Re: Software licensing - what's customary?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. richard wrote:

    > Sarah Austin wrote:
    >> I realize that terms vary from company to company, but I'm wondering
    >> if the following is generally customary:
    >>
    >> If someone registers and pays for software, for home use, can they
    >> usually install it on their DT and LT too?

    Some software's EULA allows you to use it on one Desktop and one Laptop.

    >> Or, for example, on 2 networked DT's and a LT at home only?

    Normally, no. That's *two* Desktops.

    Now, on to RtS's comments...

    > Don't worry about it, just do it.
    > Until they can figure out a way to write data to a write protected
    > disk, they ain't gonna know any different.

    Sure they will. You'll never understand why, of course.

    > Quite frankly, in my not so expert humble opinion,

    ........................^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Wow, congratulations on getting *something* right!

    > the single computer use license is a violation of the copyright laws.

    No, it isn't. If the software company/author chooses to allow you to
    only use one instance of the product, it is well within their right to
    do so. None of your erroneous rantings about copyright law can change
    that.

    > What if my laptop is stolen and I have to replace it? I have to buy
    > another disk in order to use that software? Bullshit.

    Well, duh! If your laptop with the software is *stolen* and you buy a
    *new* laptop, how about counting _how_many_ computers you are running
    the software on at any one time!

    > That's like saying you can buy a book, but you can read it only once.
    > Or watch a video only once.

    No it isn't at all like that. How many times we gotta tell you this?
    Forever, it seems. The book or video equals the software as you can run
    the software many times, and you can read the book many times. You just
    cannot *copy* either one of them.

    > Now you can read the replies the "real experts" will post.

    Since you claimed above to be "not so expert" what else would you
    expect? Someone has to challenge your mistakes and bad information.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 31, 2009

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:08:54 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >No it isn't at all like that. How many times we gotta tell you this?
    >Forever, it seems. The book or video equals the software as you can run
    >the software many times, and you can read the book many times. You just
    >cannot *copy* either one of them.

    Didn't st00pid make some comment like "If I buy an mp3, it's myne and
    I can give it to all my friends?"

    He then made the 'analogy' that the mp3 'rules' are like saying if he
    gets a book from the library, he cannot give the book to a friend.

    You just can't fix st00pid.

    Evan Platt, Aug 31, 2009

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Evan Platt wrote in news::

    > On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:08:54 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>No it isn't at all like that. How many times we gotta tell you this?
    >>Forever, it seems. The book or video equals the software as you can run
    >>the software many times, and you can read the book many times. You just
    >>cannot *copy* either one of them.

    > Didn't st00pid make some comment like "If I buy an mp3, it's myne and
    > I can give it to all my friends?"
    >
    > He then made the 'analogy' that the mp3 'rules' are like saying if he
    > gets a book from the library, he cannot give the book to a friend.
    >
    > You just can't fix st00pid.

    Surely, if you get a book from a libray you can't give it to a friend
    anyway as it belongs to the library, and is only on loan to you.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 31, 2009
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:22:40 GMT, "Brian H¹©"
    <> wrote:

    >Surely, if you get a book from a libray you can't give it to a friend
    >anyway as it belongs to the library, and is only on loan to you.

    Sorry, bad wording on my part - I can GIVE it to you as long as I get
    it back to the library in time. Nothing prohibits that.

    And woah, I missed the boat. Here's what St00pid said:

    "You get a book from the public library. While in your possession you
    make a copy of it. Has the library violated the law?"

    Just as silly.

    Evan Platt, Aug 31, 2009
  5. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Evan Platt wrote in news::

    > On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:22:40 GMT, "Brian H¹©"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Surely, if you get a book from a libray you can't give it to a friend
    >>anyway as it belongs to the library, and is only on loan to you.

    > Sorry, bad wording on my part - I can GIVE it to you as long as I get
    > it back to the library in time. Nothing prohibits that.
    >
    > And woah, I missed the boat. Here's what St00pid said:
    >
    > "You get a book from the public library. While in your possession you
    > make a copy of it. Has the library violated the law?"
    >
    > Just as silly.

    His first 2 sentences made sense though ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Aug 31, 2009
  6. Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> No it isn't at all like that. How many times we gotta tell you this?
    >>> Forever, it seems. The book or video equals the software as you can
    >>> run the software many times, and you can read the book many times.
    >>> You just cannot *copy* either one of them.

    >> Didn't st00pid make some comment like "If I buy an mp3, it's myne
    >> and I can give it to all my friends?"

    All of his friends (he has friends?) may *listen* to it while he plays
    it on his equipment, but he cannot make copies of it to give to them to
    be used on their equipment. Naturally, he will dispute this.

    >> He then made the 'analogy' that the mp3 'rules' are like saying if
    >> he gets a book from the library, he cannot give the book to a
    >> friend.

    Technically, he could allow a friend to read the book, within the
    allotted lease time, but he must then collect it and return it.

    >> You just can't fix st00pid.

    > Surely, if you get a book from a libray you can't give it to a friend
    > anyway as it belongs to the library, and is only on loan to you.

    I don't think the library cares who, or how many, read the book during
    the time you have it signed out. At least my local library doesn't seem
    to mind.

    But somebody would, if I copied the book...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 31, 2009
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote in news:h7haaj$4tq$-
    september.org:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >
    >> Evan Platt wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Didn't st00pid make some comment like "If I buy an mp3, it's myne
    >>> and I can give it to all my friends?"

    > All of his friends (he has friends?) may *listen* to it while he plays
    > it on his equipment, but he cannot make copies of it to give to them to
    > be used on their equipment. Naturally, he will dispute this.
    >
    >>> He then made the 'analogy' that the mp3 'rules' are like saying if
    >>> he gets a book from the library, he cannot give the book to a
    >>> friend.

    > Technically, he could allow a friend to read the book, within the
    > allotted lease time, but he must then collect it and return it.
    >
    >>> You just can't fix st00pid.

    >> Surely, if you get a book from a libray you can't give it to a friend
    >> anyway as it belongs to the library, and is only on loan to you.

    > I don't think the library cares who, or how many, read the book during
    > the time you have it signed out. At least my local library doesn't seem
    > to mind.
    >
    > But somebody would, if I copied the book...

    I was going by the use of the word give, as opposed to lend or loan.
    Give as in transfer ownership.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 31, 2009
  8. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:03:31 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> He then made the 'analogy' that the mp3 'rules' are like saying if he
    >>> gets a book from the library, he cannot give the book to a friend.

    > Technically, he could allow a friend to read the book, within the
    > allotted lease time, but he must then collect it and return it.

    But what if the friend colours it in before RtS gets it back?

    --
    “Every now and again the United States has to pick up a crappy little
    country and throw it against a wall just to prove we are serious.â€

    Aardvark, Sep 1, 2009
  9. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 02:35:00 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >But what if the friend colours it in before RtS gets it back?

    We'll work on getting st00pid and his friends to walk upright, then
    move on to such complex things as drawing in the lines.

    Evan Platt, Sep 1, 2009
  10. Aardvark wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >> Technically, he could allow a friend to read the book, within the
    >> allotted lease time, but he must then collect it and return it.

    > But what if the friend colours it in before RtS gets it back?

    <LOL!> Good one.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 1, 2009
  11. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:41:39 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 02:35:00 GMT, Aardvark <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>But what if the friend colours it in before RtS gets it back?

    >We'll work on getting st00pid and his friends to walk upright, then
    >move on to such complex things as drawing in the lines.

    This just in, from the Pleonasms Department:

    Have you noticed that lately when he posts it's just to voice an uninformed
    opinion about something that isn't as stupid as he is?

    He's either off his meds, or on way, WAY too many of the wrong kind.

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Sep 1, 2009