Re: Skype on a Samsung N150 Netbook computer

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Bodincus, May 20, 2010.

  1. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    (20/05/10 08:40), Mick.:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My son has just bought a Samsung N150 Netbook computer.
    >
    > It has a Intel ATOM Processor N450
    >

    > He bought Orange mobile internet broadband.
    >

    > We can not get it to connect as yet but When using a hard wire connection to
    > my router we have a download speed of: 6129 KBPS And Upload of: 366KBPS
    >

    > I have downloaded the latest Skype so he can speak to and see his girl
    > friend as they are apart through work.
    >

    > But Skype has a red question mark in the connection box, and reports the
    > computer is running too slow to make a call.
    >
    > With the same router my computer has a healthy green full bar signal
    > registered and works ok.
    >

    > Any help will be much welcomed, thanks,
    >
    > Mick.

    It's not the connection speed, it's the processor speed. that netbook is
    just not powerful enough to do the type of call you ask Skype to.
    I suspect you can forget video calls on that netbook, and it'll struggle
    with audio too.

    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ************************
    Bodincus, May 20, 2010

  2. Bodincus

    Wayne Pyrah Guest

    I use Skype on my original ASUS 4G eeepc
    Works fine - no worries and thats a low spec netbook

    Don't think I have a special skype installed

    Wayne Pyrah, May 23, 2010

  3. Bodincus

    Wayne Pyrah Guest

    Yes Mobile Broadband can be up and down...
    Often depends on time of day and the area usage

    Could you not use wifi ?

    Wayne Pyrah, May 24, 2010
  4. On 25/05/2010 12:00, Mick. wrote:
    > "Mick."<> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Wayne Pyrah"<> wrote in message
    >>> Yes Mobile Broadband can be up and down...
    >>> Often depends on time of day and the area usage
    >>>
    >>> Could you not use wifi ?

    >> Hi Wayne,
    >> I know this makes me really thick! but could you explain about
    >> wifi and how we would use it please?
    >> Mick.

    > Hi again Wayne,
    > I have just googled it to see about wifi, and now
    > understand better, but he needs to be able to use it anywhere.
    > He is only living at his brothers home while off work through sickness, he
    > will then move away but does not yet know where!
    >
    > If mobile 3 Networks is usable then that will get him by.
    > Thanks,
    > Mick.

    I have read that Orange block the use of Skype on their 3G network in
    some countries. I don't know whether they do this in the UK.
    Salvador Freemanson, May 26, 2010