Re: SMART on SATA hard drives

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jan 30, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "Rick" <> wrote in

    > I have been using Hard Drive Inspector
    > (www.altrixsoft.com/en/hddinsp/) for years to monitor the temp and
    > health of my IDE drives. A few weeks ago I got a new computer with a
    > SATA hard drive and installed the program. Everything was working
    > great but several days later the program started to complain about
    > SMART values changing on the drive (seek time, power up time, spin up
    > time, etc).

    Average or individual times? If average over how many? IMHO any program
    designed to measure such things is pointless. Hard drives have a HTBF in
    the 100,000 hour range. Checking CPU and video card chip temperatures
    are warrented, but with hard drives, it comes down to the drive not
    spinning up read/write errors and then very shortly afterwards complete
    failure.

    > The changes to these values were minor, but one of the features I like
    > about this program is that it projects the time until failure of the
    > drive based on how the SMART values change. It was projecting a "death
    > date" of 6/2010.

    What independent source do you have that these numbers actually mean
    anything?

    > I got the computer manufacture to replace the drive with a new one and
    > copied all my stuff of it. I deleted the Hard Drive Inspector data for
    > the old drive and started fresh.

    What was the reason they gave for doing it?

    > HDI started to report problems with the new drive a few days after
    > install. I cant believe that 2 brand new drives would have problems
    > that would lead to failure in 6 months.

    So exactly the same as the other drive. Sure sounds like the program's
    junk.

    > What is puzzling me is that I think that the SMART values reported
    > come directly from the hard drive SMART circuitry so values that are
    > in the 89% range after a few weeks really worry me.

    How would they know when a electric motor or magnetic media is going to
    fail? Those are the only two things that fail on a hard drive. The motor
    that spins it or the media isn't laid exactly the same thickness
    everywhere. Figure 5-10 years. Make backups. Hard drives are cheap, your
    data isn't.

    > I contacted Altrixsoft for more info to see if it was somehow the
    > software that was making false reports but they have been
    > unresponsive.

    So they're not answering direct questions about their program. Until you
    get a real reply with some decent test data, I wouldn't bother with the
    program at all.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 30, 2010