Re: Some different Nikon News

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Feb 18, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/16/2012 7:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
    > < http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-killing-camera-repair/ >
    >



    I am normally highly in favor of small business. While there are many
    good and decent repair services, I have also heard of some pretty bad
    screw ups. The screwed up cameras frequently end up at Nikon repair
    services, who then charge a lot for the fix. Indeed the repair has to
    cover the cost of the botch, plus what it would have cost anyway. The
    consumer then blames Nikon for overcharging, while forgetting that the
    sloppy repair was the cause.
    I live about 10 minutes from Nikon and have found them to be fair and
    reasonable in their policies. My main bitch is that they will not repair
    older models and older lenses.
    If you or I decide to open a retail camera store we would be able to
    sell most consumer grade Nikons, but would not be authorized to sell the
    professional line.


    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Feb 18, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/17/2012 8:51 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-02-17 17:35:58 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 2/16/2012 7:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>> I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon
    >>> repairs.
    >>> < http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-killing-camera-repair/ >
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> I am normally highly in favor of small business. While there are many
    >> good and decent repair services, I have also heard of some pretty bad
    >> screw ups. The screwed up cameras frequently end up at Nikon repair
    >> services, who then charge a lot for the fix. Indeed the repair has to
    >> cover the cost of the botch, plus what it would have cost anyway. The
    >> consumer then blames Nikon for overcharging, while forgetting that the
    >> sloppy repair was the cause.
    >> I live about 10 minutes from Nikon and have found them to be fair and
    >> reasonable in their policies. My main bitch is that they will not
    >> repair older models and older lenses.
    >> If you or I decide to open a retail camera store we would be able to
    >> sell most consumer grade Nikons, but would not be authorized to sell
    >> the professional line.

    >
    > You are fortunate to have Nikon 10 minutes from your home.


    that had something to do with my decision to stick with Nikon when I
    went digital.

    > You might
    > have noted the disassembled camera was a D70. These folks will repair
    > older models, they do not touch lenses. It seems that Nikon USA is going
    > to deny small repair businesses such as Ifixit the parts to repair older
    > and discontinued cameras you have noted they will not repair.


    For how long should a manufacturer continue to manufacture parts for
    obsolete models.

    I have an Abu-Garcia fishing reel. circa 1971 and made in France. The
    new ones are pure junk. When I need parts I go to some guy who has
    stocked old reels that he acquired for parts. I would not be surprised
    if a cannibal industry grew up.


    >
    > As far as botched repairs by unqualified folks, I agree, they have no
    > reason to complain if Nikon fixing things results in a higher charge.
    > That is a risk they took. However with regard to diagnostics with
    > electronic devices such as digital cameras and computers they are more
    > than competent.
    >
    > ....and for me they are only 40 minutes from where I live.
    >



    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Feb 18, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:51:01 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : You [(Peter Newman)] are fortunate to have Nikon 10 minutes from your
    : home. You might have noted the disassembled camera was a D70. These
    : folks will repair older models, they do not touch lenses. It seems that
    : Nikon USA is going to deny small repair businesses such as Ifixit the
    : parts to repair older and discontinued cameras you have noted they will
    : not repair.
    :
    : As far as botched repairs by unqualified folks, I agree, they have no
    : reason to complain if Nikon fixing things results in a higher charge.
    : That is a risk they took. However with regard to diagnostics with
    : electronic devices such as digital cameras and computers they are more
    : than competent.
    :
    : ...and for me they are only 40 minutes from where I live.

    Who? The unqualified folks? :^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Feb 18, 2012
    #3
  4. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:35:58 -0500, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : If you or I decide to open a retail camera store we would be able to
    : sell most consumer grade Nikons, but would not be authorized to sell
    : the professional line.

    Comical, actually, since most of us would be more knowledgeable about the
    professional line than about the consumer grade cameras. What's the reasoning
    behind that policy?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Feb 26, 2012
    #4
  5. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 2/26/2012 5:45 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:35:58 -0500, PeterN<>
    > wrote:
    > : If you or I decide to open a retail camera store we would be able to
    > : sell most consumer grade Nikons, but would not be authorized to sell
    > : the professional line.
    >
    > Comical, actually, since most of us would be more knowledgeable about the
    > professional line than about the consumer grade cameras. What's the reasoning
    > behind that policy?
    >
    > Bob


    I can't give you a logical and informed answer. My guess is that Nikon
    wants to support its existing retailing network. Of course, I could
    purchase an existing store.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Feb 26, 2012
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Joe
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,212
  2. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    879
    petrolhead
    May 12, 2005
  3. David Dyer-Bennet

    Re: Some different Nikon News

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 17, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    25
    Views:
    514
    PeterN
    Mar 1, 2012
  4. Robert Coe

    Re: Some different Nikon News

    Robert Coe, Feb 18, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    225
    PeterN
    Feb 19, 2012
  5. David Taylor
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    208
Loading...

Share This Page