Re: sipgate and bt talk phone

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gordon Henderson, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. In article <>,
    bt <> wrote:
    >Hello
    >
    >Can anyone help.
    >
    >I'm looking for a phone that i can use with 2 sipgate numbers and also bt
    >talk.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a handset please, someone suggested a grandsteam

    If you can use BT talk with a standard SIP device, then you need a SIP
    device with at least 3 accounts - and a Grandstream GXP2000 does fit the
    bill. As does a Snom 320 but you might not like the price of that.

    If you want to do wireless, one of the Siemens or Snom DECT range will
    work too. (But the Snom is a PITA to switch outbound accounts on with a
    single handset, and GymRatz Pete might have views on the Siemens units ;-)

    An alternative would be a small PBX appliance device which itself can
    register to the external SIP accounts, then have a handset on the inside
    and program in some codes to select the outgoing channel - probably
    a complete overkill for your application though!

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Nov 7, 2008

  2. Gordon Henderson

    Chris Davies Guest

    Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    > An alternative would be a small PBX appliance device which itself can
    > register to the external SIP accounts, then have a handset on the inside
    > and program in some codes to select the outgoing channel - probably
    > a complete overkill for your application though!

    My Sipura 3102 does something like this for me very nicely.
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Nov 7, 2008

  3. In article <>,
    Chris Davies <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    >> An alternative would be a small PBX appliance device which itself can
    >> register to the external SIP accounts, then have a handset on the inside
    >> and program in some codes to select the outgoing channel - probably
    >> a complete overkill for your application though!

    >My Sipura 3102 does something like this for me very nicely.

    Doesn't that only support 2 SIP sessions? The OP wanted 3...

    But there is becoming a bit of a blurred distinction between small
    appliances and PBXs though - Ftitz/AVM 7050 for example..

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Nov 7, 2008
  4. Gordon Henderson

    Chris Davies Guest

    Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Chris Davies <> wrote:
    >>Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    >>> An alternative would be a small PBX appliance device which itself can
    >>> register to the external SIP accounts, then have a handset on the inside
    >>> and program in some codes to select the outgoing channel - probably
    >>> a complete overkill for your application though!

    >>My Sipura 3102 does something like this for me very nicely.

    > Doesn't that only support 2 SIP sessions? The OP wanted 3...

    It can handle one inbound and four outbound. However, re-reading the
    original request it looks like they may have wanted two inbound (it
    wasn't explicitly stated), so I guess the 3102 doesn't quite hack it.

    Mind you, it's possible to forward Sipgate numbers to other Sipgate
    numbers FOC, so if the OP isn't fussed knowing on which Sipgate number
    a call was originally presented, then it could all work quite nicely:

    Sipgate 1 --> Sipgate 2
    Sipgate 2 --> Sipura 3102 (registered to Sipgate 2)
    BT POTS --> Sipura 3102

    Sipura 3102 --> SMSListo (or Sipgate) with Sipgate 2 CLI
    Sipura 3102 --> SMSListo with Sipgate 1 CLI
    Sipura 3102 --> SMSListo with BT POTS CLI
    Sipura 3102 --> BT POTS

    I use a "**N" prefix, for various single digit values of N, to force
    my Sipura to dial SMSListo with an appropriate CLI ("username") so I
    can present Home, WFH, Office, or Mobile numbers. Or to make a call via
    BT POTS.

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Nov 7, 2008
  5. Gordon Henderson

    Chris Davies Guest

    bt <> wrote:
    > Line 1 0151 123 1234 BT Talk
    > Line 2 0151 246 2468 Sipgate number
    > Line 3 0151 000 0000 sipgate number

    > I would be able to recive calls on any of the numbers and dial out on
    > either as well.

    (a) Do you need to know from which of your two Sipgate numbers a call
    has been placed?

    (b) Do you need to use Sipgate to dial out, or would you happy to use
    a Betamax clone (e.g. SMSListo)? Note that the Betamax clones /can/
    present your Sipgate numbers as CLI so to the recipient there would be
    no difference

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Nov 7, 2008
  6. In article <>,
    bt <> wrote:
    >Hello
    >
    >Firstly thank you very much for your help.
    >
    >Sorry if i was not clear in what i want to try and do which is:
    >
    >Have a handset with 2 sepertae sipgate numbers and also a bt talk number
    >programmed into it.
    >So for example:
    >
    >Line 1 0151 123 1234 BT Talk
    >Line 2 0151 246 2468 Sipgate number
    >Line 3 0151 000 0000 sipgate number
    >
    >i would be able to recive calls on any of the numbers and dial out on either
    >as well.
    >
    >You have guessed i am not very good at comms so any help is apreciated and
    >also need it simple.
    >
    >Again thanks in adavance.

    If you can get the SIP credentials (proxy/server, login & password) out
    of the BT system, then the easiest way forward would be to get a
    Grandstream GXP2000 and program up 3 separate accounts.

    Other solutions will work, but I have to say, they're such a faff! I'm a
    geek and even I wouldn't make the effort to do forwarding, use voxalot,
    etc. Lifes too short. Just get a phone that can handle it and off you
    go.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 8, 2008
  7. Gordon Henderson

    Chris Davies Guest

    Jono <> wrote:
    > I've found that, although the correct CLI is presented by Betamax, BT
    > often treat it as International and discard it.

    I've never found that. Yet.
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Nov 8, 2008