Re: Sometimes stupid loses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pete Stavrakoglou, Mar 28, 2011.

  1. "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > On 2011-03-23 19:28:15 -0400, Bowser said:
    >
    >> That attempt by a moronic Florida politician to make it a felony to
    >> photograph a farm, even from a public place, has failed and the bill has
    >> been scaled back just a bit:
    >>
    >> http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/0...raphing-farms-first-degree-felony-scaled-back

    > It's
    >>

    > not just the farm bill. A Florida Rep names Jason Brodeur introduced a
    > bill that would make it a crime for a pediatrician, in the course of a
    > routine well-child checkup, to ASK if there are guns in the house. The
    > penalty was to be a one million dollar fine and imprisonment. For asking a
    > question that is routine in checkups, per the standards of the American
    > Academy of Pediatrics. That has been scaled back to NO imprisonment and a
    > "mere" hundred thousand dollar fine.
    >
    > Check it out (this link is a blog with a link also to the Orlando Sentinel
    > article)
    >
    > http://www.drmike99.com/Site/Blog/Entries/2011/3/24_Imprison_those_gun-hating_pediatricians!.html

    While fining a pediatrician for asking such a question is ridiculous, it's
    really none of his/her business if a child's parents keep a firearm in the
    house. I don't see how this relates to a child's medical exam.
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Mar 28, 2011

  2. Pete Stavrakoglou

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:15:25 -0400, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
    <> wrote:

    >"Michael" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2011-03-23 19:28:15 -0400, Bowser said:
    >>
    >>> That attempt by a moronic Florida politician to make it a felony to
    >>> photograph a farm, even from a public place, has failed and the bill has
    >>> been scaled back just a bit:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/0...raphing-farms-first-degree-felony-scaled-back

    >> It's
    >>>

    >> not just the farm bill. A Florida Rep names Jason Brodeur introduced a
    >> bill that would make it a crime for a pediatrician, in the course of a
    >> routine well-child checkup, to ASK if there are guns in the house. The
    >> penalty was to be a one million dollar fine and imprisonment. For asking a
    >> question that is routine in checkups, per the standards of the American
    >> Academy of Pediatrics. That has been scaled back to NO imprisonment and a
    >> "mere" hundred thousand dollar fine.
    >>
    >> Check it out (this link is a blog with a link also to the Orlando Sentinel
    >> article)
    >>
    >> http://www.drmike99.com/Site/Blog/Entries/2011/3/24_Imprison_those_gun-hating_pediatricians!.html

    >While fining a pediatrician for asking such a question is ridiculous, it's
    >really none of his/her business if a child's parents keep a firearm in the
    >house. I don't see how this relates to a child's medical exam.

    The intent of the question is to determine the safety of the child and
    to educate the parents on safe storage of unsafe things. No one
    objects if a pediatrician asks about storage of unsafe chemicals
    around the house, but they object to questions about some that has
    just as much - if not more - potential danger.

    The questions the pediatricians are asking are not to determine if
    there are guns in the house, but if there are guns in house *and* if
    they are safely stored *and* if the child is aware of the danger
    involved in handling a gun.

    Part of a pediatrician's role is to provide education to parents. The
    pediatrician has been trained to know about the dangers and how to
    prevent them. Being a parent requires no training.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Mar 28, 2011

  3. Pete Stavrakoglou

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, tony_cooper213
    @earthlink.net says...

    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:15:25 -0400, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Michael" <> wrote in message

    > >> It's
    > >>>
    > >> not just the farm bill. A Florida Rep names Jason Brodeur introduced a
    > >> bill that would make it a crime for a pediatrician, in the course of a
    > >> routine well-child checkup, to ASK if there are guns in the house. The
    > >> penalty was to be a one million dollar fine and imprisonment. For asking a
    > >> question that is routine in checkups, per the standards of the American
    > >> Academy of Pediatrics. That has been scaled back to NO imprisonment and a
    > >> "mere" hundred thousand dollar fine.
    > >>
    > >> Check it out (this link is a blog with a link also to the Orlando Sentinel
    > >> article)
    > >>
    > >> http://www.drmike99.com/Site/Blog/Entries/2011/3/24_Imprison_those_gun-hating_pediatricians!.html

    > >While fining a pediatrician for asking such a question is ridiculous, it's
    > >really none of his/her business if a child's parents keep a firearm in the
    > >house. I don't see how this relates to a child's medical exam.
    > >

    > The intent of the question is to determine the safety of the child and
    > to educate the parents on safe storage of unsafe things. No one
    > objects if a pediatrician asks about storage of unsafe chemicals
    > around the house, but they object to questions about some that has
    > just as much - if not more - potential danger.
    >
    > The questions the pediatricians are asking are not to determine if
    > there are guns in the house, but if there are guns in house *and* if
    > they are safely stored *and* if the child is aware of the danger
    > involved in handling a gun.
    >
    > Part of a pediatrician's role is to provide education to parents. The
    > pediatrician has been trained to know about the dangers and how to
    > prevent them. Being a parent requires no training.

    Regardless of the intent, inventorying the contents of the parents house
    is not his business.
    J. Clarke, Mar 28, 2011
  4. Pete Stavrakoglou

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:03:17 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, tony_cooper213
    >@earthlink.net says...
    >>
    >> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:15:25 -0400, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Michael" <> wrote in message

    >> >While fining a pediatrician for asking such a question is ridiculous, it's
    >> >really none of his/her business if a child's parents keep a firearm in the
    >> >house. I don't see how this relates to a child's medical exam.
    >> >

    >> The intent of the question is to determine the safety of the child and
    >> to educate the parents on safe storage of unsafe things. No one
    >> objects if a pediatrician asks about storage of unsafe chemicals
    >> around the house, but they object to questions about some that has
    >> just as much - if not more - potential danger.
    >>
    >> The questions the pediatricians are asking are not to determine if
    >> there are guns in the house, but if there are guns in house *and* if
    >> they are safely stored *and* if the child is aware of the danger
    >> involved in handling a gun.
    >>
    >> Part of a pediatrician's role is to provide education to parents. The
    >> pediatrician has been trained to know about the dangers and how to
    >> prevent them. Being a parent requires no training.

    >Regardless of the intent, inventorying the contents of the parents house
    >is not his business.

    You'd have to be there to understand what is done, but posing the
    questions like "Do you have guns in the house?" and "Are you storing
    them safely?" are not taking an inventory. You wouldn't be upset if
    the doctor asked "Do you have pesticides where the child might reach
    them?" or posed questions about the storage of adult medications.

    No one has posited that pediatricians are asking for a count of the
    guns or descriptions of the models of the guns.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Mar 28, 2011
  5. "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:03:17 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, tony_cooper213
    >>@earthlink.net says...

    >>> The intent of the question is to determine the safety of the child and
    >>> to educate the parents on safe storage of unsafe things. No one
    >>> objects if a pediatrician asks about storage of unsafe chemicals
    >>> around the house, but they object to questions about some that has
    >>> just as much - if not more - potential danger.
    >>>
    >>> The questions the pediatricians are asking are not to determine if
    >>> there are guns in the house, but if there are guns in house *and* if
    >>> they are safely stored *and* if the child is aware of the danger
    >>> involved in handling a gun.
    >>>
    >>> Part of a pediatrician's role is to provide education to parents. The
    >>> pediatrician has been trained to know about the dangers and how to
    >>> prevent them. Being a parent requires no training.

    >>Regardless of the intent, inventorying the contents of the parents house
    >>is not his business.

    > You'd have to be there to understand what is done, but posing the
    > questions like "Do you have guns in the house?" and "Are you storing
    > them safely?" are not taking an inventory. You wouldn't be upset if
    > the doctor asked "Do you have pesticides where the child might reach
    > them?" or posed questions about the storage of adult medications.
    >
    > No one has posited that pediatricians are asking for a count of the
    > guns or descriptions of the models of the guns.

    It's still non of their business Tony and I would object to that type of
    question being asked of my children. I don't need a doctor to instruct me
    on the safe storage of my handgun (and pesticides for that matter).
    Pete Stavrakoglou, Mar 28, 2011