Re: Simple flash card question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lee Lindquist, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:23:13 +0800, "Click" <>
    wrote:

    >Just a simple question from a newbie who has yet to purchase digital camera.
    >Can you move a partially used filled from one camera to another? In other
    >words if you have more than one flash card can you put some pictures on one
    >& some on the other card?

    In general, you can. There is a standard that the camera
    manufacturers use for the directory structure on
    the card.

    Of course, it's always possible that someone somewhere
    doesn't follow the standard....

    One thing to watch out for -- particularly if the two cameras are from
    the same manufacturer -- the file number from one camera may be
    used by the second camera.

    For instance, one camera has taken 100 pictures, and the next one
    will be something like DSCN100.jpg

    The second camera has take 500 pictures, and the next one will
    be something like DSCN501.jpg.

    If you put a card with the DSCN500.jpg in the 100 picture camera,
    it's next frame will be DSCN501.jpg, and it will keep it's bump its
    internal counter to that value.

    I did this with a Powershot S20 and S40.

    --
    - Lee

    Lee Lindquist, Jul 11, 2003