Re: Sony tells DSLR shooters they're idiots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pat McGroyn, Nov 24, 2012.

  1. Pat McGroyn

    Pat McGroyn Guest

    On 24-Nov-12 13:54, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>, Alan Browne
    > says...
    >
    >> The advert is pretty crass. Notice that all the "victims" of this jerk
    >> are using Canon and Nikon cameras?

    > Of course. Would Sony make fun of its own customers?
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Maybe Sony _really_ want to get away from DSLRs.

    > Well, the future is mirrorless anyway, i.e. the swinging mirror is a
    > dying design. That's why Nikon and Canon have introduced their own
    > mirrorless line. My brother plans to sell his Nikon D90 and keep only
    > the Canon G1X mirrorless.

    He should probably wait for the next version of the G1X. The current
    one, while pretty good, was rush released. There is a lot of room for
    improvement. When that happens I might buy it as well-even though the
    Sony RX100 is pretty damn good.
    Pat McGroyn, Nov 24, 2012

  2. Pat McGroyn

    Pat McGroyn Guest

    On 24-Nov-12 16:03, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <k8r61g$s3d$>, Pat McGroyn says...
    >> He should probably wait for the next version of the G1X.

    > He already bought one a few months ago.

    It is a good camera for a first edition. Hope he is enjoying it. I am
    looking forward to an improved second version. Canon really has this
    market all to themselves considering Nikon did not make the P7700 with
    the APS-C sensor and Sony is using the 1" sensor.
    Pat McGroyn, Nov 24, 2012

  3. In article <k8r61g$s3d$>,
    Pat McGroyn <> wrote:

    > He should probably wait for the next version of the G1X. The current
    > one, while pretty good, was rush released. There is a lot of room for
    > improvement.

    That is quite an understatement!

    I'll admit that some G1X photos are impressive. An enlarged face in a
    group can be quite sharp when everything goes right. "Good" photos are
    better than those from my old G11.

    The most serious problem I find is that the closest point the G1X will
    focus at maximum zoom, is the optimum point to make a portrait. At some
    critical point it may show a face in focus when partially depressing the
    shutter release, but jumps focus to the background when completely
    pressing the button.

    Also frustrating is the slow response of the shutter. Many times I've
    had people move out of the frame before it reacted.

    I see Canon released a G15 in time for holiday shopping. I doubt it is
    the next version of the G1X, because of its relatively low price.

    Please forgive me for hijacking the thread!

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Nov 25, 2012
  4. Pat McGroyn

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/24/2012 11:32 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
    > In article <k8r61g$s3d$>,
    > Pat McGroyn <> wrote:
    >
    >> He should probably wait for the next version of the G1X. The current
    >> one, while pretty good, was rush released. There is a lot of room for
    >> improvement.

    > That is quite an understatement!
    >
    > I'll admit that some G1X photos are impressive. An enlarged face in a
    > group can be quite sharp when everything goes right. "Good" photos are
    > better than those from my old G11.
    >
    > The most serious problem I find is that the closest point the G1X will
    > focus at maximum zoom, is the optimum point to make a portrait. At some
    > critical point it may show a face in focus when partially depressing the
    > shutter release, but jumps focus to the background when completely
    > pressing the button.
    >
    > Also frustrating is the slow response of the shutter. Many times I've
    > had people move out of the frame before it reacted.
    >
    > I see Canon released a G15 in time for holiday shopping. I doubt it is
    > the next version of the G1X, because of its relatively low price.
    >
    > Please forgive me for hijacking the thread!

    This P&S beats the G11.
    <http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/d-lux_6/>

    Cost with an EVF is about $1,200.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 25, 2012
  5. Pat McGroyn

    Pat McGroyn Guest

    On 24-Nov-12 23:32, Fred McKenzie wrote:
    > In article <k8r61g$s3d$>,
    > Pat McGroyn <> wrote:
    >
    >> He should probably wait for the next version of the G1X. The current
    >> one, while pretty good, was rush released. There is a lot of room for
    >> improvement.

    > That is quite an understatement!
    >
    > I'll admit that some G1X photos are impressive. An enlarged face in a
    > group can be quite sharp when everything goes right. "Good" photos are
    > better than those from my old G11.
    >
    > The most serious problem I find is that the closest point the G1X will
    > focus at maximum zoom, is the optimum point to make a portrait. At some
    > critical point it may show a face in focus when partially depressing the
    > shutter release, but jumps focus to the background when completely
    > pressing the button.
    >
    > Also frustrating is the slow response of the shutter. Many times I've
    > had people move out of the frame before it reacted.

    You are exactly right on all points. I can't understand how these issues
    have not been fixed yet with a firmware update. The AF is a particular
    issue as is the terrible macro functionality. A good deal of these
    problems were also found in the P7000 from Nikon which has a much
    smaller sensor. They were resolved mostly in newer models. I am hoping
    the "G2X" will take care of things. If Sony can put in advanced
    functionality in an even smaller footprint, why can't Canon?

    > I see Canon released a G15 in time for holiday shopping. I doubt it is
    > the next version of the G1X, because of its relatively low price.

    And the small sensor. The G15 is the successor to the G12. Great camera,
    but it does not have the large sensor like the G1X.
    Pat McGroyn, Nov 25, 2012
  6. Pat McGroyn <> wrote:
    >On 24-Nov-12 23:32, Fred McKenzie wrote:
    >> In article <k8r61g$s3d$>,
    >> Pat McGroyn <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> He should probably wait for the next version of the G1X. The current
    >>> one, while pretty good, was rush released. There is a lot of room for
    >>> improvement.

    >> That is quite an understatement!
    >>
    >> I'll admit that some G1X photos are impressive. An enlarged face in a
    >> group can be quite sharp when everything goes right. "Good" photos are
    >> better than those from my old G11.
    >>
    >> The most serious problem I find is that the closest point the G1X will
    >> focus at maximum zoom, is the optimum point to make a portrait. At some
    >> critical point it may show a face in focus when partially depressing the
    >> shutter release, but jumps focus to the background when completely
    >> pressing the button.
    >>
    >> Also frustrating is the slow response of the shutter. Many times I've
    >> had people move out of the frame before it reacted.

    >You are exactly right on all points. I can't understand how these issues
    >have not been fixed yet with a firmware update. The AF is a particular
    >issue as is the terrible macro functionality. A good deal of these
    >problems were also found in the P7000 from Nikon which has a much
    >smaller sensor. They were resolved mostly in newer models.

    The Nikon P7000's problems were mostly resolved in a firmware update
    which was released before the successor P7100 was announced. Had the
    firmware update been made available earlier, the P7000 would have had
    a much better reputation.

    Because its reputation was damaged, the Nikon P7000 can often be
    obtained cheaply. At a discounted price, the P7000 offers spectacular
    value because its performance can be dramatically improved at zero
    cost, just by updating the firmware.
    Anthony Polson, Nov 26, 2012
  7. Pat McGroyn

    Pat McGroyn Guest

    On 25-Nov-12 19:49, Anthony Polson wrote:
    > Pat McGroyn <> wrote:
    >> On 24-Nov-12 23:32, Fred McKenzie wrote:

    >>> That is quite an understatement!
    >>>
    >>> I'll admit that some G1X photos are impressive. An enlarged face in a
    >>> group can be quite sharp when everything goes right. "Good" photos are
    >>> better than those from my old G11.
    >>>
    >>> The most serious problem I find is that the closest point the G1X will
    >>> focus at maximum zoom, is the optimum point to make a portrait. At some
    >>> critical point it may show a face in focus when partially depressing the
    >>> shutter release, but jumps focus to the background when completely
    >>> pressing the button.
    >>>
    >>> Also frustrating is the slow response of the shutter. Many times I've
    >>> had people move out of the frame before it reacted.

    >> You are exactly right on all points. I can't understand how these issues
    >> have not been fixed yet with a firmware update. The AF is a particular
    >> issue as is the terrible macro functionality. A good deal of these
    >> problems were also found in the P7000 from Nikon which has a much
    >> smaller sensor. They were resolved mostly in newer models.

    > The Nikon P7000's problems were mostly resolved in a firmware update
    > which was released before the successor P7100 was announced. Had the
    > firmware update been made available earlier, the P7000 would have had
    > a much better reputation.

    Agreed. But the firmware did not fix everything. The P7100 was an
    improvement and now the P7700 has gotten things to a high point. It even
    looks less like the G12/15

    > Because its reputation was damaged, the Nikon P7000 can often be
    > obtained cheaply. At a discounted price, the P7000 offers spectacular
    > value because its performance can be dramatically improved at zero
    > cost, just by updating the firmware.

    I sold mine and never went back. To me it was a poor job by Nikon. Sony
    got it right first time with the RX100: better than the P7x series and
    the J and V Nikons as well using the same sensor.
    Pat McGroyn, Nov 26, 2012
  8. Pat McGroyn

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/25/2012 5:28 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-25 11:33:26 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 11/24/2012 11:32 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

    >>> That is quite an understatement!
    >>>
    >>> I'll admit that some G1X photos are impressive. An enlarged face in a
    >>> group can be quite sharp when everything goes right. "Good" photos are
    >>> better than those from my old G11.
    >>>
    >>> The most serious problem I find is that the closest point the G1X will
    >>> focus at maximum zoom, is the optimum point to make a portrait. At some
    >>> critical point it may show a face in focus when partially depressing the
    >>> shutter release, but jumps focus to the background when completely
    >>> pressing the button.
    >>>
    >>> Also frustrating is the slow response of the shutter. Many times I've
    >>> had people move out of the frame before it reacted.
    >>>
    >>> I see Canon released a G15 in time for holiday shopping. I doubt it is
    >>> the next version of the G1X, because of its relatively low price.
    >>>
    >>> Please forgive me for hijacking the thread!
    >>>

    >> This P&S beats the G11.
    >> <http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/d-lux_6/>
    >>
    >> Cost with an EVF is about $1,200.

    > Now if only the Leica was priced at $400, given that we are talking
    > about the same size (1/1.7 cm 10.1 effective MP CCD v. CMOS) sensor in
    > both cameras. Very different lenses, for sure, but for my purposes of
    > having a second string compact available, the now 3 year old G11 works
    > just fine within my budget.
    > I doubt that there is $800 improvement of IQ with the, very appealing
    > D-Lux 6.
    > Now if it was to be used as one's only camera ...

    The images it produces have suburb tonality. My friend has the G11 and
    the D0Lux6. He says he claims that the Leica is vastly superior to his
    G11. BTW The price with viewfinder is about $1,200. It does indeed cost
    a lot more.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 27, 2012
  9. Pat McGroyn

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/26/2012 8:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-26 16:36:39 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 11/25/2012 5:28 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Now if only the Leica was priced at $400, given that we are talking
    >>> about the same size (1/1.7 cm 10.1 effective MP CCD v. CMOS) sensor in
    >>> both cameras. Very different lenses, for sure, but for my purposes of
    >>> having a second string compact available, the now 3 year old G11 works
    >>> just fine within my budget.
    >>> I doubt that there is $800 improvement of IQ with the, very appealing
    >>> D-Lux 6.
    >>> Now if it was to be used as one's only camera ...
    >>>

    >> The images it produces have suburb tonality. My friend has the G11 and
    >> the D0Lux6. He says he claims that the Leica is vastly superior to his
    >> G11. BTW The price with viewfinder is about $1,200. It does indeed
    >> cost a lot more.

    > My point exactly. There should be a minimum of $800 improvement over the
    > G11 or G12, but somehow I have a feeling his praise of the D-Lux 6 could
    > be a tad hyperbolic.

    Can't say for sure. But, if it only makes him happy to own a Leica, I
    say go for it.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Nov 27, 2012