Re: Sniffer port in 3550 switches

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by alexd, Jun 11, 2008.

  1. alexd

    alexd Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:00:34 +0000, jmoseby_ wrote:

    > I want to set up a port to monitor ALL the traffic on my network. My
    > goal is to be able to sniff traffic between any two hosts, regardless of
    > which switch they are connected to.

    > interface FastEthernet0/24
    > description monitor-port-vlan1
    > port monitor VLAN1
    > !
    >
    > Will this do what I need it to do? Could it possibly be this easy?

    No. You will to tell the other 13 switches to monitor VLAN1 also, eg:

    monitor session 1 source vlan 1 rx
    monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 10

    And then port monitor VLAN10 instead [not going to work on the unmanaged
    switch]. However, I would caution that you could end up overwhelming your
    network with traffic. What exactly are you trying to achieve? If it's
    just statistics you're after, how about SNMP or Netflow? If you want
    every frame, you'd be best served by being a bit more specific. If you
    /do/ decide to monitor all those ports, make sure you've got a big hard
    drive on your Wireshark monitoring station ;-)

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:52:18 up 3 days, 7:59, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00

    alexd, Jun 11, 2008