Re: Some Youtube videos won't play

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ian Jackson, Feb 13, 2009.

  1. Ian Jackson

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <Xns9BB179368CDEBfdgdfjhsrtg@207.115.17.102>, Bluuuue Rajah
    <Bluuuuue@Rajah.?.invalid> writes

    >Sometimes Youtube won't play a video for me, under IE 6 and XP, saying that
    >I either have Javascript turned off or need to install the latest version
    >of Flash. Neither of those things is true. I have Javascript turned on
    >and I'm running the latest version of Flash. What could be going on?

    I had exactly this problem (except it was ALL YouTube videos). It is
    just possible that this may be of use to you:

    As well as IE6, I also have Apple Safari installed. On the rare occasion
    when IE doesn't 'render' HTML correctly, Safari usually does.

    I had been messing around with my news reader and, out of interest, had
    set the default HTML viewer to Safari. That is when YouTube stopped
    working . Neither IE nor Safari worked. I checked that JavaScript was
    turned on, and also installed the latest version of Flash. I also
    checked that IE was enabled - but still no go.

    I then remembered that I had messed about with my news reader. I
    restored the HTML default to IE, and found that YouTube was again OK.

    So.....
    I had another look at my news reader, and realised that there were two
    settings. With one, you can set the 'default' HTML viewer. With the
    other, you can set the 'custom' HTML viewer. This time, I made Safari
    the 'custom' viewer, and YouTube continues to work fine.
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, Feb 13, 2009