Re: slow slow slow!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in

    > Can anybody help. Lately my PC has slowed sown something awful. It's a
    > Dell Vostro 200 using Vista and just over a year old. The biggest
    > nuisance is when I load photos into PS. In my previous system, I could
    > drag 400 images from a folder and they would open in a couple of
    > minutes. Now it takes forever. Manipulating images is driving me nuts! I
    > edited 60 photos on Sunday past and a job that would have once taken
    > 15-20 minutes took me two hours! I have been told that Vista is
    > diabolical and that I should get XP installed on this PC. A bit of
    > advice was to increase my RAM as it was only 1gb and I have done that
    > today so there's now 3gb in it but it doesn't seem to have helped. I
    > constantly get "program not responding" messages when I open my mail or
    > other programs although they do eventually open. I have also defragged
    > the PC and removed a lot of image folders so I was hoping I would be
    > flying today but for the past 10 mins PS displays "not responding" as
    > photos are being loaded. Basically, I mostly use my PC for photo imagery
    > but this is ridiculous. I was going to buy a new PC last week but I
    > wasn't allowed as this one is relatively new. Any suggestions
    > anybody.....................please?

    Try this. The most common cause BTW.

    start->run msconfig <enter>

    Disable the startup group items. Click apply and restart. When windows
    comes back it will probably tell you what you just did and if you want to
    undo it. You *don't* so say *no*. See what kind of performance you then
    get.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 10, 2008