Re: SilverFast and Epson V700

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nick Fotis, Dec 8, 2012.

  1. Nick Fotis

    Nick Fotis Guest

    On 08/12/2012 22:21, Michael D. Berger wrote:
    > I bought an Epson V700 Photo flatbed scanner, and with it came a
    > SilverFast SE disk. How does this compare with other photo editing
    > software? I mostly use Nikon CaptureNX2 and sometimes PhotoShop CS3.
    > Should I bother to install SilverSharp SE?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    > Mike.

    Personally, I use EpsonSCAN.
    I find it more than adequate, with enough controls (in the 'show full
    controls' case) and easy enough to use. It *may* get confused when
    scanning film strips, so there is an option to not crop automatically
    (I use this one when I am scanning 6x17 panoramic medium format as well
    on my V500 - the metal frame and anti-Newton glass from
    www.betterscanning.com permits these large shots as well).

    I feel that you will need the additional capabilities of SilverFast in
    rare cases, but probably it will not be worth the different user interface.

    Try both and tell us your experiences.
    Note that it will take some days of experimentation before you feel
    proficient enough with the scanner+software combination.

    Oh, and congratulations for your acquisition. What kind of material do
    you expect to scan? Slide film? black&white film? Printed photos?
    (this was something we forgot to ask you in your initial question)

    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, Dec 8, 2012