Re: Something strange about widescreen monitor preset display modes.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damos, Jun 1, 2008.

  1. Damos

    Damos Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 01:54:07 +1200, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    > I have had a look at the Samsung 26" 2693HM, Dell 2408WFP and 3008WFP
    > and even though they are all widescreen, the only one that has a
    > widescreen preset display resolution is the 3008WFP at 1280x800. All
    > the other presets are conventional 4x3 monitor typical resolutions
    > like 1280x1024 and 1024x768, etc. It seems strange to me that they
    > don't have presets that are widescreen on widescreen monitors

    I have a dell 2408wfp, when I did a new xp install I stuck in the driver
    cd that came with the monitor and it resized automatically to 1920x1200.
    I've never manualy changed the screen resolution. My graphics card is an
    old atix800.

    Damos

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

    Carl Sagan.

    Damos, Jun 1, 2008

  2. Damos

    EMB Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > Monitors do not need Drivers buy Video cards and Chips do..
    >
    > Yes I have a driver for my Monitor but I think its for 98 from memory..
    >

    > Under XP monitors are plug and play..

    Only if Windows has suitable DDC .inf files to relflect the capability
    of the monitor from it's communication with the display adaptor. If the
    corresponding .inf for the monitor isn't on the system then it won't
    work. *Note* this applies back as far as Windows 98.

    See the below link for a simple overview, and then apologise for being
    wrong.

    http://www.xerox-displays.com/faq.html

    EMB, Jun 1, 2008

  3. EMB wrote:
    > Brian Mathews wrote:
    >> Monitors do not need Drivers buy Video cards and Chips do..
    >>
    >> Yes I have a driver for my Monitor but I think its for 98 from memory..
    >>

    >> Under XP monitors are plug and play..

    > Only if Windows has suitable DDC .inf files to relflect the capability
    > of the monitor from it's communication with the display adaptor. If the
    > corresponding .inf for the monitor isn't on the system then it won't
    > work. *Note* this applies back as far as Windows 98.
    >
    > See the below link for a simple overview, and then apologise for being
    > wrong.
    >
    > http://www.xerox-displays.com/faq.html

    Shouldn't the OS be able to ask a modern monitor what resolutions it can
    support so not need drivers?

    Jason Fanning, Jun 1, 2008
  4. Damos

    EMB Guest

    Jason Fanning wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Brian Mathews wrote:
    >>> Monitors do not need Drivers buy Video cards and Chips do..
    >>>
    >>> Yes I have a driver for my Monitor but I think its for 98 from
    >>> memory..
    >>>

    >>> Under XP monitors are plug and play..

    >> Only if Windows has suitable DDC .inf files to relflect the capability
    >> of the monitor from it's communication with the display adaptor. If
    >> the corresponding .inf for the monitor isn't on the system then it
    >> won't work. *Note* this applies back as far as Windows 98.
    >>
    >> See the below link for a simple overview, and then apologise for being
    >> wrong.
    >>
    >> http://www.xerox-displays.com/faq.html

    > Shouldn't the OS be able to ask a modern monitor what resolutions it can
    > support so not need drivers?

    Yeah, and Vista does it a lot better than XP, but Woger refuses to
    embrace modern technological advances.

    EMB, Jun 1, 2008