >> Why couldn't the old method of using a Styrofoam coffee cup over the
    >> front of the lens be used as an incident light meter? I haven't found a
    >> need to try it but some other old timer might have thought of using that
    >> old trick.

    > I tried that years ago to see if it worked (it did close enough), but
    > carrying around a styro coffee cup for that would only result in a
    > dirty, crushed styrofoam cup - or coffee dribbles on the lens.

    Many many years ago I used the "ole Styrofoam cup" trick then later
    changed to using just a white handkerchief, formed in a cup-like manner
    over the front end of the lens. As I recall those film days, it seemed
    to work well enough for me in color and better yet in B&W.

    I guess if I encountered camera exposure problems I would revert to
    using my white handkerchief as an incident light meter. However, I have
    yet to pedantically fault the light meter readings of my Nikons when
    taking the pictures I like to take.
    nick c, Dec 5, 2012

  3. nick c

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:28:32 PM UTC, nick c wrote:
    > On 12/4/2012 10:44 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >
    > > <> wrote in message

    > >> Exposure mistakes are in the eye of the beholder... the camera thinks it

    > >> did

    > >> fine, but it doesn't have an incident light meter, which is the only way

    > >> to get

    > >> perfection.

    > >> And ALL cameras have that problem, as if you didn't know.

    > > I often wondered why cameras couldn't have both incident and reflected

    > > meters, and then average the two for the perfect exposure.

    > > Gary Eickmeier

    > Why couldn't the old method of using a Styrofoam coffee cup over the
    >
    > front of the lens be used as an incident light meter? I haven't found a
    >
    > need to try it but some other old timer might have thought of using that
    >
    > old trick.

    In the mid sevnties wans't there an enlarger made by Leica that used styrofoam to diffuse the light evenly it seemed very expensive to me but Leica always did seem expensive. Maybe it was special quality styrofoam .
    Whisky-dave, Dec 6, 2012
  4. nick c

    nick c Guest

    On 12/6/2012 2:47 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:28:32 PM UTC, nick c wrote:
    >> On 12/4/2012 10:44 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
    >>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> I often wondered why cameras couldn't have both incident and reflected

    >>> meters, and then average the two for the perfect exposure.

    >>> Gary Eickmeier

    >> Why couldn't the old method of using a Styrofoam coffee cup over the
    >>
    >> front of the lens be used as an incident light meter? I haven't found a
    >>
    >> need to try it but some other old timer might have thought of using that
    >>
    >> old trick.

    > In the mid sevnties wans't there an enlarger made by Leica that used styrofoam to diffuse the light evenly it seemed very expensive to me but Leica always did seem expensive. Maybe it was special quality styrofoam .

    I used processing labs in the 70's. Didn't use Leica enlargers.
    nick c, Dec 7, 2012
  5. nick c

    Trevor Guest

    "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message
    >> Why couldn't the old method of using a Styrofoam coffee cup over the
    >> front of the lens be used as an incident light meter? I haven't found a
    >> need to try it but some other old timer might have thought of using that
    >> old trick.

    > I have tried the Omnidisc a few times and it is no panacea. Camera's
    > normal metering was always better. I tried both pointing at the subject
    > and pointing at the light source.

    You can't take an incident reading by pointing at the subject.
    But you are right, for digital incident readings are no panacea. Shooting
    RAW and understanding histograms is by far the best option these days. It's
    so much easier to get good exposures than it ever was with film, I don't get
    what people are complaining about. They simply need to learn how to use the
    tools at their disposal.

    Trevor.
    Trevor, Dec 8, 2012