Re: Some interesting WWII images from The Atlantic

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by philo, Oct 20, 2011.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    > On 2011-10-17 22:29:55 -0700, Savageduck said:
    >
    >> <
    >> http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10/world-war-ii-the-fall-of-nazi-germany/100166/

    > Here is the main page for the series, there are two more to be published.
    >
    > < http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/ww2.html >

    Amazing, historic photos.

    I was stationed in Germany 25 years after the war and there was still plenty
    of damage in sight.
    Blown-up bunkers were common. as were remnants of destroyed buildings...and
    WW-II barbed wire.

    One day, while parked in down-town Nuremberg I realized that the brick-paved
    parking lot was the very square where Hitler gave many of his speeches.
    A very eerie feeling!
    philo, Oct 20, 2011

  2. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/19/2011 08:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-10-19 16:25:50 -0700, "philo" <> said:

    <snip>
    eerie feeling!

    > I can remember London in 1955 when our whole family congregated to
    > celebrate my Great-Grandmother's (on my mother's side)100th birthday.
    > The place was bleak, filthy and seemed to be in a state of decay with
    > war damage reconstruction going on everywhere. The notorious London fog
    > and pollution from coal heated homes was pervasive. I remember black &
    > dirty yellow snow in Hyde Park.
    > That was 10 years after the end of the war, and there was a supposed
    > victor struggling to recover.
    > That was an impression which remains etched in my memory. When visiting
    > the UK and London, I always anticipate that vision of a wasteland, and
    > am always pleasantly surprised to see that great city has healed and
    > grown past those dark days.

    I did get to London in 1971 and there was still the smell of coal.

    Kind of disappointed (in a way) that when I took my daughter there in
    1988...there was no more coal smell. I am sure the Londoners were not
    disappointed however. OTOH: The probably never noticed it in the first place
    philo, Oct 20, 2011

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/19/2011 09:59 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:35:31 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2011-10-19 16:25:50 -0700, "philo"<> said:
    >>

    >>> "Savageduck"<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >> Here

    >>> Amazing, historic photos.

    <snip>

    > I recently travelled through St Petersburg. The city was a burned out
    > ruin after the war but you could not tell that now. Even so, they are
    > still restoring buildings.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    Wow... St. Petersburg would be one place I'd like to go.
    I may never get there but am so happy that thanks to Google Earth
    I was at least somewhat able to take a tour.

    Amazing!
    philo, Oct 20, 2011
  4. philo

    Irwell Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:59:48 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:35:31 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2011-10-19 16:25:50 -0700, "philo" <> said:
    >>

    >>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >>Here

    >>> Amazing, historic photos.
    >>>
    >>> I was stationed in Germany 25 years after the war and there was still plenty
    >>> of damage in sight.
    >>> Blown-up bunkers were common. as were remnants of destroyed buildings...and
    >>> WW-II barbed wire.
    >>>
    >>> One day, while parked in down-town Nuremberg I realized that the brick-paved
    >>> parking lot was the very square where Hitler gave many of his speeches.
    >>> A very eerie feeling!

    >>I can remember London in 1955 when our whole family congregated to
    >>celebrate my Great-Grandmother's (on my mother's side)100th birthday.
    >>The place was bleak, filthy and seemed to be in a state of decay with
    >>war damage reconstruction going on everywhere. The notorious London fog
    >>and pollution from coal heated homes was pervasive. I remember black &
    >>dirty yellow snow in Hyde Park.
    >>That was 10 years after the end of the war, and there was a supposed
    >>victor struggling to recover.
    >>That was an impression which remains etched in my memory. When visiting
    >>the UK and London, I always anticipate that vision of a wasteland, and
    >>am always pleasantly surprised to see that great city has healed and
    >>grown past those dark days.

    > I recently travelled through St Petersburg. The city was a burned out
    > ruin after the war but you could not tell that now. Even so, they are
    > still restoring buildings.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    I went when it was still Leningrad, a murky mess of a city then,
    reminded me of Manchester after the 1940 blitz.
    Irwell, Oct 21, 2011
  5. philo

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/19/2011 9:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    <> snip

    > and pollution from coal heated homes was pervasive. I remember black &
    > dirty yellow snow in Hyde Park.

    Never, never, never eat yellow snow.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 23, 2011
  6. philo

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/19/2011 10:59 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:35:31 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2011-10-19 16:25:50 -0700, "philo"<> said:
    >>

    >>> "Savageduck"<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    >> Here

    >>> Amazing, historic photos.
    >>>
    >>> I was stationed in Germany 25 years after the war and there was still plenty
    >>> of damage in sight.
    >>> Blown-up bunkers were common. as were remnants of destroyed buildings...and
    >>> WW-II barbed wire.
    >>>
    >>> One day, while parked in down-town Nuremberg I realized that the brick-paved
    >>> parking lot was the very square where Hitler gave many of his speeches.
    >>> A very eerie feeling!

    >> I can remember London in 1955 when our whole family congregated to
    >> celebrate my Great-Grandmother's (on my mother's side)100th birthday.
    >> The place was bleak, filthy and seemed to be in a state of decay with
    >> war damage reconstruction going on everywhere. The notorious London fog
    >> and pollution from coal heated homes was pervasive. I remember black&
    >> dirty yellow snow in Hyde Park.
    >> That was 10 years after the end of the war, and there was a supposed
    >> victor struggling to recover.
    >> That was an impression which remains etched in my memory. When visiting
    >> the UK and London, I always anticipate that vision of a wasteland, and
    >> am always pleasantly surprised to see that great city has healed and
    >> grown past those dark days.

    > I recently travelled through St Petersburg. The city was a burned out
    > ruin after the war but you could not tell that now. Even so, they are
    > still restoring buildings.

    That place is on my bucket list.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 23, 2011
  7. philo

    John Turco Guest

    philo wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > I was stationed in Germany 25 years after the war and there was still plenty
    > of damage in sight.
    > Blown-up bunkers were common. as were remnants of destroyed buildings...and
    > WW-II barbed wire.
    >
    > One day, while parked in down-town Nuremberg I realized that the brick-paved
    > parking lot was the very square where Hitler gave many of his speeches.
    > A very eerie feeling!

    Don't those dummkopf know about urban renewal?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 27, 2011