Re: Sometimes stupid loses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Apr 18, 2011.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:03:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >So you're perfectly OK with heterosexual Denny Crane marrying
    >heterosexual Alan Shore for the purpose of ensuring that (a) Alan gets
    >Denny's rather huge estate and (b) Alan has the right to pull the plug
    >on Denny's life support when the time comes?

    Doesn't sound any better or worse than Anna Nicole Smith (26) marrying
    oil billionaire J. Howard Marshall (89). Except that this was real
    life.

    >Or college roommates getting married in order to get a tax break?

    Then there are elderly married couples that get a divorce for the sole
    reason of qualifying for assisted living.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Apr 18, 2011

  2. tony cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Apr 19, 2:13 am, "Bill Graham" <> wrote:
    > Neil Harrington wrote:
    > > "tony cooper" <> wrote in message

    > >> Doesn't sound any better or worse than Anna Nicole Smith (26)
    > >> marrying oil billionaire J. Howard Marshall (89).  Except that this
    > >> was real life.

    > >> Then there are elderly married couples that get a divorce for the
    > >> sole reason of qualifying for assisted living.

    > > In some cases it's better for them taxwise also, I understand.

    > Marriage, as a government institution is slowly becoming obsolete.

    No Marriage was a religious institution is slowly becoming obsolete.

    > The
    > government never should have had anything to do with it to begin with. It
    > should have been a religious ritual, and nothing more. Now, they are trying
    > to, "back out" as it were.

    You do know why homosexuals want to marry don't you ?
    Most have accepted civil partnerships as the same or a compromise
    Whisky-dave, Apr 19, 2011

  3. tony cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Apr 19, 10:11 pm, "Bill Graham" <> wrote:
    > Whisky-dave wrote:

    > >> Marriage, as a government institution is slowly becoming obsolete.

    > > No Marriage was a religious  institution is slowly becoming obsolete.

    > >>  The
    > >> government never should have had anything to do with it to begin
    > >> with. It should have been a religious ritual, and nothing more. Now,
    > >> they are trying to, "back out" as it were.

    > > You do know why homosexuals want to marry don't you ?
    > > Most have accepted civil partnerships as the same or a compromise

    > In recent years, the government has offered these "cival partnerships" asa
    > viable substitute for marriage.  I still maintain that they (the government)
    > should never have had anything to do with marriage to begin with. They did
    > it as a result of the religious lobbies, and it was a mistake.

    Yep, but that's how most of the world operates now, before law there
    was religion
    which was the law. In the UK the church and the law have been
    virtually interchangable
    for 1000s of years. We made a big step in separating the two some 400
    years ago.
    We still aren't quite there yet, but bit by bit we are, and stoppjng
    homosexauls from marrying
    is one that hasn't been conquered yet. If you ask why they can;t marry
    is seems to be those
    with religious beliefs that have the reasons and explanations.
    Because the written word only goes back some 6,000 odd years we can't
    be sure that the first
    marriage was between man and women.
    Whisky-dave, Apr 20, 2011