Re: Some questions that came up in the exam today

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony Sivori, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    quietkey wrote:

    > Printer prints garbage or smiley faces and diamonds - Why

    Interesting question, that. I googled for the answer, and it seems to be
    due to the printer port setting in the bios. Also, perhaps coincidentally,
    I see only HP printers mentioned with this specific "smiley faces and
    diamonds" symptom.

    The Google search:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y40A25CA6

    The search result that I thought was most revealing:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?H21A12CA6

    Also, as others have already mentioned I'd like to add that specific test
    questions should not be posted here. It violates your NDA, and it reduces
    this newsgroup to a braindump.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Tony Sivori

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    TonySivoriM$ says...

    > It violates your NDA, and it reduces
    >this newsgroup to a braindump.

    At least half the questions in any practice exam are braindumps. There seems
    to be a certain segment of regulars to this newsgroup who don't believe they
    used braindumps to pass when it would be nearly impossible to avoid them.

    Stop the deluded sanctimonious hypocritical anti-braindump finger-wagging
    already!
    Jinkies, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Tony Sivori

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > BUT, "finding the answer" is just another way
    >of saying that they are going to learn some of the material covered by
    >the exam, which is hard to fault, although I won't argue that giving an
    >exact question is still a violation of the NDA.

    Well CompTIA would have a hard time proving that certain exact questions that
    appear in a study guide are copyright violation. For example I know of a
    question and answer-set that appears in the Sybex Deluxe edition study material
    that is identical to a question and answer-set I was given on the actual
    CompTIA exam. Of course, it consisted of a non-wordy question and one-word
    answers.

    Since some questions are identical or very close to the real thing in
    'respectable' study material, and since braindumps from test-takers rely on
    imperfect memory in a stressful situation anyway, I see no ethical problem with
    studying braindumps other than a pure copyright issue. As for that, what can I
    say? I've got mp3s on my hard drive, too. If I had a considerable amount of
    disposable income I would buy CDs more often and download mp3s less often. And
    if I had been able to pass the A+ OS exam without studying braindumps I would
    have. I tried and I failed, and then I decided only a fool would 'ethically'
    try again without hedging all his bets and studying braindumps? Did I need
    them? Maybe not because I studied a lot after failing the first time but I
    wanted some real insurance so I would not be out another $100 which isn't chump
    change to me these days. After completely memorizing 500 braindumps I still
    only scored 782 on the linear OS exam. In my estimation I saw about 15-20% of
    the questions I had memorized on the exam.

    So really I don't care if you think I cheated, I don't care if you think I
    don't know the material, and I don't care if you think I'm a whiner. What
    matters to me is the $100US I saved; for some reason trolls on usenet just
    don't seem to matter to me in the slightest.
    Jinkies, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Tony Sivori

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >I can also tell you extremes in teaching study. Most of the classes I
    >took in college told you what kind of problems would be on the test.
    >They did not give us the problems themselves. Taking and passing an
    >exam that you studied very hard for is rewarding and also very relaxing
    >when you are through with it. I'm out of college now and I am taking
    >classes for my own edification/enjoyment and I can tell you the exam
    >process there is a joke. Crib sheets and review sessions that give you
    >85% of what's on the exam. There's not much joy in getting 96% on an
    >exam that was practically "given" to me.

    Somebody recently compared A+ to the CLEP, in that they both test objectives
    that you're supposed to study on your own. the CLEP exams for college course
    subjects are considered to be 'easier' exams than you would take if you were
    attending college classes and taking a final exam, however that assessment
    fails to take into account the fact that when you attend a college course you
    are literally being spoon fed the material that the prof intends to put on the
    tests. Cock half an eye open and you'll probably passively soak up enough to
    pass the final exam. That's quite a bit different than having a load of
    'objectives' plunked down in front of you and being expected to get cracking.
    It is almost a given that you will learn more with self-study because you have
    to be highly motivated and active in your pursuit of knowledge.
    Jinkies, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Jinkies wrote:
    > TonySivoriM$ wrote:
    >> It violates your NDA, and it reduces this newsgroup to a braindump.
    >>

    > At least half the questions in any practice exam are braindumps.

    Mike's practice tests are not brain dumps. I used Mike's practice tests
    only twice before I took the real tests, and I used no other practice
    tests.

    > There seems to be a certain segment of regulars to this newsgroup who
    > don't believe they used braindumps to pass when it would be nearly
    > impossible to avoid them.

    I had no trouble avoiding brain dumps because instead of looking for brain
    dumps, I spent my time studying.

    > Stop the deluded sanctimonious hypocritical anti-braindump
    > finger-wagging already!

    I'll wag my finger wherever I like.

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Tony Sivori, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Tony Sivori

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <K16zb.1528$>,
    says...

    >That was me but I don't believe that I said that CLEP examinations were
    >"easier" than college course examinations.

    I didn't say that you said the CLEP examinations are easier than college course
    examinations. The CLEP site says andthe foreward to Cracking the CLEP from
    Princeton Review say that the CLEP examinations are easier than college course
    examinations..

    >In my opinion they may actually
    >be quite a bit harder. College courses are usually taught from a single
    >text book, which sumarizes information from many sources.

    You're repeating what I just said, so I guess we agree.

    > You really have to be a SME
    >or study your ass off to get a good score on most CLEP or DANTES tests.

    I don't know what an SME is.
    Jinkies, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Tony Sivori

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >> Well CompTIA would have a hard time proving that certain exact questions

    >that
    >> appear in a study guide are copyright violation.

    >Who mentioned a copyright violation? Again you reaaly need to work on rthat
    >reading comprehension.

    Well obviously the 'violation of NDA' threat could only scare people who care
    about retaining A+ certification. Anybody else would need to be intimidated by
    a copyright violation threat.

    >So you went from failure to cheat. Not surprising. I'm sure that's typical
    >for you.

    The fact that I hold the same certification you do, and that you think I
    'cheated' to get it, and it's obviously frustrating you to no end, really
    pleases me.

    >Then STFU.

    See above.
    Jinkies, Dec 3, 2003