Re: Slimline desktop computer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2008.

  1. In message <>, ofn01 wrote:

    > OS Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, for 32-bit systems (Cue
    > commiserations from Linux fanboys)

    Actually I was thinking more commiseration with 64-bit Dimdows fanboys...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2008

  2. In message <48fd9d38$>, ofn01 wrote:

    > Currently my Ubuntu install is having hissy fits with nautilus failing
    > when calling up menus with an SMB share in them - causes the whole gui to
    > freeze & requires a reset.

    Doesn't seem possible. One malfunctioning GUI app cannot freeze the entire X
    server. You should still be able to open a terminal window and kill the
    offending process. Or if not, switch to a virtual console (ctrl-alt-Fn),
    log in there and kill the problem process.

    Even if the whole X server is malfunctioning, you can kill and restart it
    with control-alt-backspace--still no need to restart the whole system.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2008

  3. In message <48fda353$>, ofn01 wrote:

    >> In message <48fd9d38$>, ofn01 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Currently my Ubuntu install is having hissy fits with nautilus failing
    >>> when calling up menus with an SMB share in them - causes the whole gui
    >>> to freeze & requires a reset.

    >> Doesn't seem possible. One malfunctioning GUI app cannot freeze the
    >> entire X
    >> server. You should still be able to open a terminal window and kill the
    >> offending process. Or if not, switch to a virtual console (ctrl-alt-Fn),
    >> log in there and kill the problem process.
    >>
    >> Even if the whole X server is malfunctioning, you can kill and restart it
    >> with control-alt-backspace--still no need to restart the whole system.

    > ctrl-alt-backspace didn't work

    What about ctrl-alt-Fn to switch to text console n?

    I had a look at the xorg.conf on my Eee-Ubuntu install, and there are no
    lines to disable either ctrl-alt-backspace (Option "DontZap") or
    ctrl-alt-Fn (Option "DontVTSwitch").

    > The menu option usually works fine - then mysteriously it doesn't show the
    > menu & I can't switch desktops or interact with any applications.

    Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch desktops? In KDE I can hit ctrl-Fn to
    switch to desktop n.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Murray Symon Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <48fd9d38$>, ofn01 wrote:
    >
    >> Currently my Ubuntu install is having hissy fits with nautilus failing
    >> when calling up menus with an SMB share in them - causes the whole gui to
    >> freeze & requires a reset.

    > Doesn't seem possible. One malfunctioning GUI app cannot freeze the entire
    > X server. You should still be able to open a terminal window and kill the
    > offending process. Or if not, switch to a virtual console (ctrl-alt-Fn),
    > log in there and kill the problem process.
    >
    > Even if the whole X server is malfunctioning, you can kill and restart it
    > with control-alt-backspace--still no need to restart the whole system.

    The savage driver on Savage chipsets still does that when using DRI. It's
    done it for years. 3D apps (e.g. Staellarium) can cause a total hard lockup.

    Murray Symon, Oct 22, 2008