Re: Siemens Gigaset S685IP VOIP phone problems

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Ian Pawson, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. Ian Pawson

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Lobster wrote:
    > This is a followup to my previous thread "Reccommended DECT / VOIP
    > phone?" which has drifted a bit (since I acted upon reccomendations
    > received and bought the above system!)
    >
    > I've been struggling a bit to get it all set up but am getting there
    > slowly. For the past couple of days I've been trying to transfer all my
    > PC Outlook contacts over via Bluetooth (another story in itself!), using
    > the downloadable "Quicksync" utility
    > (see
    > <http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_154203_rArNrNrNrN,00.html>)
    >
    > All I want to do is transfer contacts *from* the PC *to* the handset,
    > but it seems to synch in both directions; also I've got issues with
    > dialling codes. The result is that I've ended up with duplicated
    > (incorrect) Outlook entries, and incorrect entries on the handset.
    >
    > So, as an example, under Outlook I'd originally have a contact with the
    > following fields:
    >
    > Last name = Smith
    > First name = John
    > Home phone = 0114 255 xxxx
    >
    > note - the exact Outlook field names may be wrong)
    >
    > Having pratted around a bit (a lot!) I've ended up with the following on
    > my handset:
    >
    > Surname = Smith
    > First name = John
    > Home phone = 44114255xxxx (no "+" or "00")
    >
    > and also the following extra entry on Outlook!:
    > Last name = Smith
    > First name = John
    > Home phone = +44 1625441142550xxx
    > (where 01625 is my own dialling code)
    >
    > So...
    > How do I make the handset set the "+" or "00"?
    > How do I prevent the handset from filling my Outlook setup with rubbish
    > (I don't even want it to import anything into Outlook anyway, correct or
    > not!)
    >
    > Thanks
    > David

    Well, the 475IP directory file is in a standard vcard format. I just
    exported from Thunderbird to vcard and imported into the phone

    Ian Pawson, Aug 21, 2008

  2. Ian Pawson

    Lobster Guest

    Me wrote:
    >> Well, the 475IP directory file is in a standard vcard format. I just
    >> exported from Thunderbird to vcard and imported into the phone

    > I did similar with the 685's
    >
    > Furthermore, as VCF files are just text files, you can add, edit or
    > delete any entries, before loading onto the phones. You have to import
    > the VCF file via the web interface - not Bluetooth.

    Thanks, I looked at that, but doesn't that mean that every entry has to
    be exported/imported separately (I must have >100 contacts in Outlook)?
    Or am I missing something? If needs must, but doing it all at once
    sounds better!)

    David

    Lobster, Aug 21, 2008

  3. Ian Pawson

    PAJ Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:08:08 +0100, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    >Me wrote:
    >>> Well, the 475IP directory file is in a standard vcard format. I just
    >>> exported from Thunderbird to vcard and imported into the phone

    >> I did similar with the 685's
    >>
    >> Furthermore, as VCF files are just text files, you can add, edit or
    >> delete any entries, before loading onto the phones. You have to import
    >> the VCF file via the web interface - not Bluetooth.

    >Thanks, I looked at that, but doesn't that mean that every entry has to
    >be exported/imported separately

    No. Export an existing directory if you want to examine the format. Open
    the vcf file in notepad (or similar).

    PAJ, Aug 21, 2008
  4. Ian Pawson

    Lobster Guest

    PAJ wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:08:08 +0100, Lobster
    > <> wrote:

    >>> I did similar with the 685's
    >>>
    >>> Furthermore, as VCF files are just text files, you can add, edit or
    >>> delete any entries, before loading onto the phones. You have to import
    >>> the VCF file via the web interface - not Bluetooth.

    >> Thanks, I looked at that, but doesn't that mean that every entry has to
    >> be exported/imported separately

    > No. Export an existing directory if you want to examine the format. Open
    > the vcf file in notepad (or similar).

    But how do I get a (multi-entry) vcf file out of Outlook? All the
    export options are items like csv, excel, .pst etc... the only way I can
    see of exporting a vcf file is to open the contact John Smith and export
    that record as "john smith.vcf"?

    David

    Lobster, Aug 21, 2008
  5. Ian Pawson

    PAJ Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:01:24 +0100, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    >But how do I get a (multi-entry) vcf file out of Outlook? All the
    >export options are items like csv, excel, .pst etc... the only way I can
    >see of exporting a vcf file is to open the contact John Smith and export
    >that record as "john smith.vcf"?

    Sorry, you are correct. Outlook does only allow one contact per file.
    The easiest/cheapest way to do this would be to select all the contacts
    you wish to export and use the 'Save As' function in Outlook to save as
    a text file. Then convert it to a vcf by manually editing it.
    Maybe you could find a script to do this for free.

    Otherwise save as a pst, txt or csv file and use a convertor program to
    convert to a vcf file.

    This web link works for csv (Comma Separated Values - Windows) or txt
    (Tab Separated Values - Windows) to vcf conversions:
    http://homepage.mac.com/phrogz/CSV2vCard_v2.html

    The finished file *may* still need some editing.

    PAJ, Aug 22, 2008
  6. Ian Pawson

    Lobster Guest

    PAJ wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:01:24 +0100, Lobster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> But how do I get a (multi-entry) vcf file out of Outlook? All the
    >> export options are items like csv, excel, .pst etc... the only way I can
    >> see of exporting a vcf file is to open the contact John Smith and export
    >> that record as "john smith.vcf"?

    > Sorry, you are correct. Outlook does only allow one contact per file.
    > The easiest/cheapest way to do this would be to select all the contacts
    > you wish to export and use the 'Save As' function in Outlook to save as
    > a text file. Then convert it to a vcf by manually editing it.
    > Maybe you could find a script to do this for free.
    >
    > Otherwise save as a pst, txt or csv file and use a convertor program to
    > convert to a vcf file.
    >
    > This web link works for csv (Comma Separated Values - Windows) or txt
    > (Tab Separated Values - Windows) to vcf conversions:
    > http://homepage.mac.com/phrogz/CSV2vCard_v2.html
    >
    > The finished file *may* still need some editing.

    Thanks for that. This look like my best solution, as I think much of
    the problem with the conversion is down to the fact that the phone
    numbers in my Outlook file are a horrible mess - eg Outlook tries to add
    international dialling codes incorrectly, so I have numbers in there
    like "+44(01302)123456" (ie incorrect zero) which probably confuses
    things. If I can create an interim text file I can then
    search-and-replace all the nasties manually.

    One more thing though (for now!): how does the format of a multi-entry
    vcard work? This is a single-entry vcard exported by Outlook:

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    N:Smith;John
    FN:John Smith
    TEL;HOME;VOICE:01234 123456
    TEL;CELL;VOICE:07654 765432
    REV:20080822T111611Z
    END:VCARD

    ....so would you just concatenate further entries, within the VERSION and
    REV lines? as in:

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    N:Smith;John
    FN:John Smith
    TEL;HOME;VOICE:01234 123456
    TEL;CELL;VOICE:07654 765432
    N:Smith;Joe
    FN:Joe Smith
    TEL;HOME;VOICE:01234 123457
    TEL;CELL;VOICE:07654 765431
    REV:20080822T111611Z
    END:VCARD

    Seems an odd format of file... can't work out how the delimiters work?

    Maybe time to x-post to an outlook ng?!

    Thanks
    David

    Lobster, Aug 22, 2008
  7. Ian Pawson

    PAJ Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:22:21 +0100, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    >One more thing though (for now!): how does the format of a multi-entry
    >vcard work? This is a single-entry vcard exported by Outlook:
    >
    >BEGIN:VCARD
    >VERSION:2.1
    >N:Smith;John
    >FN:John Smith
    >TEL;HOME;VOICE:01234 123456
    >TEL;CELL;VOICE:07654 765432
    >REV:20080822T111611Z
    >END:VCARD
    >
    >...so would you just concatenate further entries, within the VERSION and
    >REV lines? as in:
    >
    >BEGIN:VCARD
    >VERSION:2.1
    >N:Smith;John
    >FN:John Smith
    >TEL;HOME;VOICE:01234 123456
    >TEL;CELL;VOICE:07654 765432
    >N:Smith;Joe
    >FN:Joe Smith
    >TEL;HOME;VOICE:01234 123457
    >TEL;CELL;VOICE:07654 765431
    >REV:20080822T111611Z
    >END:VCARD

    Yes. This is part of an output from my Siemens IP phone:

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    FN:Doctors
    N:Doctors
    TEL;HOME:0123456789
    END:VCARD

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    FN:Vets
    N:Vets
    TEL;HOME:0123456789
    END:VCARD

    PAJ, Aug 22, 2008
  8. Ian Pawson

    PAJ Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:41:00 +0100, PAJ <> wrote:

    >Yes. This is part of an output from my Siemens IP phone:
    >
    >BEGIN:VCARD
    >VERSION:2.1
    >FN:Doctors
    >N:Doctors
    >TEL;HOME:0123456789
    >END:VCARD
    >
    >BEGIN:VCARD
    >VERSION:2.1
    >FN:Vets
    >N:Vets
    >TEL;HOME:0123456789
    >END:VCARD

    Also I do not think you can have multiple phone numbers for each user.
    I have entered each number as individual entries. So it looks like this:

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    FN:Joe (Mobi)
    N:Joe (Mobi)
    TEL;HOME:07123456789
    END:VCARD

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    FN:Joe (Sipgate)
    N:Joe (Sipgate)
    TEL;HOME:3123456
    END:VCARD

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    FN:Joe (Work)
    N:Joe (Work)
    TEL;HOME:0123456789
    END:VCARD

    PAJ, Aug 22, 2008
  9. Ian Pawson

    Lobster Guest

    PAJ wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:41:00 +0100, PAJ <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. This is part of an output from my Siemens IP phone:
    >>
    >> BEGIN:VCARD
    >> VERSION:2.1
    >> FN:Doctors
    >> N:Doctors
    >> TEL;HOME:0123456789
    >> END:VCARD
    >>
    >> BEGIN:VCARD
    >> VERSION:2.1
    >> FN:Vets
    >> N:Vets
    >> TEL;HOME:0123456789
    >> END:VCARD

    > Also I do not think you can have multiple phone numbers for each user.
    > I have entered each number as individual entries. So it looks like this:

    Thanks for that - now time for me to spend some time playing!

    AFAICS from my experiments you can have multiple phone numbers for the
    same user; the only problem being that it may screw up the CLID, as in
    if you have two separate records for your mates John and Jane Smith (ie,
    each containing their mobile numbers and their landline number), then if
    either of them phone from home the handset will just display the name on
    first record it comes across containing that number. So I'll probably
    end up putting their landline in a separate record, under "Smith, John
    and Jane".

    Have to say I'm a bit pissed off with all the aggravation this is
    causing - I was sold this top-of-the-range phone mainly on the basis of
    the sales literature claiming "quick and easy" transfer of contacts via
    bluetooth - that's anything but true.

    David

    Lobster, Aug 22, 2008
  10. Ian Pawson

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Lobster wrote:
    > PAJ wrote:
    >> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:41:00 +0100, PAJ <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes. This is part of an output from my Siemens IP phone:
    >>>
    >>> BEGIN:VCARD
    >>> VERSION:2.1
    >>> FN:Doctors
    >>> N:Doctors
    >>> TEL;HOME:0123456789
    >>> END:VCARD
    >>>
    >>> BEGIN:VCARD
    >>> VERSION:2.1
    >>> FN:Vets
    >>> N:Vets
    >>> TEL;HOME:0123456789
    >>> END:VCARD

    >> Also I do not think you can have multiple phone numbers for each user.
    >> I have entered each number as individual entries. So it looks like this:

    > Thanks for that - now time for me to spend some time playing!
    >
    > AFAICS from my experiments you can have multiple phone numbers for the
    > same user; the only problem being that it may screw up the CLID, as in
    > if you have two separate records for your mates John and Jane Smith (ie,
    > each containing their mobile numbers and their landline number), then if
    > either of them phone from home the handset will just display the name on
    > first record it comes across containing that number. So I'll probably
    > end up putting their landline in a separate record, under "Smith, John
    > and Jane".
    >
    > Have to say I'm a bit pissed off with all the aggravation this is
    > causing - I was sold this top-of-the-range phone mainly on the basis of
    > the sales literature claiming "quick and easy" transfer of contacts via
    > bluetooth - that's anything but true.
    >
    > David

    The problem is not with the phone, but with crap MS software you are
    using, Thunderbird exported all my address book to a single vcard file.

    Ian Pawson, Aug 22, 2008
  11. Ian Pawson

    PAJ Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:15:57 +0100, Me <> wrote:

    >Actually, you CAN have multiple phone numbers for each user.
    >
    >Here is an example
    >
    >BEGIN:VCARD
    >VERSION:2.1
    >N:Bloggs;Fred
    >TEL;HOME:0123456789
    >TEL;CELL:07123456789
    >END:VCARD

    Maybe it is a constraint of the C475IP/C47H as when I tried this I got
    the same user created multiple times. Each with a unique number.
    When I then export it back to a file I get a separate entry for each
    'number' and the number type is always TEL;HOME:
    E.G.

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    N:Bloggs;Fred
    TEL;HOME:0123456789
    END:VCARD

    BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    N:Bloggs;Fred
    TEL;HOME:07123456789
    END:VCARD

    PAJ, Aug 22, 2008
  12. Ian Pawson

    Lobster Guest

    PAJ wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:01:24 +0100, Lobster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> But how do I get a (multi-entry) vcf file out of Outlook? All the
    >> export options are items like csv, excel, .pst etc... the only way I can
    >> see of exporting a vcf file is to open the contact John Smith and export
    >> that record as "john smith.vcf"?

    > Sorry, you are correct. Outlook does only allow one contact per file.
    > The easiest/cheapest way to do this would be to select all the contacts
    > you wish to export and use the 'Save As' function in Outlook to save as
    > a text file. Then convert it to a vcf by manually editing it.
    > Maybe you could find a script to do this for free.
    >
    > Otherwise save as a pst, txt or csv file and use a convertor program to
    > convert to a vcf file.
    >
    > This web link works for csv (Comma Separated Values - Windows) or txt
    > (Tab Separated Values - Windows) to vcf conversions:
    > http://homepage.mac.com/phrogz/CSV2vCard_v2.html
    >
    > The finished file *may* still need some editing.

    Well that worked brilliantly: in the end I exported my Outlook Contacts
    into Excel, did all the editing I needed to in there, then exported to
    CSV, and ran it through the above link to create a vcf, which then
    imported seamlessly to the handset via Bluetooth. So thanks a lot for that.

    Next up - I know this is a bit unnecessary but am wanting to import
    photos of contacts which are then fired up by the CLID. From what I can
    tell (although the instructions don't say) the memory available for this
    must be tiny. I transferred a single 20K jpeg over and it apparently
    filled the memory - does that sound right? I've reduced the file size
    to about 7K each, and deleted all the default pictures, but that's still
    going to allow no more than a handful of pictures - is this right? What
    size of files are reccommended?

    Secondly - how do you assign speed-dials to numbers in the memory? Have
    followed the instructions to no avail - they don't make sense at all.

    Thanks
    David

    Lobster, Aug 23, 2008
  13. Ian Pawson

    PAJ Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:11:18 +0100, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    >PAJ wrote:
    >> This web link works for csv (Comma Separated Values - Windows) or txt
    >> (Tab Separated Values - Windows) to vcf conversions:
    >> http://homepage.mac.com/phrogz/CSV2vCard_v2.html
    >>
    >> The finished file *may* still need some editing.

    >Well that worked brilliantly: in the end I exported my Outlook Contacts
    >into Excel, did all the editing I needed to in there, then exported to
    >CSV, and ran it through the above link to create a vcf, which then
    >imported seamlessly to the handset via Bluetooth. So thanks a lot for that.

    Cool. Pleased to hear that.

    >Next up - I know this is a bit unnecessary but am wanting to import
    >photos of contacts which are then fired up by the CLID. From what I can
    >tell (although the instructions don't say) the memory available for this
    >must be tiny. I transferred a single 20K jpeg over and it apparently
    >filled the memory - does that sound right? I've reduced the file size
    >to about 7K each, and deleted all the default pictures, but that's still
    >going to allow no more than a handful of pictures - is this right? What
    >size of files are reccommended?

    Sorry, I only have the older model phone (C47H) and cannot assign images
    to contacts.

    >Secondly - how do you assign speed-dials to numbers in the memory? Have
    >followed the instructions to no avail - they don't make sense at all.

    Again it is likely different for the C47H. I just open a contact and
    select 'Edit'. Scroll down to speed dial and then select which number to
    use as the speed-dial and then hit save.

    Maybe I should get a S68H. The features seem to be worth it (multiple
    numbers and images for contacts).

    PAJ, Aug 23, 2008
  14. Ian Pawson

    Lobster Guest

    Me wrote:
    >> Secondly - how do you assign speed-dials to numbers in the memory? Have
    >> followed the instructions to no avail - they don't make sense at all.

    > Hold down the speed dial number you want, if no number is assigned then
    > the menu shows Quick Dial. Press OK and it then shows you your address
    > book, select the contact you want and press OK. It's that simple!

    Gottit, thanks a lot (again!). I've just looked at the manual again,
    and still can't extract the above information from what's printed there...

    Been playing with contact photos a bit. Realised that the handset
    converts my jpegs to bmps on the fly, which will increase the filesize.
    So have been shrinking them down using Photoshop first... for
    starters, changing from 24-bit to 16-bit reduces size with no
    discernable effect on quality (for an image this size), and setting them
    to 80 pixels high rather than the suggested 100/120 helps too, so my
    filesizes are dramatically reduced now (about 10Kb per bitmap) which
    should be a lot smaller than a 7Kb jpeg converted by the handset to bmp.

    Still think the available memory is pretty poor for an expensive handset
    - they could at least made provision for a mini-SD memory card.

    Now, what about uploading ringtones? Manual says it uses midi files,
    but both the ones I've tried to upload have generated "File is not
    supported by this handset." ???

    David

    Lobster, Aug 24, 2008
  15. Ian Pawson

    TheFug Guest

    Lobster schreef:
    > Me wrote:
    >>> Secondly - how do you assign speed-dials to numbers in the memory?
    >>> Have followed the instructions to no avail - they don't make sense at
    >>> all.

    >> Hold down the speed dial number you want, if no number is assigned then
    >> the menu shows Quick Dial. Press OK and it then shows you your address
    >> book, select the contact you want and press OK. It's that simple!

    > Gottit, thanks a lot (again!). I've just looked at the manual again,
    > and still can't extract the above information from what's printed there...
    >
    > Been playing with contact photos a bit. Realised that the handset
    > converts my jpegs to bmps on the fly, which will increase the filesize.
    > So have been shrinking them down using Photoshop first... for starters,
    > changing from 24-bit to 16-bit reduces size with no discernable effect
    > on quality (for an image this size), and setting them to 80 pixels high
    > rather than the suggested 100/120 helps too, so my filesizes are
    > dramatically reduced now (about 10Kb per bitmap) which should be a lot
    > smaller than a 7Kb jpeg converted by the handset to bmp.
    >
    > Still think the available memory is pretty poor for an expensive handset
    > - they could at least made provision for a mini-SD memory card.
    >
    > Now, what about uploading ringtones? Manual says it uses midi files,
    > but both the ones I've tried to upload have generated "File is not
    > supported by this handset." ???
    >
    > David

    Bought the 301 D station of Siemens, great thing ! extra service like
    RSS feeds, email check IM via Siemens jabber service, six voip accounts,
    you can set per handset(6), which phone provider is allowed
    voip's/landline, better dialplan options than the c450ip....
    and own router, with NAT,DHCP,DMZ, port forwarding, UPnP.
    has WAN and LAN port.
    also Vcard updates by web interface i guess i buy a nice BlueTooth DECT
    handset and i'm complete..:)

    --
    Bedankt, Thanks,

    The Fug.

    TheFug, Aug 24, 2008
  16. Ian Pawson

    Lobster Guest

    Me wrote:
    >> Still think the available memory is pretty poor for an expensive handset
    >> - they could at least made provision for a mini-SD memory card.
    >>
    >> Now, what about uploading ringtones? Manual says it uses midi files,
    >> but both the ones I've tried to upload have generated "File is not
    >> supported by this handset." ???

    > To be honest, I have never tried uploading a picture or a ringtone.
    >
    > Maybe I should try!

    Or not, if you know what's good for you! ;-)

    (I ended up with 15 fairly low-res bitmaps at 11 Kb each before the
    memory filled, which I don't really understand I have to say, as the
    handset was originally telling me it had several hundred kb free. But
    anyway...)

    So - finally plugged the new toy in and starting to use it!

    Next query... how do I use the phone's SMS facility (preferably free or
    at least cheap) - primarily interested in being able to receive them
    rather than sending them. Have now registered with justvoip as well as
    sipgate; the former offers free texts but I can't see how to do it other
    than via the website, and the service hasn't provided me with an
    incoming phone number(?).

    Also, how do you set up rules to make different calls via different
    services? eg, I want landline->mobile calls to go via the fixed line,
    as that seems to be cheaper than voip; whereas international will always
    go via voip.

    It seems to get more complicated to route landline->domestic landline
    calls: up till now I've been using a call router box (Orchid V+ dialler)
    which directed all my calls; and I get 'free' landline calls evening and
    weekends from Virginmedia as part of a loyalty package deal, so ideally
    I want to make use of that facility. Presumably there's no mechanism
    whereby I can get the Siemens kit to route to VOIP or fixed line
    depending on time of day, is there?!

    Thanks
    David

    Lobster, Aug 25, 2008
  17. Ian Pawson

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:41:06 UTC, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    > So - finally plugged the new toy in and starting to use it!
    >
    > Next query... how do I use the phone's SMS facility (preferably free or
    > at least cheap) - primarily interested in being able to receive them
    > rather than sending them. Have now registered with justvoip as well as
    > sipgate; the former offers free texts but I can't see how to do it other
    > than via the website, and the service hasn't provided me with an
    > incoming phone number(?).
    >
    > Also, how do you set up rules to make different calls via different
    > services? eg, I want landline->mobile calls to go via the fixed line,
    > as that seems to be cheaper than voip; whereas international will always
    > go via voip.
    >
    > It seems to get more complicated to route landline->domestic landline
    > calls: up till now I've been using a call router box (Orchid V+ dialler)
    > which directed all my calls; and I get 'free' landline calls evening and
    > weekends from Virginmedia as part of a loyalty package deal, so ideally
    > I want to make use of that facility. Presumably there's no mechanism
    > whereby I can get the Siemens kit to route to VOIP or fixed line
    > depending on time of day, is there?!

    I have an S450IP so things may be a bit different.

    Dial plans are under Telephony on the web interface, but are a bit
    simple minded in that they are triggered off the start of the number
    dialed. It does however go from most to least specific. ie if you want
    0123* to go via VOIP 1 and 012* to go via VOIP 2 then it will do that
    irrespective of the order you set the rules up in. You may find that
    your Orchid kills incoming CLI on the PSTN line. MIne did and I have
    now removed it. At least on my S450 you cannot route by time of day. I
    have yet to find a VOIP provider who can beat some of the alternate
    PSTN carriers for international. A few months back the cheapest VOIP
    to India was 3.5p - I was getting PSTN for 2p.

    What I have done is take the 0844* numbers my Orchid used to use and
    for frequently called numbers I put the whole string into the phone
    book entry with one P between it and the subscribers number. Then I
    use the "prefix" button (Bottom right on my handsets) to add the
    country numbers, plus the P, I need. If I need to dial a non phone
    book number I select the country from that button - then "options"
    then "Display number" and then add the subscribers number and then
    send. I have a dial plan entry that sends all 0844* numbers via BT.

    <geek mode>
    Something I just though of. If you are into scripting then you *could*
    knock up some scripts to upload different dial plans to all handsets,
    they are stored there not on the base, at different times of the day.
    </geek mode>

    Be aware that speed dial numbers do not survive a phone book
    export/import. Also that for the phone to look up the incoming number
    in the phone book and display a name rather than the number requires
    an *exact* match. For example if your outgoing VOIP requires full
    international format even for UK calls then you will *never* get a
    name come up - as 0044123456789 does not equal 0123456789. :-(

    HTH

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville