Re: Small DVB-T set top box needed.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JohnO, Nov 20, 2010.

  1. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    On Nov 20, 2:55 pm, Suzie Wong <> wrote:
    > I need one to feed my Old Hard Disk recorder, must have timer recording
    > option like the Sanyo, Draco and Sommet , Zinwell   does not have that
    > option as I found out with Google searches.
    >
    > But from what I can see all they sell here is no name branded models
    > that seem to be full of Bugs..
    >
    > OZZY seems to have far greater range and with real Brands like Sony,
    > Panasonic and Toshiba etc..
    >
    > So why are being treated like a bunch of idiots, crap units way way over
    > priced.
    >
    > May be there will be a better range when the cut of time comes around.
    >
    > The problem I am finding that nearly all the brands do not list the
    > Unite Size even with the Dealers web site and manuals..


    It's probably our odd-ball setup in NZ that limits the choice.
     
    JohnO, Nov 20, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:15:18 +1300, Mutley
    <> wrote:

    >Suzie Wong <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 23:05:56 -0800 (PST), JohnO <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Nov 20, 2:55 pm, Suzie Wong <> wrote:
    >>>> I need one to feed my Old Hard Disk recorder, must have timer recording
    >>>> option like the Sanyo, Draco and Sommet , Zinwell   does not have that
    >>>> option as I found out with Google searches.
    >>>>
    >>>> But from what I can see all they sell here is no name branded models
    >>>> that seem to be full of Bugs..
    >>>>
    >>>> OZZY seems to have far greater range and with real Brands like Sony,
    >>>> Panasonic and Toshiba etc..
    >>>>
    >>>> So why are being treated like a bunch of idiots, crap units way way over
    >>>> priced.
    >>>>
    >>>> May be there will be a better range when the cut of time comes around.
    >>>>
    >>>> The problem I am finding that nearly all the brands do not list the
    >>>> Unite Size even with the Dealers web site and manuals..
    >>>
    >>>It's probably our odd-ball setup in NZ that limits the choice.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>I have read that NZ will be moving to the DVB-T T2 at around cut off
    >>day, this is what the UK now uses, so I hope that they use the same
    >>standard and not a modified one, so NZ can use standard gear and not
    >>special versions for NZ market that must cost a lot more.
    >>
    >>
    >>Info on DVB-T T2
    >>
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T2
    >>
    >>http://www.dvb.org/news_events/news/dvb_steering_board_ratifi/index.xml
    >>
    >>http://www.dvb.org/technology/dvbt2/
    >>
    >>http://www.dvb.org/technology/dvbt2/a114.cm0831r1.CRs_DVB-T2.pdf

    >
    >Can't see it happening here any time soon. We're just starting to get
    >penetration with the existing DTT system without adding a new one to
    >the mix with a new lot of gear won't go down well. Maybe something
    >for the SAT service would be better..




    They did it in the UK, DVB-T T2 was implemented this year.
     
    William Brown, Nov 21, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Nov 20, 2:55 pm, Suzie Wong <> wrote:
    >> I need one to feed my Old Hard Disk recorder, must have timer
    >> recording option like the Sanyo, Draco and Sommet , Zinwell does not
    >> have that option as I found out with Google searches.
    >>
    >> But from what I can see all they sell here is no name branded models
    >> that seem to be full of Bugs..
    >>
    >> OZZY seems to have far greater range and with real Brands like Sony,
    >> Panasonic and Toshiba etc..
    >>
    >> So why are being treated like a bunch of idiots, crap units way way
    >> over priced.
    >>
    >> May be there will be a better range when the cut of time comes
    >> around.
    >>
    >> The problem I am finding that nearly all the brands do not list the
    >> Unite Size even with the Dealers web site and manuals..

    >
    > It's probably our odd-ball setup in NZ that limits the choice.


    .... so I strongly suggest that you (Roger) move to Australia (or OZZY if you
    prefer) ASAP.

    TTFN and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
    --
    Shaun.

    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
    monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also
    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
     
    ~misfit~, Nov 21, 2010
    #3
  4. JohnO

    Richard Guest

    On 21/11/2010 5:26 p.m., William Brown wrote:
    >
    >
    > They did it in the UK, DVB-T T2 was implemented this year.



    To replace a well overdue mpeg2 SD service, so yes a valid upgrade path.
    Replacing a h264 SD service, is not really a sensible upgrade.
     
    Richard, Nov 21, 2010
    #4
  5. On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:27:52 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >On 21/11/2010 5:26 p.m., William Brown wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> They did it in the UK, DVB-T T2 was implemented this year.

    >
    >
    >To replace a well overdue mpeg2 SD service, so yes a valid upgrade path.
    >Replacing a h264 SD service, is not really a sensible upgrade.




    Read the specs some 50% better than DVB-T1, has a number of
    improvements.



    Here is the Fact Sheet


    http://www.dvb.org/technology/fact_sheets/DVB-T2_Factsheet.pdf
     
    William Brown, Nov 21, 2010
    #5
  6. JohnO

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-11-21, Mutley <> wrote:
    >
    > But what did they have before mpeg2 or mpeg 4??


    The Moving Pictures Expert Group. Read about it here

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Picture_Experts_Group

    Cunning stuff this MPEGing, One can use any encoder ones likes as long is it
    compliant and the decoder will decode.

    Note the use of

    a) Interested people forming a group
    b) to produce standards which are workable
    c) as the encoder and decoder are not "one" there is freedom to improve the
    encoder and the decoder stays the same, simple programme.

    Yes, there were/is MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG3, and MPEG4. MP3's came out of MPEG3
     
    Gordon, Nov 22, 2010
    #6
  7. JohnO

    Squiggle Guest

    On 22/11/2010 5:49 p.m., Gordon threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > On 2010-11-21, Mutley <> wrote:
    >>
    >> But what did they have before mpeg2 or mpeg 4??

    >
    > The Moving Pictures Expert Group. Read about it here
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Picture_Experts_Group
    >
    > Cunning stuff this MPEGing, One can use any encoder ones likes as long is it
    > compliant and the decoder will decode.
    >
    > Note the use of
    >
    > a) Interested people forming a group
    > b) to produce standards which are workable
    > c) as the encoder and decoder are not "one" there is freedom to improve the
    > encoder and the decoder stays the same, simple programme.
    >
    > Yes, there were/is MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG3, and MPEG4. MP3's came out of MPEG3


    err, mp3s came out of mpeg 1 i think you'll find. mp3 = mpeg1 layer 3,
    and AFAIK there is still debate of the patent status of mp3 decoders
    that aren't licenced by Fraunhoffer Institute.
     
    Squiggle, Nov 22, 2010
    #7
  8. JohnO

    victor Guest

    On 22/11/2010 5:49 p.m., Gordon wrote:
    > On 2010-11-21, Mutley<> wrote:
    >>
    >> But what did they have before mpeg2 or mpeg 4??

    >
    > The Moving Pictures Expert Group. Read about it here
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Picture_Experts_Group
    >
    > Cunning stuff this MPEGing, One can use any encoder ones likes as long is it
    > compliant and the decoder will decode.
    >
    > Note the use of
    >
    > a) Interested people forming a group
    > b) to produce standards which are workable
    > c) as the encoder and decoder are not "one" there is freedom to improve the
    > encoder and the decoder stays the same, simple programme.
    >
    > Yes, there were/is MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG3, and MPEG4. MP3's came out of MPEG3


    mp3 is MPEG 1 audio layer 3
    There is no MPEG 3 standard.
     
    victor, Nov 22, 2010
    #8
  9. JohnO

    Richard Guest

    On 22/11/2010 11:35 a.m., William Brown wrote:
    >
    > Read the specs some 50% better than DVB-T1, has a number of
    > improvements.
    >
    >
    >
    > Here is the Fact Sheet
    >
    >
    > http://www.dvb.org/technology/fact_sheets/DVB-T2_Factsheet.pdf


    50% better how? 50% less shortland street reruns? 50% less music videos
    surrounded by black on all sides? 50% less infomercials all morning?
     
    Richard, Nov 22, 2010
    #9
  10. JohnO

    victor Guest

    On 24/11/2010 12:52 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 12:06:36 +1300, Richard<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 22/11/2010 11:35 a.m., William Brown wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Read the specs some 50% better than DVB-T1, has a number of
    >>> improvements.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Here is the Fact Sheet
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dvb.org/technology/fact_sheets/DVB-T2_Factsheet.pdf

    >>
    >> 50% better how? 50% less shortland street reruns? 50% less music videos
    >> surrounded by black on all sides? 50% less infomercials all morning?

    >
    >
    >
    > Just think for a moment not every one can afford Sky, I did have it
    > some years back when I was earning a Wage but got feed up with the
    > Adverts.
    >
    > Plus wee don't have a good free access to Internet TV, in France you get
    > 26 Channels, plus full uncapped Internet use at around half the price of
    > broadband here.
    >

    Not many people here speak French
    And they cut off your goolies for file sharing.
     
    victor, Nov 24, 2010
    #10
  11. en
     
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Nov 25, 2010
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dima
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,385
    Dmitriy
    Oct 20, 2004
  2. News Reader
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,332
    News Reader
    Apr 10, 2006
  3. matrix

    Looking for freeview set top box cracks

    matrix, Mar 19, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,653
    John Robinson
    Mar 20, 2006
  4. XPD

    DVB-S or DVB-T ?

    XPD, Jul 3, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    531
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Jul 4, 2007
  5. KiwiBrian

    TV Set-top box query

    KiwiBrian, Jun 12, 2010, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    30
    Views:
    1,148
    Brocker
    Jun 22, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page