Re: Sipgate - SOS Calls

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Peter Andrews, Sep 20, 2008.

  1. "Pigeon" <> wrote in message
    > Just logged into a Sipgate account that I don't use that much to check my
    > balance and noticed an "Emergency" tab which asked for my address details
    > presumably to validate for 112/999 calls.
    >
    > The reason for posting was that I didn't realise that Sipgate had enabled
    > this service, they have kept it awfully quiet! so presumably no other
    > users
    > know.
    >
    > BTW: How do they know where you are actualy fiscally located on VOIP at
    > the
    > time of the call? Just windered.
    >
    > Oh and on the page I filled in it said "Do not make any test calls to "see
    > if it works"! ", never known that before.

    Quite apart from not clogging the 999 system with test calls, the issue may
    be the cost to the service provider. Although I haven't looked at the costs
    for some years the wholesale price used to be, IIRC, about £3 per call into
    the emergency system.

    Peter

    Peter Andrews, Sep 20, 2008

  2. Peter Andrews

    Q Guest

    "Peter Andrews" <> wrote in message

    >> BTW: How do they know where you are actualy fiscally located on VOIP at
    >> the
    >> time of the call? Just windered.

    You don't - this is half the problem. To be fair - no different to National
    Rail, LUL, Heathrow Airport and a hand full of others.

    If we have an inbound call from NR they all come up as Waterloo (As thats
    where the main node is) even if they are calling from Peterborough. We rely
    on the operators getting 'usefull' location details from the caller.

    >> Oh and on the page I filled in it said "Do not make any test calls to
    >> "see
    >> if it works"! ", never known that before.

    We make and recieve test calls and have never had a problem in people doing
    so provided there not taking the p*ss. When we used to do lots of installs
    of PBX's it was a handover requirment to test emergency access and handoff.
    Just call up the operator expain that its a test call and give them your
    CLI.

    > Quite apart from not clogging the 999 system with test calls, the issue
    > may be the cost to the service provider. Although I haven't looked at the
    > costs for some years the wholesale price used to be, IIRC, about £3 per
    > call into the emergency system.

    Not sure about the hand off costs for emergency operators, I will enquire in
    the coming weeks and see what I can find.

    Other problems with this will include;
    Mungled CLI
    International CLI being propagated into the UK emergency system
    No CLI at all

    Q, Sep 28, 2008