Re: slow slow slow!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Expert lino fitter, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. eugene <> wrote:
> [...]
    >>> Can anybody help. Lately my PC has slowed sown something awful.
    >>> It's a Dell Vostro 200 using Vista and just over a year old. The
    >>> biggest nuisance is when I load photos into PS. In my previous
    >>> system, I could drag 400 images from a folder and they would open
    >>> in a couple of minutes. Now it takes forever. Manipulating images
    >>> is driving me nuts! I edited 60 photos on Sunday past and a job
    >>> that would have once taken 15-20 minutes took me two hours! I have
    >>> been told that Vista is diabolical and that I should get XP
    >>> installed on this PC. A bit of advice was to increase my RAM as it
    >>> was only 1gb and I have done that today so there's now 3gb in it
    >>> but it doesn't seem to have helped. I constantly get "program not
    >>> responding" messages when I open my mail or other programs although
    >>> they do eventually open. I have also defragged the PC and removed a
    >>> lot of image folders so I was hoping I would be flying today but
    >>> for the past 10 mins PS displays "not responding" as photos are
    >>> being loaded. Basically, I mostly use my PC for photo imagery but
    >>> this is ridiculous. I was going to buy a new PC last week but I
    >>> wasn't allowed as this one is relatively new. Any suggestions
    >>> anybody.....................please?

    >> It sounds like you've already covered off the obvious, i.e. more RAM
    >> and a defrag of your disk.
    >>
    >> Other suggestions:
    >>
    >> 1. Do a disk check.
    >>
    >> 2. Any errors reported in the event log - in particular the Windows
    >> System log. (There may be some errors, use your discretion as to
    >> whether they might be relevant.)
    >>
    >> 3. Fire up task manager, click "Show processes from all users" and
    >> see if there is anything else running which is taking significant
    >> cpu time. I suspect there won't be anything significant, but its a
    >> logical thing to check before point 4:
    >>
    >> 4. From task manager, on the performance tab click "Resource
    >> Monitor...", when Resource Monitor opens click on Disk and it will
    >> show which processes are writing to the disk. Since disk intensive
    >> operations tend to slow everything else down, see what is
    >> reading/writing to the disk whilst you are doing your image
    >> manipulation stuff. 5. Download and run spybot, incase you've picked up
    >> something nasty.
    >>
    >> 6. Download and run ccleaner, and let it clear your temporary files
    >> and registry.
    >>
    >> 7. Do you have a good graphics card?
    >>
    >> 8. Open up "System Properties", and on the "Advanced" tab under
    >> Performance click Settings..., and then "Adjust for best
    >> performance". (Although to be honest I don't know how much of a
    >> difference that might make.)
    >>
    >> That's about all I can think of for now.
    >>
    >> Personally now that I'm used to Vista I wouldn't want to go back to
    >> XP, but I know many who don't share my opinion.
    >> --
    >> Brian Cryer
    >> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    > Thanks for all of that Brian. Someone should give yer other man

    LOL

    Great, blame others for your fuckwittery... remember eugreene, you're the
    muppet that's got to go through all that shit checking this, checking that
    for hours on end, and when you're finished it's likely you'll be back
    whimpering for more fucked up help.

    You cited your machine to be a year old - XP can barely breath past six
    months of incessant updates. I'll be a penny to a pinch of shit you haven't
    done anything with XP since you first bought your 'puter' have you?

    Back up your shit, format and reinstall, you twit.

    Lino, it's the only thing I know other than being an expert.

    Expert lino fitter, Dec 10, 2008

  2. WeReo_ScoTTy <> wrote:

    > Rough, but maybe gets the job done under the gun.

    Cross-hairs and a target would be a more than satisfactory alternative
    option.

    Expert lino fitter, Dec 10, 2008

  3. "Expert lino fitter" <> wrote in message

    > You cited your machine to be a year old - XP can barely breath past six
    > months of incessant updates.

    Just because YOU don't know how to maintain an XP box doesn't mean OTHER
    people can't.

    > I'll be a penny to a pinch of shit you haven't done anything with XP since
    > you first bought your 'puter' have you?

    Of course he hasn't done anything with XP since he bought his machine you
    fuckwad ... he clearly states in the OP that his machine is running VISTA!

    J¡m ßéâñ, Dec 10, 2008

    J¡m ßéâñ, Dec 12, 2008
  5. Thin stool... Cancer? Worried

    J¡m ßéâñ, Dec 12, 2008