Re: Sipgate - SOS Calls

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Sep 19, 2008.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Pigeon" <> wrote in message
    > Just logged into a Sipgate account that I don't use that much to check my
    > balance and noticed an "Emergency" tab which asked for my address details
    > presumably to validate for 112/999 calls.
    >
    > The reason for posting was that I didn't realise that Sipgate had enabled
    > this service, they have kept it awfully quiet! so presumably no other
    > users
    > know.
    >
    > BTW: How do they know where you are actualy fiscally located on VOIP at
    > the
    > time of the call? Just windered.
    >
    > Oh and on the page I filled in it said "Do not make any test calls to "see
    > if it works"! ", never known that before.

    Yes I see now, not on the tabs on the main account page,
    you have to click settings first. It says "inactive"
    It's possibly something that has been imposed on them by
    German law but how they are going to implement it for international
    customers that might not be in the country of registration when
    they call 112 (if that's what it's going to be) I don't know.

    Oh, and look, there's a field for the letters after your name FFS,
    is that a Teutonic thing?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Sep 19, 2008

  2. Graham. <> wrote:
    > It's possibly something that has been imposed on them by
    > German law but how they are going to implement it for international
    > customers that might not be in the country of registration when
    > they call 112 (if that's what it's going to be) I don't know.

    And presumably it's not going to work in some countries. It's perfectly
    possible to register at sipgate.co.uk if you live in Iraq or Afghanistan,
    for example.

    > Oh, and look, there's a field for the letters after your name FFS,
    > is that a Teutonic thing?

    Need to differentiate between George Bush I and George Bush II perhaps?

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Sep 20, 2008

  3. Graham.

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On 20 Sep 2008 01:07:44 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >Graham. <> wrote:
    >> It's possibly something that has been imposed on them by
    >> German law but how they are going to implement it for international
    >> customers that might not be in the country of registration when
    >> they call 112 (if that's what it's going to be) I don't know.

    >And presumably it's not going to work in some countries. It's perfectly
    >possible to register at sipgate.co.uk if you live in Iraq or Afghanistan,
    >for example.

    They say "Sipgate will verify and validate your emergency address."

    I live in the Philippines. I wonder how they're going to do that for
    me? Perhaps they'll send somebody around to check that I really live
    where I say I do!

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Sep 20, 2008