Re: some B&W landscape conversions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Noons, Oct 13, 2010.

  1. Noons

    Noons Guest

    On Oct 12, 2:48 pm, Troy Piggins <> wrote:

    > 1.  This is my fav of the set.  Feels nicely balanced to me.  Bit
    > of FG interest, nice sky.  As mentioned above, still cursing I
    > left my tripod in Oz, would love to have had 30s exposure of
    > this:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5070563395_632d06ac37_b.jpg
    >
    > 2.  In hindsight I think this would have worked better with the
    > FG 2/3 and the sky 1/3 instead.  Same comment about the water:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5071170306_83167e5890_b.jpg
    >
    > 3.  This shot looked promising in-camera, but just doesn't do it
    > for me.  Not sure why.  Definitely not happy with the sky -
    > overcast, bit blown, and boring:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5073736224_b89d1b6128_b.jpg

    You got these in dA as well, haven't ya?
    Noons, Oct 13, 2010

  2. Noons

    Noons Guest

    Troy Piggins wrote,on my timestamp of 13/10/2010 9:32 PM:
    > * Noons wrote :
    >> On Oct 12, 2:48 pm, Troy Piggins<> wrote:
    >>
    >> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 7 lines snipped |=---]
    >>> FG 2/3 and the sky 1/3 instead. Same comment about the water:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5071170306_83167e5890_b.jpg
    >>>
    >>> 3. This shot looked promising in-camera, but just doesn't do it
    >>> for me. Not sure why. Definitely not happy with the sky -
    >>> overcast, bit blown, and boring:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5073736224_b89d1b6128_b.jpg

    >> You got these in dA as well, haven't ya?

    > Ya.

    Thought I'd seen them somewhere.
    Excellent for the first one. Second one needs definitely a different framing, if
    that is 1/3 sky 2/3 ground, dunno: something dosn't play well there, and I'm not
    convinced it's the log.
    Third one I'd have done as landscape rather than portrait, too late now! ;)
    Still good stuff and thanks for sharing.
    Noons, Oct 13, 2010

  3. On 10/13/10 PDT 4:18 AM, Noons wrote:
    > Troy Piggins wrote,on my timestamp of 13/10/2010 9:32 PM:
    >> * Noons wrote :
    >>> On Oct 12, 2:48 pm, Troy Piggins<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 7 lines snipped |=---]

    >>> You got these in dA as well, haven't ya?

    >> Ya.
    >>

    > Thought I'd seen them somewhere.
    > Excellent for the first one. Second one needs definitely a different
    > framing, if that is 1/3 sky 2/3 ground, dunno: something dosn't play
    > well there, and I'm not convinced it's the log.
    > Third one I'd have done as landscape rather than portrait, too late now! ;)
    > Still good stuff and thanks for sharing.

    I agree with this post. The last one is very interesting, and I hope you
    shot also some landscape oriented ones of the scene. Nitpick: The
    horizon is off by a degree or less, perhaps not noticeable to any but
    sailors or marine photographers.....

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Oct 13, 2010