Re: Sipgate voicemail

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Chapie, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. Chapie

    Chapie Guest

    "Martin Jay" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sipgate's voicemail service is amusing. Menu prompts and message
    > details are read out in a mixture of three or four different voices:
    > some male, some female. It sounds very weird. :)
    > --
    > Martin Jay

    Its been like that for several years! :)))
    I thought it was going to be a temporary thing a few years ago, but NO, its
    never changed.

    Bloody Daft, when it could easily be put right and would make the system
    sound far better and more professional.

    A strange state of affairs.......
    Chapie, Jun 22, 2008

  2. Chapie

    cybuerke Guest

    "Chapie" <> wrote in message

    > "Martin Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> Sipgate's voicemail service is amusing. Menu prompts and message
    >> details are read out in a mixture of three or four different voices:
    >> some male, some female. It sounds very weird. :)
    >> --
    >> Martin Jay

    > Its been like that for several years! :)))
    > I thought it was going to be a temporary thing a few years ago, but NO,
    > its
    > never changed.
    >
    > Bloody Daft, when it could easily be put right and would make the system
    > sound far better and more professional.
    >
    > A strange state of affairs.......

    Not brilliant, is it?
    But still better than voip.co.uk's effort - "I'm sorry, the mailbox
    configured has not been found." I suspect it's all down to folks just using
    these services as a freebie. Tell you what - let's all chip in a few quid
    each and see if the providers will stretch to a real phone service.

    Betcha neither of those is going to happen!
    cybuerke, Jun 22, 2008

  3. In article <g3m7b9$1ab4$>,
    cybuerke <> wrote:

    >"Chapie" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Martin Jay" <> wrote in message
    >>> Sipgate's voicemail service is amusing. Menu prompts and message
    >>> details are read out in a mixture of three or four different voices:
    >>> some male, some female. It sounds very weird. :)
    >>> --
    >>> Martin Jay

    >> Its been like that for several years! :)))
    >> I thought it was going to be a temporary thing a few years ago, but NO,
    >> its
    >> never changed.
    >>
    >> Bloody Daft, when it could easily be put right and would make the system
    >> sound far better and more professional.
    >>
    >> A strange state of affairs.......

    >Not brilliant, is it?
    >But still better than voip.co.uk's effort - "I'm sorry, the mailbox
    >configured has not been found." I suspect it's all down to folks just using
    >these services as a freebie. Tell you what - let's all chip in a few quid
    >each and see if the providers will stretch to a real phone service.
    >
    >Betcha neither of those is going to happen!

    So create your own ...

    .... or pay someone to do it for you.

    The trouble is, that I don't think it's commercially viable for a small
    number of enthusiasts chipping in a few quid each, however getting
    a server in London is relatively cheap, plumbing it into a wholesale
    VoIP <-> PSTN company is do-able... You just need to find enough people
    committed to doing it...

    Actually, it probably is do-able for a very small number - it's when you
    try to scale things when it becomes "interesting" :)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 22, 2008
  4. Chapie

    cybuerke Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <g3m7b9$1ab4$>,
    > cybuerke <> wrote:

    >>Not brilliant, is it?
    >>But still better than voip.co.uk's effort - "I'm sorry, the mailbox
    >>configured has not been found." I suspect it's all down to folks just
    >>using
    >>these services as a freebie. Tell you what - let's all chip in a few quid
    >>each and see if the providers will stretch to a real phone service.
    >>
    >>Betcha neither of those is going to happen!

    > So create your own ...
    >
    > ... or pay someone to do it for you.

    Yeahbut - that wheel's already been invented. voipuser.org.uk run a pretty
    creditable enthusiasts' operation existing on 0844 income or donations from
    those who only use it for outgoing calls.

    > The trouble is, that I don't think it's commercially viable for a small
    > number of enthusiasts chipping in a few quid each, however getting
    > a server in London is relatively cheap, plumbing it into a wholesale
    > VoIP <-> PSTN company is do-able... You just need to find enough people
    > committed to doing it...
    >
    > Actually, it probably is do-able for a very small number - it's when you
    > try to scale things when it becomes "interesting" :)
    >
    > Gordon

    With the blurring of the differences between VoIP and PSTN, I wonder if
    there is much of a future for the smallish VISP? When TalkTalk (I know, I
    know - don't all shout at me - they're much more organised now - read the
    latest reports and forums) can deliver a phone line, inclusive UK and
    international calls and broadband for around 20 sovs a month, who's going to
    need the aggro and expense of separate systems and hardware except for we
    nutters?
    cybuerke, Jun 23, 2008
  5. In article <g3no20$uok$>,
    cybuerke <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <g3m7b9$1ab4$>,
    >> cybuerke <> wrote:

    >>>Not brilliant, is it?
    >>>But still better than voip.co.uk's effort - "I'm sorry, the mailbox
    >>>configured has not been found." I suspect it's all down to folks just
    >>>using
    >>>these services as a freebie. Tell you what - let's all chip in a few quid
    >>>each and see if the providers will stretch to a real phone service.
    >>>
    >>>Betcha neither of those is going to happen!

    >> So create your own ...
    >>
    >> ... or pay someone to do it for you.

    >Yeahbut - that wheel's already been invented. voipuser.org.uk run a pretty
    >creditable enthusiasts' operation existing on 0844 income or donations from
    >those who only use it for outgoing calls.
    >
    >> The trouble is, that I don't think it's commercially viable for a small
    >> number of enthusiasts chipping in a few quid each, however getting
    >> a server in London is relatively cheap, plumbing it into a wholesale
    >> VoIP <-> PSTN company is do-able... You just need to find enough people
    >> committed to doing it...
    >>
    >> Actually, it probably is do-able for a very small number - it's when you
    >> try to scale things when it becomes "interesting" :)
    >>
    >> Gordon

    >With the blurring of the differences between VoIP and PSTN, I wonder if
    >there is much of a future for the smallish VISP? When TalkTalk (I know, I
    >know - don't all shout at me - they're much more organised now - read the
    >latest reports and forums) can deliver a phone line, inclusive UK and
    >international calls and broadband for around 20 sovs a month, who's going to
    >need the aggro and expense of separate systems and hardware except for we
    >nutters?

    Who knows! For me it's all part of the whole thing I offer my clients -
    mostly SME types who want flexability, but there's a world of difference
    between supporting a smaller number of businesses who you can get to know
    almost on a personal level vs. 100's or 1000's of ordinary punters...
    I don't think the PSTN is going to go away for a long time yet though,
    especially with the likes of BT, etc. offering 12-month rolling
    contracts.. I just noticed a 24-month mobile phone contract yesterday
    too - the big companies want lock-in and seem afraid of change...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 23, 2008
  6. Chapie

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Chapie <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : "Martin Jay" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Sipgate's voicemail service is amusing. Menu prompts and message
    : > details are read out in a mixture of three or four different voices:
    : > some male, some female. It sounds very weird. :)
    : > --
    : > Martin Jay
    :
    : Its been like that for several years! :)))
    : I thought it was going to be a temporary thing a few years ago, but
    : NO, its never changed.
    :
    : Bloody Daft, when it could easily be put right and would make the
    : system sound far better and more professional.
    :
    : A strange state of affairs.......

    The problem arose when it was found that the standard Asterisk voice
    prompts (upon which the system is based) couldn't, for some reason, be
    used. I think it was something to do with copyright/licensing, but I've
    never been able to find out.

    They got someone locally to record them, but the quality is, as you say,
    rather poor and it really should have been changed by now.

    I rarely use it actually, I have the messages forwarded as email
    attachments so I don't often need to call it.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 23, 2008
  7. Chapie

    alexd Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:59:31 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    > The problem arose when it was found that the standard Asterisk voice
    > prompts (upon which the system is based) couldn't, for some reason, be
    > used. I think it was something to do with copyright/licensing, but I've
    > never been able to find out.

    Seems unlikely. The sounds are BSD licensed:

    "These sounds are BSD-licensed, meaning that they can be used for any
    purpose, including incorporation into commercial packages."

    And to think Sipgate have recorded their own version of "We're off
    gambling and getting drunk" for no reason!

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:54:57 up 5 days, 20:36, 2 users, load average: 1.18, 1.13, 1.09
    alexd, Jun 23, 2008
  8. Chapie

    Graham. Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:59:31 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
    >
    >> The problem arose when it was found that the standard Asterisk voice
    >> prompts (upon which the system is based) couldn't, for some reason, be
    >> used. I think it was something to do with copyright/licensing, but I've
    >> never been able to find out.

    > Seems unlikely. The sounds are BSD licensed:
    >
    > "These sounds are BSD-licensed, meaning that they can be used for any
    > purpose, including incorporation into commercial packages."

    She is called Allison Smith.

    Does anyone know who "Jane" is in my TomTom?
    I've been driving her around for 3 years now, it's about
    time we were formally introduced ;-)

    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%