Re: Sony DSC-F717 purchase

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Bill Dunn" <> wrote in message
    news:MO65b.20150$...
    > I am looking to purchase a CYBERSHOT DSC-F717 camera but I am looking for
    > the best price and company on the net to buy from. I have read too many
    > posts about Grey market products and very

    delayed shipping due to out of
    > stocks and being lied to.
    >
    > Thanks for any and all advice.
    >
    > Bill in NJ

    The prices should be right down as Sony have superseded the f 717 so no one
    will want the old model.

    Mike, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Mike

    Bill Dunn Guest

    Superseded by what? When will this model be out and I should see a decline
    in the prices? I was looking to buy now but if I can save a great deal by
    waiting I will. Thanks.
    Bill

    Bill Dunn, Sep 2, 2003

  3. The F717 model is currently top of the line. The recently announced
    F828 model will be the new top of the line and is due to be available
    in November, according to Sony's announcement. The F717 was also said
    to be remaining in production on several of the Sony bulletin board
    postings, but I don't know the truth of that.

    It would make sense as I suspect that the new model will be higher
    priced by enough of a difference that it will not conflict with F717
    sales. The F828 is priced at an estimated $1200 MSRP where the F717 is
    currently priced at $799 MSRP.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Just because the F828 has been announced, doesn't mean the F717 will be
    stopped. In fact, I believe Sony have stated it won't. Presumably they
    believe that not everyone will want to fork out on an 8mp camera,
    particularly those who appreciate what good value the F717 is.

    --
    Martin
    Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot

    Martin Francis, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Mike

    Chip Gallo Guest

    Martin Francis wrote:
    > Just because the F828 has been announced, doesn't mean the F717 will
    > be stopped. In fact, I believe Sony have stated it won't. Presumably
    > they believe that not everyone will want to fork out on an 8mp camera,
    > particularly those who appreciate what good value the F717 is.

    I've been shooting with the 717 since last November, around 2,000 pictures.
    I looked at the specs on the 828 and didn't find many features from my wish
    list. I need an equivalent 1600 ASA sensitivity; the 828 still tops out at
    800. I've wondered if Zeiss can make a faster lens at this price point. They
    put a "longer" lens on the 828 but it is basically the same speed.

    The body design looks like Sony wants to compete with Nikon and Canon (D100
    and 10D) but I can't imagine many people defecting to the 8x8 line, when for
    a few hundred more you can get a "system" camera (plus lens of course). I
    did get to hold a D100 this past weekend, fully loaded with dual batteries
    and the external filter kit. You really appreciate the weight of a Sony
    after holding that thing. Shoots great wedding pics for the pro that owns
    it. Buy a nice tripod, right Godfrey?

    I respect the design philosophy of the Sony and consider it an excellent
    learning camera. But to get professional results with my main subject
    (synchro ice skating -- daughter is on a team), I need a system camera. The
    Sony has been a great all purpose camera. You can see some of my learning
    curve at:

    http://www.chipgallo.com/photos.htm
    and
    http://chip.fotopic.net