Re: SMTP Time Date Stamp

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Apr 22, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Cupid Stunt wrote:

    > I sent an e-mail before midnight to a government agency, and they are saying
    > now that I'm not eligible for my unemployment benefits because I filled the
    > appeal 2 MINUTES late!

    Generally there is an appeals process for such things.

    > My clocks at home said I sent it 5 minutes before midnight, but the "time
    > stamp" on my e-mail indicates that it was 2 minutes late.

    An email has a lot of time stamps on it/ it it.

    > How does the time/date feature work? Does it "stamp" the time from my
    > computer, my internet provider, or the end recipient?

    Typically, your email's Date information line (which is actually part of
    the DATA section of the mail, not part of the smtp transaction envelope)
    reflects your own system's time setting. Such time setting can be
    grossly incorrect as to time, day, month, or year.

    In addition to that Date stamp, every server which handled the item
    stamps it with the server's time and timezone offset in the Received:
    from tracelines. The recipient of your mail can see all of those stamps
    as well as whatever Date you claimed.

    > Does anyone know of any link to this information that I can print for my
    > appeal? I found a link and when I tried to print, it was 112 pages long.
    > Anything a little more simple for an attorney? I still need to make my
    > point, but 112 pages is *way* too long.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    I don't know what you think you are going to prove if/ just because/ you
    know the similarities and differences between your Date stamp and the
    servers' traceline stamps as described above.

    It would seem to me that your appeal would be based on your honest
    /belief/ that the mail was sent in time.

    It would (also) seem to me that the denial of the appeal would be based
    on the fact that a strict interpretation of the rule would not
    accommodate mistaken clock settings on the part of the supplicant.

    It is also possible that the recipient gummit has misjudged the time
    that their server received the mail and needs an education in reading
    the traceline headers of the mail.

    Your Sent folder copy of course does not have access to the necessary
    tracelines which the recipient has. This is an example of when
    sometimes it is useful to send yourself a copy of an email.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 22, 2010