Re: Sony makes fun about DSLR users

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Me, May 30, 2013.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    On 31/05/2013 6:24 a.m., Alfred Molon wrote:
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?
    > v=rnaIFjJkuzQ&list=PL94U2tauvOl7cSpb4G8k5x4EaSp-d_LTR

    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnaIFjJkuzQ&list=PL94U2tauvOl7cSpb4G8k5x4EaSp-d_LTR

    If that's Sony's best attempt at launching a "viral marketing" campaign,
    then they deserve what they'll get.
    It's about as convincing as a car advertisement from "Great Wall" trying
    to tell people that they're idiots if they buy something with more
    features and better quality than the appalling, unsafe, and unappealing
    shit that comes out of their sweat-houses in PRC.
    Sony aren't that bad - and should perhaps try to present themselves as
    having a bit of class - this campaign makes them look like bottom-feeders.

    Me, May 30, 2013

  2. Me

    Me Guest

    On 31/05/2013 10:05 a.m., Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <ko8ffl$kpm$>, Me says...
    >> Sony aren't that bad - and should perhaps try to present themselves as
    >> having a bit of class - this campaign makes them look like bottom-feeders.

    > I found some of those videos quite funny. They are capitalising on DLSR
    > user stereotypes (the equipment fetishist and so on), which sometimes
    > are quite true. I remember once spotting a guy walking with a big Canon
    > DSLR + lens along the streets of Munich, with the kind of "proud
    > invincible owner of superior equipment" smile on his face.

    Perhaps he was a good photographer?
    Stereotypes are dangerous things at the best of times.

    If the purpose of the Sony campaign was to say "if you're a clueless
    idiot - then get a Sony NEX", then they've succeeded.
    There may be valid reason to get a Sony NEX, but...

    Me, May 31, 2013

  3. Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <ko8ffl$kpm$>, Me says...
    >> Sony aren't that bad - and should perhaps try to present themselves as
    >> having a bit of class - this campaign makes them look like bottom-feeders.

    > I found some of those videos quite funny.

    As in all bad comedy, you have to have somw writer to invent
    the absurdities of completely unbelievable carricatures of
    strawmen they put up.

    Maybe someone will put up a video of Sony-camera users
    performing such usual tasks as hammering nails in walls
    with their camera, trying to attach the lens to the LCD,
    macroshooting flowers with the lens pointing straight up into
    the sky or being completely baffled at opening the box that
    contains their camera. Oh, and trying to make a movie with
    a long lens at the usual 'arms streched out in front' stance
    and the camera rotated by 97°.
    Film these clips with an DSLR for additional insult.

    > They are capitalising on DLSR
    > user stereotypes (the equipment fetishist and so on), which sometimes
    > are quite true.

    So you're saying a (huge) majority of DSLR-shooters is about
    as intelligent as dry grass and knows as much of their gear
    as the next cow eating said dry grass?

    How come Sony doesn't say a single positive thing about their
    cameras? They could easily point out that some tasks might be
    better handles with their camera --- they choose to simply say
    "everyone who uses the products of the competition is a complete
    idiot" (which is very bad form), and that tells me they can't
    even *dis*honestly say anything positive about their cameras.

    > I remember once spotting a guy walking with a big Canon
    > DSLR + lens along the streets of Munich, with the kind of "proud
    > invincible owner of superior equipment" smile on his face.

    Non sequitur. You can't prove a stereotype of a large and
    present group by spotting a single possible example in all
    your life.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 31, 2013