Re: Sipgate - SOS Calls

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ivor Jones, Sep 19, 2008.

  1. Ivor Jones

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Pigeon <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : Just logged into a Sipgate account that I don't use that much to
    : check my balance and noticed an "Emergency" tab which asked for my
    : address details presumably to validate for 112/999 calls.
    :
    : The reason for posting was that I didn't realise that Sipgate had
    : enabled this service, they have kept it awfully quiet! so presumably
    : no other users know.

    I was going to post about it but was waiting for it to be activated on my
    numbers, so far still waiting.

    : BTW: How do they know where you are actualy fiscally located on VOIP
    : at the time of the call? Just windered.

    Fiscally located..? Where your money is, you mean..? ;-)

    : Oh and on the page I filled in it said "Do not make any test calls to
    : "see if it works"! ", never known that before.

    Making 999 test calls is not really a good idea, is it..?

    I only noticed it the other day as well. As I said I'm still waiting for
    the email to say it's been activated but don't expect to use it much as
    there are other lines available in the event of an emergency and the PABX
    is set to route such calls over a BT line anyway.

    I think they have only enabled it due to legislation but I stand to be
    corrected.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 19, 2008

  2. Ivor Jones

    Graham. Guest

    > Making 999 test calls is not really a good idea, is it..?
    >
    > I only noticed it the other day as well. As I said I'm still waiting for
    > the email to say it's been activated but don't expect to use it much as
    > there are other lines available in the event of an emergency and the PABX
    > is set to route such calls over a BT line anyway.
    >
    > I think they have only enabled it due to legislation but I stand to be
    > corrected.

    I think you are right. Looks to me if you haven't got a German
    address they will just listen as you choke to death!
    http://snipurl.com/3rxdb [www_heise_de]

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Sep 19, 2008

  3. In article <>,
    Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >In news:,
    >Pigeon <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    >: Just logged into a Sipgate account that I don't use that much to
    >: check my balance and noticed an "Emergency" tab which asked for my
    >: address details presumably to validate for 112/999 calls.
    >:
    >: The reason for posting was that I didn't realise that Sipgate had
    >: enabled this service, they have kept it awfully quiet! so presumably
    >: no other users know.
    >
    >I was going to post about it but was waiting for it to be activated on my
    >numbers, so far still waiting.
    >
    >: BTW: How do they know where you are actualy fiscally located on VOIP
    >: at the time of the call? Just windered.
    >
    >Fiscally located..? Where your money is, you mean..? ;-)
    >
    >: Oh and on the page I filled in it said "Do not make any test calls to
    >: "see if it works"! ", never known that before.
    >
    >Making 999 test calls is not really a good idea, is it..?
    >
    >I only noticed it the other day as well. As I said I'm still waiting for
    >the email to say it's been activated but don't expect to use it much as
    >there are other lines available in the event of an emergency and the PABX
    >is set to route such calls over a BT line anyway.
    >
    >I think they have only enabled it due to legislation but I stand to be
    >corrected.

    As of September the 8th, all the ITSPs were obliged to offer 999/112
    calls, so they all need to know the "installation address" of each number
    if you want the system to work.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Sep 19, 2008