Re: Sony Cybershot F717 Night-Vision

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Godfrey, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Godfrey

    Godfrey Guest

    Sony implements infra-red features in the F717 by fitting the camera with two
    IR emitters, mounted on the periphery of the lens, and supporting two modes
    of operation, "NightFraming" and "NightShot".

    When either mode is engaged, the camera removes the IR blocking filter and
    turns on the emitters to illuminate the subject. In NightFraming mode, the
    user is presented with a clear view for framing purposes. At the point of
    making the exposure, the camera uses the HAF light and switches to normal
    visible light mode, makes the exposure using the flash. In NightShot mode,
    the camera focuses without HAF assist and makes the exposure with the mix of
    IR and visible light coming through the lens.

    These features only work in Auto and ProgramAE modes. In NightShot mode, the
    shutter speed range is constrained to be between 1/8 and 1/60 second and you
    have no control of aperture (the lens is always at maximum f/2-2.4 depending
    upon focal length selected). With ProgramAE on the Selector dial, you can set
    the ISO and exposure compensation, use manual focus. Daylight IR photography
    can be done by using a visible light blocking filter (type 89A or 87C are the
    usual choices, I use a B+W 092 which is a Wrattan type 89A equivalent)
    coupled with additional filtration to reduce light down to an EV 6.5 level,
    and blocking the emitters (to prevent flare).

    These features are exclusive to the Sony F7x7, DSC-V1 cameras and are not
    able to be achieve with any other camera. The newly announced F828 camera
    goes one better and allows full use of NightShot in all capture modes
    including Aperture, Shutter and Manual, so the photographer has complete
    control of exposure and DoF.

    Godfrey

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 7:54:40 -0700, Bob Sanderson wrote
    (in message <Xns93E96EEE67F9EsandmanLUVSPAMsandma@167.206.3.3>):

    Godfrey, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Hey! I know that "Godfrey" <> guy! He's a nihilist!
    (in part):

    > The newly announced F828 camera
    > goes one better and allows full use of NightShot in all capture modes
    > including Aperture, Shutter and Manual, so the photographer has complete
    > control of exposure and DoF.

    Are the illuminators always on in these expanded modes?

    I hate puttting sticky things so close to the lens. I do find that black
    graphic art tape "dots" are less risky than adhesive-drooling electrical
    tape. I also have a thin suede gasket cut to fit over the outer ring but
    the tape dots are more convenient since I do not use the illuminators often.

    Corry

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    "I think all foreigners should stop interfering in the internal affairs
    of Iraq." --Paul Wolfowitz
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Sep 1, 2003

  3. On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 9:19:02 -0700, Unclaimed Mysteries wrote
    (in message <WjK4b.17485$>):

    > Hey! I know that "Godfrey" <> guy! He's a nihilist!
    > (in part):

    Huh?

    >> The newly announced F828 camera
    >> goes one better and allows full use of NightShot in all capture modes
    >> including Aperture, Shutter and Manual, so the photographer has complete
    >> control of exposure and DoF.

    > Are the illuminators always on in these expanded modes?

    The NightShot and NightFraming modes on the F717 turn the illuminators on
    when active (they are off when the actual exposure is made with
    NightFraming).

    I would expect similar behavior from the F828 but perhaps they have a control
    to turn them off for daylight use; can't say for sure.

    > I hate puttting sticky things so close to the lens. I do find that black
    > graphic art tape "dots" are less risky than adhesive-drooling electrical
    > tape. I also have a thin suede gasket cut to fit over the outer ring but
    > the tape dots are more convenient since I do not use the illuminators often.

    I put a pair of sticky-backed foam patches onto backside of my B+W 092 filter
    to block the illuminators on the F717. This means that only the soft foam
    side goes near the lens and they stay with the filter rather than being
    another accessory you have to carry and handle near the lens surface. Here's
    a picture:
    http://homepage.mac.com/godders/F717-IR-emitter-blocking.jpg

    The bezel that the illuminators are part of is 10mm wide, so it's easy to do
    this and ensure that nothing will touch the front element of the lens.

    The F828 puts the illuminators elsewhere on the camera body (on the flash
    housing over the lens I believe) so it will be much easier to block them when
    they're not desired and it probably won't be necessary to block them anyway
    in most cases ... they will not be inside the filter where they can reflect
    back into the lens causing flare.

    Godfrey
    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Sep 1, 2003