Re: SiI sataraid 3512 PCI card driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Jan 11, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Toby wrote:
    > Hi. I hope someone can shed some light.
    >
    > I had the above PCI raid card installed and working in an old HP xw8000
    > workstation to create a Raid 1 set. I had a huge problem with my Win XP Pro
    > install and took apart the Raid, kept one HDD for the data, reformatted and
    > clean reinstalled everything on the other. So far so good. Now I want to
    > recreate a Raid 1 set with the two disks, and that is where the trouble
    > begins.
    >
    > The problem is that if I recreate the mirrored Raid with the two drives, I
    > can't boot. After the Raid card bios comes up (where normally Windows starts
    > to boot up with the splash screen), the computer spontaneously reboots. I
    > did manage to copy from the source to the target drive using just the card,
    > and the computer will boot from either drive, but not both as a Raid 1. The
    > card bios sees both drives, reports both as current, says the set is OK, and
    > after that reboots.
    >
    > I've tried and tried again reinstalling the driver. Device Manager reports
    > everything is hunky-dory, but it certainly seems to be a driver problem.
    >
    > There are only two things that I can see that have changed. First, I updated
    > to SP3 before trying to set up the Raid. The last installation was also
    > updated to SP3, but the card was originally configured with SP2. I can't see
    > how this would make a difference, however.
    >
    > Windows Update found me a newer driver and I installed that as well before
    > trying to recreate the Raid. I now have a Sataraid Controller icon in
    > Control Panel which I never had before....hmmmm...
    >
    > Another thing that I don't like is the reinstall. If I remove the driver and
    > reboot, Windows automatically reinstalls the driver without asking me. I am
    > then relegated to "updating" the driver on the tab in Device Manager. What
    > do you think, should I go into System32 and trash the present driver and try
    > again to uninstall/reinstall?
    >
    > BTW I have two identical PCI cards, and swapped them just in case it was a
    > hardware fault. Same same with both.
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions or ideas they would be most welcome, as I
    > can't think of what else to do.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Toby

    To start, if you went to the Control Panel
    System:Advanced:Startup_And_Recovery, there
    is a tick box there that says "Automatic Restart" and you want to
    remove the tick from that box. That will result in a BSOD staying
    on the screen, so you can copy the message.

    The most likely thing you'll see, is something like "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

    http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

    I've had a little fun on my new system, and haven't gone back to
    my old system to verify, but there is some kind of crazy naming
    convention going on, which appears totally unnecessary. On
    my computer, when you change the boot volume preference in the
    BIOS, it changes the hardware names for the drives. This causes
    GRUB to fail for Linux, such that I have to "guess" at the
    drive name while in the GRUB editor, until I eventually
    figure out the name. Since none of my Windows partitions
    will boot from that menu (by GRUB jumping to them), eventually
    I get my Debian install to boot. Debian didn't get GRUB installed
    on the disk partition, due to the installer wiping the MBR
    on the wrong disk (grrr...).

    On my GRUB floppy right now, the key line is

    root (hd0,0)

    and the drive could end up being hd1 or hd2, depending
    on which hard drive is assigned as the "first drive" in
    the BIOS. As far as I'm concerned, this is silly, having
    the BIOS changing the names in a less than predictable
    fashion.

    In addition to vanilla drives being HDx, if I had a
    controller which was actual SCSI, the drive might have
    a name like SDx. And that may apply to a RAID device
    (RAID is treated like pseudo-SCSI, so the naming
    is different).

    Now, if I go back and look at Windows, execute "msconfig"
    from the command prompt, then look at "boot.ini", I see
    a line like this.

    ... multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

    and like GRUB, this has something to do with identifying
    the boot partition. The naming convention likely
    changes between a RAID controller card running in
    non-RAID and in RAID mode. I expect your problem
    has something to do with that, but don't ask me
    what single step is going to fix it. I have
    enough trouble getting even a set of non-RAID
    devices to boot in a predictable fashion on
    my new motherboard.

    And now that I look at that line in my boot.ini,
    that isn't right and is a danger sign. It should
    say partition(0), because WinXP is physically
    on partition 0. Partition 1 is a data partition.
    If I ever decided to delete Partition 1 right
    now, I bet what would happen is I'd get an
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE for my trouble.
    (The two partitions were present during install,
    and it appears to have glommed onto the wrong one.)

    Your fix could have something to do with C:\boot.ini .

    There is a suggestion here, involving your Windows CD.

    http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recovery/troubleshoot_bootini_corruption.htm

    I would still be careful with that bootcfg utility. On
    my machine, it would likely detect my WinXP and my
    Win2000 drives, and throw both of them into the boot.ini,
    which is not what I want. If I was going to repair
    my problem, I'd want only my WinXP stuff to be
    visible to the utility.

    What I've tried to do in the past, is place one OS per
    drive, and make all drives independent of all other
    drives. Then, I can unplug the ones I'm not using
    or whatever. I steer the boot via the BIOS. But it looks
    like virtually every tool conspires against that.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 11, 2009