Re: Software Restriction Policies

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Bhargav Shukla, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all....
    >
    > I am preping for the 292 exam and am a bit confused on the rules that

    apply to software restriction.

    > Path rules make perfect sense....no worries.
    >
    > Certificate rules. Can I use one on software that is going to be updated

    with patches and/or new versions without re-applying the certificate?

    Certificate rules will verify certificate when trying to run application. If
    the application being patched does not loose it's certificate in it's
    upgrade process, you are safe.

    > Hash rules. Does the above apply here as well?

    Usually hash changes when applying patches unless it does not update the exe
    itself. You can create new hash from updated application install and use
    that for your rule.

    > Internet zone rules. I understand this is applicable to MSI installers.

    What about un-signed active-x?

    Internet Zone rules apply to websites. You specify policies based on your
    zone configurations (i.e. intranet site can be specified in intranet zone
    and can be configured to trust so that you can run any unsigned activex
    applications developed inhouse).

    > Thanks in advance!!
    >
    > Paul

    HTH.