Re: Sony Mavica MVC-CD500

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DARTORREY, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. DARTORREY

    DARTORREY Guest

    In article <0S12b.3069$>, "Simon"
    <homerjsimpson@_NO_SPAM_blueyonder.co.uk_NO_SPAM_> writes:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've just purchased a CD500 and have returned from a Greek break with some
    >impressive photos (by my standards in any case! )
    >
    >It's a great camera but its main (only?) failing is its limited zoom and I
    >would love to be able to add a 2x-3x telephoto lens to make it complete.
    >
    >However, my local store has advised me that it's not possible to do this and
    >has presented me with an email from Sony as confirmation.
    >
    >I find this puzzling since even Ebay seems to be littered with lenses
    >purporting to do the job.
    >
    >So who is right? The Ebay sellers or Sony? Has anyone extended the zoom on a
    >CD500 successfully? And if so, could they offer me any pointers?
    >
    >Many thanks

    Simon,

    I don't know if the CD500 has threads for a 37mm filter, but I have the Sony
    CD200 and a couple of years ago I bought a Tiffen 2X converter which doubles
    the "focal length" of the zoom. It works well but you may notice some slight
    loss in the quality of the images. If I remember correctly I believe I paid
    about $70 (US) for the converter and I don't think that amount of money is
    enough to pay for quality focal glass. In using it I also have to adjust the
    images to make them lighter because a 2X converter cuts the amount of light
    going through the camera lens by half.

    If the CD500 does have 37mm threading for a filter I would almost bet that the
    email Sony distributed to dealers was issued because Sony didn't make a
    converter.

    I haven't looked, but eBay prices should be lower than what I paid for mine.

    Darrin

    DARTORREY, Aug 25, 2003