Re: SMSlisto screwy

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by John, Apr 18, 2009.

  1. John

    John Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > Anyone else having problems with SMSlito or other Betamax clones today?
    > I am dialling numbers but getting no dial tone ano sound etc although
    > the calls are registering on the account and being charged.
    > If I call numbers which I route through voipfone.co.uk there is no
    > problem (home number and 0800 numbers)
    >
    > Was playing up a bit yesterday with long delays on dialing.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Pete

    It still wasn't working for me this morning so I dug deeper.

    In my case it appears that the problem was with the G.722 audio codec
    used on Siemens gigaset s685ip and a580ip. I changed to codec "G.722 a
    law" and it now appears to work.

    Prior to this the G.722 had been working fine for 6 months.
    John, Apr 18, 2009

  2. In article <gshese$o1v$>,
    www.GymRatZ.co.uk <> wrote:
    >John wrote:
    >
    >> In my case it appears that the problem was with the G.722 audio codec
    >> used on Siemens gigaset s685ip and a580ip. I changed to codec "G.722 a
    >> law" and it now appears to work.
    >>
    >> Prior to this the G.722 had been working fine for 6 months.

    >Thanks John.
    >You've saved me.
    >Wasn't working again this morning so I went to gigaset and chose
    >"manual" codec and shifted G722 down the stack by one and G711a law to
    >the top of the SMSListo codec pile and we're back in action.
    >Thankyou most kindly.

    Not sure why you're bothering with G722 as calls that terminate to the
    PSTN will be no better than G711 anyway (mobiles worse - GSM)

    However a negotiation should take place - you have a list of avalable
    codecs and a prefered order - as will the device you're talking to,
    so between then, they ought to be able to sort it out...

    But maybe it's just the default in these devices...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Apr 20, 2009