Re: slow slow slow!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. eugene wrote:

    > Can anybody help. Lately my PC has slowed sown something awful

    In my experience, the most common cause of "slow slow slow" is malware.
    Viruses, trojans, spyware.

    Are you on broadband? You may be part of a malicious botnet and it's
    sitting there spewing spam to the world. Do you have a working
    up-to-date anti-virus program running? Which one?

    > The biggest nuisance is when I load photos into PS. In my previous
    > system, I could drag 400 images from a folder and they would open in
    > a couple of minutes. Now it takes forever.

    PS = PaintShop? Why would you want to load 400 (probably large file)
    images at once?

    > A bit of advice was to increase my RAM as it was only 1gb and I have
    > done that today so there's now 3gb in it but it doesn't seem to have
    > helped.

    1GB of ram will be mostly consumed by Vista. 3GB is much better. But as
    you say it didn't help, the problem is elsewhere.

    What anti-malware steps have you taken? Get these two free for home use
    applications; download, install, update online, do deep scan, report
    back.

    SUPERAntiSpyware: http://superantispyware.com/
    MalwareBytes Anti-Malware: http://malwarebytes.org/

    > I was going to buy a new PC last week but I wasn't allowed as this one
    > is relatively new.

    :)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 10, 2008

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Walter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > eugene wrote:
    >
    >> Can anybody help. Lately my PC has slowed sown something awful

    > In my experience, the most common cause of "slow slow slow" is
    > malware. Viruses, trojans, spyware.
    >
    > Are you on broadband? You may be part of a malicious botnet and it's
    > sitting there spewing spam to the world. Do you have a working
    > up-to-date anti-virus program running? Which one?
    >
    >> The biggest nuisance is when I load photos into PS. In my previous
    >> system, I could drag 400 images from a folder and they would open in
    >> a couple of minutes. Now it takes forever.

    > PS = PaintShop? Why would you want to load 400 (probably large file)
    > images at once?
    >
    >> A bit of advice was to increase my RAM as it was only 1gb and I have
    >> done that today so there's now 3gb in it but it doesn't seem to have
    >> helped.

    > 1GB of ram will be mostly consumed by Vista. 3GB is much better. But
    > as you say it didn't help, the problem is elsewhere.
    >
    > What anti-malware steps have you taken? Get these two free for home
    > use applications; download, install, update online, do deep scan,
    > report back.
    >
    > SUPERAntiSpyware: http://superantispyware.com/
    > MalwareBytes Anti-Malware: http://malwarebytes.org/
    >
    >> I was going to buy a new PC last week but I wasn't allowed as this
    >> one is relatively new.

    > :)

    ROFL!
    Walter, Dec 10, 2008

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:18:03 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >eugene wrote:
    >
    >> Can anybody help. Lately my PC has slowed sown something awful

    >In my experience, the most common cause of "slow slow slow" is malware.
    >Viruses, trojans, spyware.

    Yup. My old clunker (Athlon XP2800 socket A, 2 Ghz) blows all my friends new
    machines out of the water. Of course it didn't when their machines were new..,
    but these folks seem to lack the best AV of all, brain cells!

    My fave.. "My computer was slow and crashing all the time, so I ran defrag."
    Shel-hed, Dec 10, 2008