Re: Slow lens rant

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lionel, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:45:18 -0400, in <>,
    JK <> said:

    >Why are many new digital cameras being released with lenses that
    >are f4.8 or slower at max telephoto?

    Because they're cheaper to make.

    > Do the camera makers think
    >that consumers won't realize how much this limits the existing light
    >abilities of the cameras?

    Yes, & with good reason.

    > Many people want to take photos indoors
    >without using a flash or tripod.

    Yes, & I expect that they probably want a pony too, which is equally
    feasible.
    'Cheap', 'fast' or 'good' - pick any two. This rule is just as true of
    cameras as it is with anything else.

    > It is sad that there are so few digital
    >cameras(especially small small ones) that perform well in low light.

    The Canon Powershots are about as good as it gets.

    Lionel, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Lionel

    Allan Mayer Guest

    In article <bfqg1t$vos$>, Lionel <> writes:

    >The Canon Powershots are about as good as it gets.

    Uh... the Oly C 3030, C 4040, and C 5050 all have the f/1.8 lens
    which is as fast as it gets in prosumer digital camera's.
    With my C 4040Z indoors is nor problem, as long as there is
    *reasonable* lighting.

    But no question, I can take pics without flash in lower light levels
    than my friends with their Cannon, or Sony digital camera's !

    Allan
    http://members.aol.com/Thetabat/hello.html

    Allan Mayer, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Lionel

    George Kerby Guest

    On 7/27/03 10:05 AM, in article
    , "Allan Mayer"
    <> wrote:

    > In article <bfqg1t$vos$>, Lionel <> writes:
    >
    >> The Canon Powershots are about as good as it gets.

    > Uh... the Oly C 3030, C 4040, and C 5050 all have the f/1.8 lens
    > which is as fast as it gets in prosumer digital camera's.
    > With my C 4040Z indoors is nor problem, as long as there is
    > *reasonable* lighting.
    >
    > But no question, I can take pics without flash in lower light levels
    > than my friends with their Cannon, or Sony digital camera's !

    Uh... Allan that's "Canon" with ONE "n", not the weapon.
    ;-)

    George Kerby, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Lionel

    Guest

    In message <>,
    JK <> wrote:

    >I guess none of your friends have a Sony f717? It would be nice
    >if Olympus includes an ISO 800 mode in its next cameras. Even
    >if it is a bit noisy, sometimes one needs an extra stop. Getting
    >an image with some noise is better than not getting an image.

    ISO 800 is always better than using ISO 400 on the same camera,
    underexposing by a stop, and pushing it back up in software. The noise
    and signal are both less quantized, allowing the brain to more easily
    distinguish between them.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Jul 28, 2003