Re: Siemans Gigaset S685ip firmware still duff and useless.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by PAJ, Nov 21, 2008.

  1. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:51:46 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >I can confirm the all recent versions of Siemans Gigaset firmware
    >genuine and pre-release are oficially still completely crap.

    Doubtful.

    >The links to pre-release firmware seem to now go to a error 404 page not
    >found.
    >http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Siemens Gigaset S675IP
    >Over the last couple of days I have been plagued with the "call of
    >death" where phones go blank then die and base station locks up.
    >
    >Also voipfone account failing to register whereas all betamax and other
    >accounts are registered no problems.

    Sounds more like voipfone is crap.

    >Don't know what's happened as everything was fine(ish) Now it's all gone
    >tits up back to scrap again.

    voipfone has you mean.

    >Sorry to post but possible purchasers of Siemans Gigaset S865ip with
    >multiple handsets should be very wary about it's hidden unreliabillity.

    Handsets are fine. voipfone is obviously not.

    PAJ, Nov 21, 2008

  2. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 19:35:39 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >PAJ wrote:
    >
    >>> I can confirm the all recent versions of Siemans Gigaset firmware
    >>> genuine and pre-release are oficially still completely crap.

    >> Doubtful.

    >Why?

    Because you are the only one with the issue.

    >> Handsets are fine. voipfone is obviously not.

    >Blimey, your insight is overwhelming.
    >Are you reading from a script in an Indian call centre?

    You have been singing the praises of Gigaset the last few weeks.
    has this stable hardware suddenly just failed again? No!
    Voipfone is the only account failing to register (the same as the other
    times you have had issues).
    The issue is not the Gigaset it is voipfone. Voipfone is the *common
    denominator*.

    PAJ, Nov 21, 2008

  3. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:08:37 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >It seems beyond a coincidence that suddenly after 3 or 4 weeks of
    >virtually fault free operation, within 2 days the system has reverted
    >back to exactly the same symptoms as previously and the links to the
    >unoficial pre-release firmware have also been de-activated.

    Very much a coincidence.
    So you believe the firmware suddenly and inexplicably broke on your
    Gigaset. Siemens also, at nearly the same time, realised the firmware
    breaks after 3-4 weeks so they pulled it.
    Do you understand how stupid your theory is?

    I guess they also used the "backdoor" and changed your firmware version.

    Nope. It is voipfone.
    They are the only ones not working with the Gigaset. That makes it their
    problem to fix.

    PAJ, Nov 21, 2008
  4. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:46:55 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >PAJ wrote:
    >
    >> Nope. It is voipfone.
    >> They are the only ones not working with the Gigaset. That makes it their
    >> problem to fix.

    >No doubt all the following are using voipfone too!
    >
    >http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page_id=4615&comments_page=1

    Maybe you should find a better link. There is less than a handful of
    people posting there and none seem to have the same issue you describe.
    They also do not mention if they use voipfone or not.
    None seem to explain why it worked for you and "hasn't missed a beat
    since the up-grade" and at the time "voipfone one showing as registered
    straight away.".
    Now voipfone is not registering and you have issues with the Gigaset
    again. Coincidence?

    Here are some quotes I have found:

    "I did find even my trusty Draytek would
    experience such phenomena and needed a power cycle to get everything
    re-registered, though it was also sometimes highligted as a problem with
    voipfone, but less frequently documented on their site."

    "For some reason VOIPfone seems to hate the gigaset. It's been very very
    fussy about registering."

    ----
    Ooooh, does that mean they hated the Draytek too?
    ----

    "OK, so, pull the plug (something I'd got used to in the few days I
    managed to tollerate the previous unit) System re-boot, All accounts log
    in except voipfone. Same story. I could ping sip.voipfone.co.uk no
    problem but the account just wouldnt register. So call Voipfone support
    again, but 30 minutes had elapsed and account registered.
    Same as previous unit."

    "Quick test of re-boot with above services turned off give a time of
    around 6 minutes for gigaset to re-register with voipfone. (all others
    registered instantly as usual)
    Whether related to disabling gigaset.net and Info services not sure."

    "Looks a bit more promising.....
    Just loaded the "Latest (not yet official) pre-release"
    "2008-10-15 Version V02131: 021310000000 / 041.00 EEPROM version: 124"

    "No new features I can see, however 2 successive re-boots have all
    hand-sets being locked on to base unit virtually instantly.
    Access to web-interface page available within about 30 seconds of
    re-boot and all accounts invluding my voipfone one showing as registered
    straight away."

    "No problem.
    Mine hasn't missed a beat since the up-grade. Still not been enough
    in-out calls to put it under any load-test but my confidence in the
    product has risen dramatically."

    Noticed something. Yes, all quotes from you.

    Including myself I know of 5 Gigaset's in use. All using multiple
    providers and 3 different ISP's (all ADSL). None of them using voipfone.
    None of them have crashed, ever.
    All of them get registered with all providers instantly with no issues.

    PAJ, Nov 22, 2008
  5. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:51:22 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >PAJ wrote:
    >
    >> All of them get registered with all providers instantly with no issues.

    >And your usage is what, business or domestic.

    Both.

    >Incoming call frequency would be what?

    Mine, infrequent. Others I would not know but I would guess they are in
    'actual call' use for several hours a day (incoming and outgoing).

    So are you trying to say it is call volume now when earlier you wrote:

    " ARGGGGGHHHHH I've just had to pull the plug on the Siemans _again_
    after no calls were coming through!"

    So has your usage just gone up in the last few days?
    More so than the last few weeks.
    If not hen we can rule out call volumes.

    >How do you know they're not missing calls?

    How does anyone? Duh!

    >You still haven't explained how you believe a VOIP service provider can
    >cause an ATA to lock up and subsequently lock up all handsets.

    There is a post by you not so long ago where you say that disabling info
    service and Gigaset.net makes a difference, so you tell me.

    "Whether co-incidental or not, it definately seems to be more responsive
    to important stuff with the gigaset.net directory and info. services
    disabled."

    You admit there are issues with voipfone.
    What is the cause of these?
    How do you know they are not impacting on other areas of the Gigaset
    hardware.

    You still haven't explained how you think a device that works with no
    issue for weeks can suddenly stop working at the same time as they
    allegedly pull unofficial firmware and how you decide there is a link
    between the two.
    Unless we are talking about your backdoor comment. Yeah they realised
    there was an issue so they took it off your device, LOL.

    Besides how can it be crap when one minute you say:
    "If it goes a week without any odd happenings I'll be well pleased."

    Then you get longer than your week but say:
    "all recent versions of Siemans Gigaset firmware
    genuine and pre-release are oficially still completely crap"

    Make your mind up.

    Well I am telling you they are not crap. They work fine for me and many
    others. I do not hear any others with the same issues as you so consider
    it is something to do with your local set-up and/or voipfone.

    PAJ, Nov 22, 2008
  6. PAJ

    alexd Guest

    PAJ wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:51:22 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    > <> wrote:

    >> How do you know they're not missing calls?

    > How does anyone? Duh!

    Sipgate have a call register on their site. I keep CDR locally for calls
    thru my Sipgate account. If there were to be a discrepancy between the two,
    I'd know that I'd missed calls.

    > Unless we are talking about your backdoor comment. Yeah they realised
    > there was an issue so they took it off your device, LOL.

    Pete's suggestion isn't as far-fetched as it at might first appear; if there
    are parts of the phone that don't work as expected, whose to say that the
    option to disable automatic firmware updates isn't one of them?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    12:03:21 up 9 days, 14:57, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.13, 0.10

    alexd, Nov 23, 2008
  7. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:07:30 +0000, alexd <> wrote:

    >PAJ wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:51:22 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> How do you know they're not missing calls?

    >> How does anyone? Duh!

    >Sipgate have a call register on their site. I keep CDR locally for calls
    >thru my Sipgate account. If there were to be a discrepancy between the two,
    >I'd know that I'd missed calls.

    I know this and there are lots of other ways Hence my "Duh!" comment.
    Even someone saying I have been trying to ring you and you not getting
    the call or by testing it your self.
    He was trying to say I may be missing calls. I am not or I would know.

    >> Unless we are talking about your backdoor comment. Yeah they realised
    >> there was an issue so they took it off your device, LOL.

    >Pete's suggestion isn't as far-fetched as it at might first appear; if there
    >are parts of the phone that don't work as expected, whose to say that the
    >option to disable automatic firmware updates isn't one of them?

    Yeah right, your hardware has an issue so they block updates so it
    cannot be fixed. Get real. There are no backdoors.

    PAJ, Nov 23, 2008
  8. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:52:21 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >PAJ wrote:
    >
    >>> if there
    >>> are parts of the phone that don't work as expected, whose to say that the
    >>> option to disable automatic firmware updates isn't one of them?

    >> Yeah right, your hardware has an issue so they block updates so it
    >> cannot be fixed. Get real. There are no backdoors.

    >Try reading the statement again.

    Which one?

    PAJ, Nov 23, 2008
  9. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:27:25 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >> Which one?

    >That one.

    Doubtful though isn't it?
    Of course when the new firmware is available you still have to accept
    it?

    PAJ, Nov 23, 2008
  10. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:02:11 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >Why shouldn't they want to ensure every unit is on the latest firmware?
    >After all, surely they will release an excellent, majorly brilliant,
    >thoroughly tested, "official release latest upgrade" to the whole world's
    >gigaset units.... won't they?

    Unless they are running crappy voipfone.

    PAJ, Nov 24, 2008
  11. PAJ

    <> wrote:

    >PAJ wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:27:25 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> That one.

    >> Doubtful though isn't it?
    >> Of course when the new firmware is available you still have to accept
    >> it?

    >"How to update the firmware"
    >
    >"You don't need to download files. The firmware is updated directly
    >online by the Siemens Gigaset C470 IP, C475 IP, S675 IP or S685 IP."

    Yes but this is not by any backdoor method that automatically installs
    it.
    Like I said "when the new firmware is available you still have to accept
    it?". If you don't want it you can cancel it. Simple.

    PAJ, Nov 26, 2008
  12. On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:50:25 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >PAJ wrote:
    >
    >> Like I said "when the new firmware is available you still have to accept
    >> it?". If you don't want it you can cancel it. Simple.

    >But the strangeness of it all is that no sooner do the phones revert
    >back to a non-functioning, un-usable state as seen on the last
    >"official" firmware, magically the fully functioning "pre-release"
    >versions are no longer available and after 5 days of fukd up phones I am
    >met this morning with locked up phones with no displays which when the
    >batteries are removed and re-fitted (something I have got used to
    >doing), the system tells me there is a new firmware update.
    >
    >Strange as I thought I had previously disabled (un-ticked) the auto
    >update box.
    >
    >Even more strange is that once more, with the new update voipfone has
    >not the slightest hitch registering instantly.
    >
    >Which in the real world points the finger of blame entirely at the
    >gigaset and not voipfone.co.uk as you choose to suggest.

    Interestingly, this morning I had a notification, which must
    arrived last night, that there was new firmware available. I declined
    the offer, and won't do it until I know what is being changed!

    Regards,
    Harry.

    Harry Broomhall, Nov 26, 2008
  13. PAJ

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Harry Broomhall wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:50:25 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> PAJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Like I said "when the new firmware is available you still have to accept
    >>> it?". If you don't want it you can cancel it. Simple.

    >> But the strangeness of it all is that no sooner do the phones revert
    >> back to a non-functioning, un-usable state as seen on the last
    >> "official" firmware, magically the fully functioning "pre-release"
    >> versions are no longer available and after 5 days of fukd up phones I am
    >> met this morning with locked up phones with no displays which when the
    >> batteries are removed and re-fitted (something I have got used to
    >> doing), the system tells me there is a new firmware update.
    >>
    >> Strange as I thought I had previously disabled (un-ticked) the auto
    >> update box.
    >>
    >> Even more strange is that once more, with the new update voipfone has
    >> not the slightest hitch registering instantly.
    >>
    >> Which in the real world points the finger of blame entirely at the
    >> gigaset and not voipfone.co.uk as you choose to suggest.

    > Interestingly, this morning I had a notification, which must
    > arrived last night, that there was new firmware available. I declined
    > the offer, and won't do it until I know what is being changed!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Harry.

    Also got a firmware update the my C475IP this morning - don't know what
    changes have been made, but it all seems to work ok.

    Ian Pawson, Nov 26, 2008
  14. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:47:32 +0000, Ian Pawson <> wrote:

    >Also got a firmware update the my C475IP this morning - don't know what
    >changes have been made, but it all seems to work ok.

    Yep just got home and got the new version too on and working too.
    My only concern is the wife or kids (of anyone that picked the phone up)
    could have accepted the upgrade (the wife had done).
    It is only this thread that has made me think about the possibilities of
    this going wrong.
    Going to turn off the auto notification until Siemens require a password
    at the very least to accept the upgrade (only I should be able to say
    'yes' to this).

    PAJ, Nov 26, 2008
  15. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:10:06 +0000, PAJ <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:47:32 +0000, Ian Pawson <> wrote:
    >
    >>Also got a firmware update the my C475IP this morning - don't know what
    >>changes have been made, but it all seems to work ok.

    >Yep just got home and got the new version too on and working too.
    >My only concern is the wife or kids (of anyone that picked the phone up)
    >could have accepted the upgrade (the wife had done).
    >It is only this thread that has made me think about the possibilities of
    >this going wrong.
    >Going to turn off the auto notification until Siemens require a password
    >at the very least to accept the upgrade (only I should be able to say
    >'yes' to this).

    Doh, she said she did not know the PIN so had to cancel it.

    Guess I will have to do a manual upgrade.

    PAJ, Nov 27, 2008
  16. PAJ

    PAJ Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:12:38 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >PAJ wrote:
    >
    >> Guess I will have to do a manual upgrade.

    >Why upgrade somethinng that's not broken?
    >There are no new features nor operations or anything.
    >Mine was broke so upgrade was essential.
    >Yours has never had a problem so why risk it if you're worried about
    >somone else doing it?

    I want to update it myself before Siemens use the backdoor and do it for
    me.

    PAJ, Nov 27, 2008