Re: Sipgate to Voipfone

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by alexd, Aug 16, 2008.

  1. alexd

    alexd Guest

    http://sipbroker.net

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    15:26:45 up 35 days, 18:03, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.03

    alexd, Aug 16, 2008

  2. alexd

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:48a6e3b1$0$629$,
    alexd <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:50:24 +0100, Wayne wrote:
    :
    : > Is there anyway to call a Voipfone number from Sipgate without going
    : > through the PSTN?
    :
    : http://sipbroker.net

    I find that site very difficult to navigate. How exactly would I call say
    Gradwell from Sipgate using this service..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 16, 2008

  3. In article <>,
    Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >In news:48a6e3b1$0$629$,
    >alexd <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    >: On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:50:24 +0100, Wayne wrote:
    >:
    >: > Is there anyway to call a Voipfone number from Sipgate without going
    >: > through the PSTN?
    >:
    >: http://sipbroker.net
    >
    >I find that site very difficult to navigate. How exactly would I call say
    >Gradwell from Sipgate using this service..?

    You don't.

    AIUI, You make your phone dial-out via the Sipbroker service... So you
    dial a prefx to sipbroker, then your outgoing call goes via whichever
    service you choose, and incoming calls from any of the remote services
    are forwarded to your phone...

    Your VoIP phone/device doesn't even need to register with them.

    So you don't dial a Gradwell number from Sipgate, you dial it from your
    phone connected to Sipbroker.

    So for the OP's requirement, just register with sipbroker, then lookup
    the prefix for voipfone (*350), dial *350 then the number on the
    voipfone network...

    To get to a Gradwell number, it's *309 then the number.

    It sort of saves every VoIP operator peering with everyone else, but I
    don't know how they're funded, or what their stability is...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 16, 2008
  4. alexd

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:g8702b$2bm5$,
    Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : In article <>,
    : Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    [snip]

    : >I find that site very difficult to navigate. How exactly would I
    : >call say Gradwell from Sipgate using this service..?
    :
    : You don't.
    :
    : AIUI, You make your phone dial-out via the Sipbroker service... So
    : you dial a prefx to sipbroker, then your outgoing call goes via
    : whichever service you choose, and incoming calls from any of the
    : remote services are forwarded to your phone...
    :
    : Your VoIP phone/device doesn't even need to register with them.
    :
    : So you don't dial a Gradwell number from Sipgate, you dial it from
    : your phone connected to Sipbroker.

    Sorry, I'm having trouble getting this. Do I have to configure my system
    to dial out via Sipbroker, then..? How would I do this on a Fritz!Box..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 16, 2008
  5. alexd

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:29:44 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:g8702b$2bm5$,
    >Gordon Henderson <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >: In article <>,
    >: Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >: >I find that site very difficult to navigate. How exactly would I
    >: >call say Gradwell from Sipgate using this service..?
    >:
    >: You don't.
    >:
    >: AIUI, You make your phone dial-out via the Sipbroker service... So
    >: you dial a prefx to sipbroker, then your outgoing call goes via
    >: whichever service you choose, and incoming calls from any of the
    >: remote services are forwarded to your phone...
    >:
    >: Your VoIP phone/device doesn't even need to register with them.
    >:
    >: So you don't dial a Gradwell number from Sipgate, you dial it from
    >: your phone connected to Sipbroker.
    >
    >Sorry, I'm having trouble getting this. Do I have to configure my system
    >to dial out via Sipbroker, then..? How would I do this on a Fritz!Box..?
    >
    >Ivor

    For ATAs, such as Linksys/Sipura 3102/3000 etc it is simple. Just
    include something like this in your dial plan and it should work:
    *xx. <:mad:sipbroker.com>
    There is no need to do any setting up in the gayeways etc.
    If there is a particular number you want to call with easy access then
    simply do this:
    <#1:*266300><:mad:sipbroker.com>
    Where the Sipbroker number follows the ':'
    Dial #1 for the sound of monkeys!

    Sipbroker needs no username or password. If your ATA gets upset
    because you haven't used one then enter anything.
    Fritzbox:
    I don't want to digress by complaining about the way the Fritzbox is
    configured ( I have one btw) but as Sipbroker numbers start with a '*'
    this can cause problems with a Fritzbox. I know that there are ways
    round this but they are very user unfriendly - i.e. more digits to
    dial.

    If you want to use Sipbroker with a Fritzbox, avoiding the '*'
    problem, then you could get a free account with Voxalot. Voxalot, as
    it stands will accept Sipbroker numbers. To use with a Frizbox use the
    dial plan facility in Voxalot like this for example:-
    Say you decided that to indicate this is a Sipbroker number you would
    precede it with 11
    In the advanced settings, on Voxalot, do this:-
    Pattern: _11X.
    Comment: Sipbroker Access
    Replacement: *{EXTEN:2}
    Provider: Sipbroker
    Active:Yes
    Virtual Toll Free Enabled: No
    Enum lookup: No
    Geographic Lookup: No

    Then save it.

    There is no need to set up Sipbroker in the providers' list as it is
    available as standard.

    Now, in your Fritzbox, or any other ATA for that matter.
    Set up Voxalot as a provider
    SIP: eu.voxalot.com

    Now you can dial Sipbroker numbers on a Fritzbox just by replacing the
    * with 11.

    If you already use voxalot then simply dial the Sipbroker number
    straight off and it will work (remember the *)

    You can also dial US 1800 numbers via Sipbroker.
    For example:
    *1800555TELL (TELL=8355) - Tell Me service
    Via the Tell Me service you can access many US companies, airlines
    etc. It is voice controlled.
    It is also possible to access Sipbroker :-

    Where the Sipbroker number begins with a *

    Sipbroker numbers are in two parts rather like the area code and the
    local number on PSTN.
    Part 1: The code to access the provider of number you are calling
    Part 2: The SIP number.
    So, for example, let's say you wanted to call a number on Voiptalk
    that was 8xxxxxxxx
    The code for voiptalk is *258
    so the full number would be
    *2588xxxxxxx
    The codes are listed on the sipbroker web site.
    Now, if you don't want to do any setting up and the person you want to
    call doesn't have a PSTN number attached to his/her voip number then
    you can call a Sipbroker PSTN access line and enter the Sipbroker
    number in there.

    1. A sip address
    2. Via Voxalot as described, just dial the Sipbroker number directly.
    3. Set up your ATA with SIP Proxy: sipbroker.com (don't need user or
    pw)
    4. Call via one of the many worldwide PSTN access numbers.

    Some VSPs block Sipbroker, you'll see which ones on th eSipbroker.com
    web site.
    Thats it - ignore the following unless you want to read my ramblings
    about the Fritzbox.

    Now my rant about the Fritzbox - I hope AVM read this.
    I positively HATE the Fritzbox dial rules system, it isn't a patch on
    the Linksys. In an effort to make it simple they make the dialling
    experience hell. IMHO a good dialling experience is one that is
    indistinguishable from standard PSTN (or easier). The Fritzbox is a
    mega failure in this respect. What the designers were thinking I don't
    know. The 'Quick dials' are anything but. I mean, a typical 'Quick
    dial' is **701# - SIX DIGITS, how is that a 'quickdial'? If they had
    a check box with a complete 'opt out' from their stupid system it
    would be better. Having to dial a # after every number is ridiculous
    also.
    The very best thing AVM could do is update the Fritzbox with the
    ability to use a Linksys style dial plan as an alternative to what
    they have now. Those who want to carry on with the old system can then
    do so.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---

    Brian A, Aug 16, 2008
  6. alexd

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Brian A <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    reason:

    [snip]

    : Fritzbox:
    : I don't want to digress by complaining about the way the Fritzbox is
    : configured ( I have one btw) but as Sipbroker numbers start with a '*'
    : this can cause problems with a Fritzbox. I know that there are ways
    : round this but they are very user unfriendly - i.e. more digits to
    : dial.

    It's not a problem - dialling *# gives you dial tone again with all
    further digits transmitted to line.

    Notwithstanding the solution below (which I will try if all else fails)
    assuming I can dial numbers starting with * how would I go about it..? Do
    I have to set up an additional SIP account..?

    Ivor

[...]

    Eh..? You don't - I never do.

    : The very best thing AVM could do is update the Fritzbox with the
    : ability to use a Linksys style dial plan as an alternative to what
    : they have now. Those who want to carry on with the old system can then
    : do so.

    That would be a good idea I agree.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 17, 2008
  7. alexd

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:12:30 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Brian A <> typed, for some strange, unexplained
    >reason:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >: Fritzbox:

    >Notwithstanding the solution below (which I will try if all else fails)
    >assuming I can dial numbers starting with * how would I go about it..? Do
    >I have to set up an additional SIP account..?

    You don't need to set up an account with anyone. I don't know of a
    way to include a SIP address as part of the dialling rules in a
    Fritzbox, so it will mean that a SIP account for Sipbroker, or
    Voxalot, will need to be set up for one of the Fon extensions. That is
    one of the reasons I suggested Voxalot because that will also provide
    other features. Voxalot will also allow you to use more providers for
    example. If you want to register a provider (so you can receive
    incoming calls) , as distinct from simply using one to call out, it
    will mean paying an annual fee.
    The Sipbroker access number, for Voxalot, is *010
    so others will easily be able to call you via Sipbroker - something
    they can't do if you are on Sipgate.

    ---

    Brian A, Aug 17, 2008
  8. In article <>,
    Brian A <> wrote:

    >Now my rant about the Fritzbox - I hope AVM read this.
    > I positively HATE the Fritzbox dial rules system, it isn't a patch on
    >the Linksys. In an effort to make it simple they make the dialling
    >experience hell. IMHO a good dialling experience is one that is
    >indistinguishable from standard PSTN (or easier). The Fritzbox is a
    >mega failure in this respect. What the designers were thinking I don't
    >know. The 'Quick dials' are anything but. I mean, a typical 'Quick
    >dial' is **701# - SIX DIGITS, how is that a 'quickdial'? If they had
    >a check box with a complete 'opt out' from their stupid system it
    >would be better. Having to dial a # after every number is ridiculous
    >also.

    I'd second this. After reading about them, I bought one for a client
    who was moving into an office where they were going to sell him an
    extortionate phone connection, but the wired 'broadband' via Ethernet was
    reasonable... So got one of the ones with broadband router capabilities
    (now discontinued I think) (The Client had a nice anlogue DECT phone
    which they wanted to keep, hence the need fo an "ATA")

    It actually worked very well... Until I tried to dial some of the "star
    codes" that my PBX supports and failed miserably. Email to them suggested
    I had to dial *121#*# before it would then pass other codes from the phone
    through to my (remote) VoIP server. After that, I vowed never to touch
    them again. Stinking piles of inflexable poo as far as I'm concerned.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 17, 2008