  1. In message <48fdb18e$>, Bobs wrote:

    > Yes, 4 gigs of ram and Vista 64.

    I think he wants to avoid the troubles of 64-bit Dimdows.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2008

  2. In message <48fe6573$>, Bobs wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <48fdb18e$>, Bobs wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, 4 gigs of ram and Vista 64.

    >> I think he wants to avoid the troubles of 64-bit Dimdows.

    > What troubles are those? Mine runs perfectly.

    Having to run 2 different versions of Internet Explorer, one that supports
    Flash and one that doesn't. And suffer other mysterious losses of
    application functionality.

    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=511>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 22, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <48fe6573$>, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> I think he wants to avoid the troubles of 64-bit Dimdows.

    >> What troubles are those? Mine runs perfectly.

    > Having to run 2 different versions of Internet Explorer, one that supports
    > Flash and one that doesn't. And suffer other mysterious losses of
    > application functionality.
    >
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=511>

    I have never run the 64 bit version of IE, there seems to be no reason
    for them to include it other then to say that everything that comes with
    it is 64 bit.

    The biggest problem I had was microsoft office groove not doing file
    sync on 64 bit, so I had to change to using microsoft live mesh for that
    purpose.

    Also it was a prick getting my PIC programmer that hangs off the
    parallel port working since there was at the time no signed driver for
    direct hardware access to the port. Thats all ok now, not that I have
    used it for about 6 months.

    Richard, Oct 22, 2008
  4. In message <gdlscd$ot2$>, Richard wrote:

    > I have never run the 64 bit version of IE, there seems to be no reason
    > for them to include it other then to say that everything that comes with
    > it is 64 bit.

    What is the point of having a 64-bit OS, if not to run 64-bit apps?

    > The biggest problem I had was microsoft office groove not doing file
    > sync on 64 bit, so I had to change to using microsoft live mesh for that
    > purpose.

    Interesting that 64-bit Dimdows is not completely backwards-compatible for
    32-bit apps. Linux is able to manage this, why not Dimdows?

    > Also it was a prick getting my PIC programmer that hangs off the
    > parallel port working since there was at the time no signed driver for
    > direct hardware access to the port.

    Hardware vendors should stick to hardware, and not try to write software.
    Publish the specs and let software folks write the drivers. Much less pain
    all round.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 22, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gdlscd$ot2$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I have never run the 64 bit version of IE, there seems to be no reason
    >> for them to include it other then to say that everything that comes with
    >> it is 64 bit.

    > What is the point of having a 64-bit OS, if not to run 64-bit apps?

    To fully address the memory available in a current desktop pc, to allow
    for expanding that memory without having to change operating system, to
    get around some of the other limitations that the 32 bit operating
    systems have with other resource limitations.

    >> The biggest problem I had was microsoft office groove not doing file
    >> sync on 64 bit, so I had to change to using microsoft live mesh for that
    >> purpose.

    > Interesting that 64-bit Dimdows is not completely backwards-compatible for
    > 32-bit apps. Linux is able to manage this, why not Dimdows?

    Because it replaces parts of windows explorer and they dont make a 64
    bit replacement file for whatever it adds into it.

    Richard, Oct 22, 2008