    Bernard.

    PS Why does Tamron always come up in the spelling checker as Tampon (
    gotta add it in )
    Bernard Rother, Aug 21, 2005

  2. Bernard Rother

    Ken Tough Guest

    Bernard Rother <> wrote:

    >They were all taken on a Nikon D70 with either a Tamron 70-300 ( about
    >5% )or Sigma 18-125 (95%) and all hand held .... what I call happy snaps.
    >
    >Of course ..... comments are welcome.

    The sky shot is great. Did you use a filter?
    I like the quad bike shot too, and the chickens. Reminds me of some
    shots I missed at the construction on the way back from St.Lucia,
    where women were selling bowls of pineapples and nuts, and pulling
    sticks of cane from a huge truck stopped at the head of the queue.

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Tough, Aug 21, 2005

  3. Ken Tough wrote:
    > Bernard Rother <> wrote:
    >

    >>They were all taken on a Nikon D70 with either a Tamron 70-300 ( about
    >>5% )or Sigma 18-125 (95%) and all hand held .... what I call happy snaps.
    >>
    >>Of course ..... comments are welcome.

    > The sky shot is great. Did you use a filter?
    > I like the quad bike shot too, and the chickens. Reminds me of some
    > shots I missed at the construction on the way back from St.Lucia,
    > where women were selling bowls of pineapples and nuts, and pulling
    > sticks of cane from a huge truck stopped at the head of the queue.

    Hi Ken, there was no filter used. I honestly forgot how I did it in PS.
    The clouds caught my attention on the way home and I shot mainly for
    that. In ps I selected the sky and cloud area and made that darker and
    more contrasty OptikVerve plug in to get the colour ..... I think.
    When were you over in South Africa. I've never had the chance to get to
    St. Lucia .. it's on my dream list, together with the north eastern
    Transvaal ( ? ) Kruger Park etc.

    Cheers
    Bernard
    Bernard Rother, Aug 22, 2005
  4. Bernard Rother

    Ken Tough Guest

    Bernard Rother <> wrote:

    >Hi Ken, there was no filter used. I honestly forgot how I did it in PS.
    >The clouds caught my attention on the way home and I shot mainly for
    >that. In ps I selected the sky and cloud area and made that darker and
    >more contrasty OptikVerve plug in to get the colour ..... I think.

    Wow, it's a great effect, very powerful.

    >When were you over in South Africa. I've never had the chance to get to
    >St. Lucia .. it's on my dream list, together with the north eastern
    >Transvaal ( ? ) Kruger Park etc.

    We lived in Pretoria for the last 4 years, but are living in
    Canada now. St. Lucia is great; if we ever come back to visit
    we will probably spend almost all the time there. The sea,
    the lake, the park, Hluhluwe Umfolozi etc.. there is just so much
    to take in over there. The hippo cruise was prime material for
    some fantastic photos, but my little boy was tired and crawling
    around like mad every time there was a perfect hippo photo op.
    If you're into whales, a waterproof camera case would give
    brilliant opportunities from the watching trips.

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Tough, Aug 22, 2005
  5. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:58:39 +0200, Bernard Rother, <> wrote:

    > They were all taken on a Nikon D70 with either a Tamron 70-300 ( about
    > 5% )or Sigma 18-125 (95%) and all hand held .... what I call happy snaps.
    >
    > Of course ..... comments are welcome.

    Now I see why people shell out good cash for DSLRs+lenses. The
    images are beautifully sharp. Wish I could get that sharp with my FZ5.

    --
    Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like
    Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow
    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Aug 25, 2005
  6. On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:32:53 +0200, Bernard Rother, <> wrote:

    > Hi Ken, there was no filter used. I honestly forgot how I did it in PS.
    > The clouds caught my attention on the way home and I shot mainly for
    > that. In ps I selected the sky and cloud area and made that darker and
    > more contrasty OptikVerve plug in to get the colour ..... I think.

    A quick-n-dirty hack that works in Gimp and Photoshop etc is to...
    - bring up the "curve" dialog
    - grab the middle of the curve
    - pull the midpoint down and to the right

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Aug 25, 2005