Re: Some different Nikon News

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Feb 18, 2012.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:18:54 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2012-02-17 16:08:10 -0800, Eric Stevens <> said:
    :
    : > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:45:04 -0800, Savageduck
    : > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : >
    : >> On 2012-02-17 14:52:39 -0800, Eric Stevens <> said:
    : >>
    : >>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:48:58 -0800, Savageduck
    : >>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
    : >>>> < http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-killing-camera-repair/ >
    : >>>
    : >>> I noted the story is promoted by Ifixit.com. Presumably they are no
    : >>> longer on the list of Nikon approved repairers. Perhaps at least some
    : >>> of their comments are due to sour grapes.
    : >>>
    : >>> Regards,
    : >>>
    : >>> Eric Stevens
    : >>
    : >> I think "promoted" might not be a good choice of words. It is their
    : >> story. Camera repair is one part of their business, and when a
    : >> manufacturer, or more likely in this case a distributer in Nikon USA
    : >> denies them part of that business when they are more than capable of
    : >> handling the task I guess they might not be happy about it. They have
    : >> just made their situation known to all who might care.
    : >>
    : >> Ifixit is a great, knowledgeable, & geeky repair service specializing
    : >> in repair of all types of electronics including digital cameras, Macs
    : >> and Apple products in particular. They gained a reputation for being
    : >> first in line to demonstrate tear down and reveals of Apple product
    : >> innards.
    : >>
    : >> Along with making repairs they also provide DIY kits along with
    : >> replacement parts and video guides. Here is one such DIY guide for an
    : >> iPhone 4 repair.
    : >> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBpFPfx5aBw&feature=relmfu >
    : >>
    : >> These guys are very good at what they do, and best of all they are
    : >> local for me. I have only bought a logic board from them for my
    : >> father's PowerBook G4 and I have been quite satisfied. In my opinion
    : >> these are the guys who should be working at the Apple "Genius Bars".
    : >
    : > And I would expect them to be upset if Apple took away their access to
    : > Apple parts. I wonder what they would say about Apple?
    :
    : That would be far more damaging to their business than the loss of
    : local Nikon repairs, and I imagine they would be just as vocal in
    : protest since they have a fairly large platform. However, IMBW, but I
    : suspect they have a somewhat different relationship with Apple and the
    : folks in Cupertino.

    Maybe they do, but in our relentlessly capitalistic society, opportunistic
    greed almost invariably trumps existing relationships eventually. My guess is
    that if Apple suddenly thought they could make a few bucks by doing so, they'd
    drop Ifixit like a hot rock.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Feb 18, 2012

  2. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:34:42 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    wrote:
    :
    : >:
    : >: > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:45:04 -0800, Savageduck
    : >: > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : >: >
    : >: >> On 2012-02-17 14:52:39 -0800, Eric Stevens <> said:
    : >: >>
    : >: >>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:48:58 -0800, Savageduck
    : >: >>>
    : >:
    : >: That would be far more damaging to their business than the loss of
    : >: local Nikon repairs, and I imagine they would be just as vocal in
    : >: protest since they have a fairly large platform. However, IMBW, but I
    : >: suspect they have a somewhat different relationship with Apple and the
    : >: folks in Cupertino.
    : >
    : >Maybe they do, but in our relentlessly capitalistic society, opportunistic
    : >greed almost invariably trumps existing relationships eventually. My guess is
    : >that if Apple suddenly thought they could make a few bucks by doing so, they'd
    : >drop Ifixit like a hot rock.
    : >
    : That's why there are such things a contracts.
    :
    : Regards,
    :
    : Eric Stevens

    Robert Coe, Feb 18, 2012

  3. Robert Coe

    : >:
    : >: That would be far more damaging to their business than the loss of
    : >: local Nikon repairs, and I imagine they would be just as vocal in
    : >: protest since they have a fairly large platform. However, IMBW, but I
    : >: suspect they have a somewhat different relationship with Apple and the
    : >: folks in Cupertino.
    : >
    : >Maybe they do, but in our relentlessly capitalistic society, opportunistic
    : >greed almost invariably trumps existing relationships eventually. My guess is
    : >that if Apple suddenly thought they could make a few bucks by doing so, they'd
    : >drop Ifixit like a hot rock.
    : >
    : That's why there are such things a contracts.

    And you can bet the rent money that when it comes to determining what the
    contract means and when it can be broken, Apple will have more (and probably
    better) lawyers on the case than Ifixit.

    Bob

    Sorry about the aborted post. I've had that happen several times in the past
    couple of months. I'd like to blame it on my newsreader, but it's probably my
    own inattention. :^|

    Robert Coe, Feb 18, 2012
  4. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/18/2012 6:02 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:34:42 +1300, Eric Stevens<>
    > wrote:

    <snip>
    > :>
    > : That's why there are such things a contracts.
    >
    > And you can bet the rent money that when it comes to determining what the
    > contract means and when it can be broken, Apple will have more (and probably
    > better) lawyers on the case than Ifixit.

    Better lawyers doesn't mean a thing.

    Who has the better judges. ;-)

    --
    > Sorry about the aborted post. I've had that happen several times in

    the past
    > couple of months. I'd like to blame it on my newsreader, but it's

    probably my
    > own inattention. :^|

    I can personally testify that it happens with age.
    Peter

    PeterN, Feb 19, 2012